View Full Version : Eagle Eidolon [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-02, 12:14 AM
Exactly as it sounds.
Making a Summoner.
Hoping to have a Ridable Eagle Eidolon.
Beyond
Base Form, Biped. (- Arms)
Bite(Peck), Claws, Limbs(Legs), Flight, Wing Buffet and Most likely, Large Size.
What should the Eidolon get other than those? I'm putting whatever isn't really used into Flight for higher speed.

Bhaakon
2012-01-02, 12:43 AM
I'd suggest going quadruped, since its mechanics fit the concept better. You're already fluffing away the biped's arms, so fluffing away the extra legs (which have zero mechanical effect) is just as easy, but the quadruped base form can take the mount evolution (biped can't) and gets a higher base speed (good, because fly speed is based off ground speed).

So you'll want

base: quadruped (comes with bite)

evolutions: claw, grab (w/ claw), flight, large size, mount, wing buffet, pounce (to simulate swooping in from above with claws and beak)

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-02, 10:33 AM
I'd suggest going quadruped, since its mechanics fit the concept better. You're already fluffing away the biped's arms, so fluffing away the extra legs (which have zero mechanical effect) is just as easy, but the quadruped base form can take the mount evolution (biped can't) and gets a higher base speed (good, because fly speed is based off ground speed).

So you'll want

evolutions: claw, grab (w/ claw), flight, large size, mount, wing buffet, pounce (to simulate swooping in from above with claws and beak)

Ah, thank you, and it can then get Rake as well.

CTrees
2012-01-02, 05:17 PM
I'm a big fan of taking Improved Natural Armor every time it's available. Eidolons can get enough AC to make it worthwhile, and can do it fairly cheaply.

Resistances/immunities... are often better gained through Evolution Surge, added as needed.

Wing Buffet is secondary, thus non-ideal (though I understand from a fluff perspective). Energy Attacks, though, will buff ALL of your attacks' damage (If you're already going for at least five natural attacks, as in your build...).

Quadruped + Pounce (maybe + Mount) is obviously recommended.

Speed's nice, but try to figure out how much speed you REALLY need, and what the opportunity cost becomes. Also, look towards things like a variant of Horseshoes of Speed (usually Anklets of Speed for wolves, birds, etc.). 3K gold for +30 base landspeed, which (since the Flight evolution specifies that it keys off your base landspeed) also increases your fly speed? Yep.

Grab could also be fun, both mechanically AND fluff-wise. It's a strategy real eagles use - grab prey, fly nice and high, then drop it, letting the falling damage kill it. Takes a little more work to make it function in D&D, but it could be a hilarious tactic (even without grab, honestly - some of the grapple feats would be sufficient on that, with the huge strength Large gives).

Barstro
2012-01-03, 04:32 PM

So you'll want

You can also go Serpent and not need to fluff away the arms (turn tail into fanned feathers (since tail feathers are needed for good turning in real life, maybe you can convince your DM to make you Eidolon more maneuverable)) . You still can choose mount, and also get Bite with Reach and a pointless tail slap, which works out well, because that attack looks pointless anyway.