PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Charisma-based build

Tarlek Flamehai
2012-01-01, 06:27 PM
Greetings all, this is my first post here and I hope you will be gentle with me. I am looking for help/advice with a charisma-based, fey trickster/scamp type. I am rather new to 3.5 edition and still getting my sea-legs as it were.

The setting is Forgotten Realms, no out-of-setting material or 3rd party material other than flaws is allowed. I am set on a Tiny/Small fey race with high charisma. No Lawful or Evil in this build please.

What I've been looking at so far.

32 point build
RACE: Domovoi (Fb)
LA Buyoff: 2 (UA)
UNADJUSTED STATS: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
ADJUSTED STATS: Str 8, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 26
Deity: Tymora
REGION: Bardic Tutelage (CoV)
TRAIT: Quick (UA)
FLAWS: Music Lover, Short Attention Span (www.dandwiki.com)
CLASSES: Fey2 (Fb), Battle Dancer1 (DrgComp), Favored Soul4 (CDiv), Bard1 (PH), MysWan1 (MoF), Master Thrower2 (CWar), Pious Templar1 (CDiv), Fochulcan Lyrist4 (CAdv), Two levels unplanned.
RACIAL FEAT: Simple Weapons (PH)
CLASS FEATS: Improved Unarmed Strike (PH), Light Armor (PH), Medium Armor (PH), Shields except Tower (PH), Exotic Weapon-Shuriken (PH), Weapon Focus-Shuriken (PH), Longsword (PH), Rapier (PH), Sap (PH), Short Sword (PH), Shortbow (PH), Whip (PH), Quick Draw (PH)
ACQUIRED FEATS: Artist (PGtF), True Believer (CDiv), Weapon Finesse (PH), Iron Will (PH), Versatile Performer (CAdv), Point Blank Shot (PH), Precise Shot (PH), Snowflake Wardance (Fb), Martial Study-Desert Wind (ToB)
SKILL RANKS: Balance 5, Bluff 4, Climb 4, Concentration 18, Alchemy 5, Decipher Script 7, Diplomacy 8, Escape Artist 5, Gather Information 7, Heal, Hide 5, Jump 5, Nature 7, Religion 5, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, Dance 22, Herbalist 5, Sense Motive 1, Sleight of Hand 7, Speak Language 1, Spot 5, Survival 4, Swim 5, Tumble 21, Use Magic Device 4, Use Rope 5

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to make this build more effective without losing the fun factor. I look forward to your input.

meto30
2012-01-01, 08:01 PM
Forgotten Realms! Nice to see you're playing in the realms.

There's a lot of classes in your list, so I don't think I'll be of much help power-wise, but perhaps Auspician will be a find choice, especially on the RP side? You're a Tymoran, after all.

lord pringle
2012-01-01, 08:49 PM
I don't recommend using anything on D&D wiki. Very very little is balanced as far as home brew goes. If you can get a DM to approve it though, props to you.

hex0
2012-01-01, 08:51 PM
I don't recommend using anything on D&D wiki. Very very little is balanced as far as home brew goes. If you can get a DM to approve it though, props to you.

Yeah don't use anything out of dnd wiki.

Do consider Heartwarder if you can fit it in. Or Fatemaker. Dip 1 level for +1 CHA is fun

Hirax
2012-01-02, 01:44 AM
Still getting your sea legs, hm? Not only will an admiral's bicorne grant you an untyped +5 to profession (sailor) checks, but also an untyped +5 to all charisma based checks, an untyped +5 to your leadership score, and a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks to you and all allies within the sound of your voice, which is magically amplified by the hat to be heard out to 100 feet. This can be found in Stormwrack.

Socratov
2012-01-03, 04:47 AM
Still getting your sea legs, hm? Not only will an admiral's bicorne grant you an untyped +5 to profession (sailor) checks, but also an untyped +5 to all charisma based checks, an untyped +5 to your leadership score, and a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks to you and all allies within the sound of your voice, which is magically amplified by the hat to be heard out to 100 feet. This can be found in Stormwrack.

i love that item... helped me trash a whole continent's navy with just a handful of pirates :smallbiggrin:

The DM wasn't too happy with that and regretted the fact he ever allowed me that item :) (especially refluffed as a Pirate's tricorn, I was playing Captain Jack Sparrow afterall :smallamused:)

Little Brother
2012-01-03, 05:43 AM
Thematically, I'd go something Bard/Trickster Spellthief(Dragon 353, so you might not get it). Trickster Spellthief gives you bard-level casting from a pretty broad list, but lets you get your CL absurdly high. Your build doesn't work, by the way. You need to know Druidic for Fochlucan Lyrist, and your casting is REALLY gimped. If you want higher-power casting, go Bard 1/Trickster Spellthief 9/Sublime Chord 10(Or progression PrCs). If you want ToB, go Swordsage/JMP. Martial Study with no initiator class is pretty bad, honestly.

LA is BAD, BAD, BAD! Killoren from RotW gives you Fey for LA 0, and some nifty abilities. Magic-Blooded gives you -2 Wis, +2 Cha, and some pretty nice SLAs for LA 0. Avoid the LA like the Plague, and RHD even more so.