PDA

View Full Version : Divine caster with all martials?

Mindstab_Thrull
2012-01-02, 01:03 PM
Just a quick question: Is there a full divine caster (eg the Cleric or Druid, as opposed to the Paladin) that has full proficiency with all martial weapons a la the Fighter? There's all sorts of classes that want proficiency in all martial weapons, but a buddy of mine isn't happy with having to take a level of Fighter (or the like) in order to get that. He's really interested in the Cleric, though, so we're wondering if there's something that is basically that plus the weapons. I dunno, maybe the spellcasting of a Favoured Soul and losing turning undead on an otherwise-normal Cleric would allow all martials, just a thought.

Is there such a thing?

Mindstab Thrull

erikun
2012-01-02, 01:10 PM
Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine) gets proficiency with all martial weapons, just as a start. Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) is another. I doubt that they are the only ones, either. Taking the War domain will get you proficiency with a single weapon, martial or otherwise. And really, Fighter 1/Cleric 19 is still a better choice than Favored Soul 20, due to the FS's delayed spell progression.

There is always something like Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator, if they want to be a more martially-minded Cleric.

Darrin
2012-01-02, 01:11 PM
Just a quick question: Is there a full divine caster (eg the Cleric or Druid, as opposed to the Paladin) that has full proficiency with all martial weapons a la the Fighter?

I know Dragon Slayer (Draconomicon) gives proficiency with all simple/martial weapons and with all armors (inlcuding tower shields). A one-level dip is all you need, and it advances either divine or arcane casting, but it requires Dodge and Iron Will.

There are other ways to get full martial weapon proficiency. For example, outsiders are proficient with all martial weapons, so you could start with a Neraph (Planar Handbook), Savage Progression Aasimar or Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), or take the Otherworldy feat (PGtF).

Greenish
2012-01-02, 01:15 PM
PGtF also has the feat Militia, which gives you proficiency in all martial, if your friend doesn't want to be an outsider.

Mindstab_Thrull
2012-01-03, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the prompt responses!

Just for a little clarity:

(1) We're looking for a base class, not a prestige class.
(2) I'm not saying we're thinking of Favoured Soul - I was just trying to find a way to balance things that might allow a Cleric to gain all martials.

The annoyance that my friend was finding was that you pretty much always had to take a one-level dip in something Fighter-based if there was a requirement of "all martials". He's toying with the idea of a Cleric/Monk (I'm not going to get into whether either class is good, bad, overpowered or whatnot - he knows other stuff is available and likes this), and doesn't want to have to take a *third* base class, even for a one-level dip.

Though I have to admit, I like the idea of taking an Outsider to get the martials. I should bring that up to him and see what he says.

Mindstab Thrull
Im in ur brainz, nommin ur sanity!!

Darrin
2012-01-03, 09:54 AM
(1) We're looking for a base class, not a prestige class.

Paladin, Barbarian, Ranger, Crusader, Duskblade, Hexblade, and Samurai (both OA and the craptastic version) all have full martial weapon proficiency. There are also several variants and ACFs that can be used to pick up a bonus feat or some other useful feature. For example, Dragon Totem Barbarian (UA) swaps some class features for Blind-Fight, and Ranger can swap Track for Trapfinding (Dungeonscape).

1-level dip into Prestige Paladin is actually very nice. You get all the paladin proficiencies, smite evil, and no lost caster level.

dextercorvia
2012-01-03, 12:06 PM
He's toying with the idea of a Cleric/Monk (I'm not going to get into whether either class is good, bad, overpowered or whatnot - he knows other stuff is available and likes this), and doesn't want to have to take a *third* base class, even for a one-level dip.

Shou Disciple is monklike (but better), and grants all Martial Weapons.