2012-01-02, 09:12 PM
I need to get as good a modifier as possible in:
Hide
Move Silently
Craft
Profession
Knowledge
Spellcraft
I'm 2nd level I have 663 gp and my ability scores are 18 16 14 12 10 8. I don't have to be a expert but I think expert is the only class with those as class skills. I am allowed 2 traits and flaws.

Zonugal
2012-01-02, 09:18 PM
A human paragon, or better yet a factotum, would be a better option.

Shades of Gray
2012-01-02, 09:20 PM
Specifically, which knowledge skills do you want?

Factotum has all of those skills, as does Spellthief.

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-03, 08:01 AM
Nature Arcanna and Arciticture I think

Reltzik
2012-01-03, 09:58 AM
Bard gets all of those as class skills. Go human and put that 16 into int, and you can also nab the essential bluff, diplomacy, perform, and sense motive and have a useful face. If instead you want to absolutely max out those skills....

Have a high int and dex. Take a couple of feats that boost skills. I forget what all of them are, but usually they're of the form +2 to two skills, and a lot of DMs will let you just make up a new feat of that form if the two skills are thematically linked somehow. Finally, abuse the masterwork tool rules. Want to boost your spell craft or knowledge modifiers? Blow 50 gp for a reference pamphlet that you can consult. Move Silently? 50gp for muffled boots. Etc.

Edit: Ooops, miscalculated, you won't get bluff and diplomacy. So focus on being the sage and general party support, rather than face. (Profession and Craft fit nicely into the support role.)

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-03, 10:08 AM
Where do I find factotum? Is human paragon in races of destiny or unearthed arcanna or something else? Abuse masterwork tools sounds like a good idea.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-03, 10:57 AM
Factotum is a class from Dungeonscape it is Int based and literally has Class Skill: All. It is also the only non-spellcasting/manifesting class that can go with 18 in Int and not suffer in other stats.

Human Paragon is in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm) (just scroll down a bit).

hydraa
2012-01-03, 12:46 PM
I did a scenario similar to this but just focusing on crafting and was able to get a 20 in Craft at level 1

level 1 expert crafter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223005)

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-03, 02:20 PM
Here's the Factotum Handbook:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0

Be a Factotum from Dungeonscape...

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-03, 02:49 PM
Are there any feats other than skill focus ones that give +2/+2 to two skills that help any of the listed skills other than craft? (Or feats that increase craft ones other than the ones hydraa listed).

Reltzik
2012-01-03, 02:55 PM
If you're trying to max craft or profession, don't forget a hireling assistant. Pay 1-3s per day for a perpetual reliable +2 aid-another circumstance bonus. For Craft in particular, this bonus will often be enough to pay for the assistant's wages and more. If you can persuade the DM that two or three assistants can help more than one can, you should can get multiple assistants and have their circumstance bonuses stack.

(Basic model: level 1 commoner or expert with max ranks in the craft in question, +1 ability modifier, +3 from skill focus, and they succeed the DC 10 aid-another check on anything but a nat 1. Give them masterwork tools, a second feat for a human, a racial bonus, whatever, and they auto-pass.)

hydraa
2012-01-03, 02:59 PM
PHB Steathly +2 hide and move silently

Drag Halfling Lore +2 know(local) and Know History and +4 Prof(cook)
PGF Spellwise +2 know(arcana) and +2 spellcraft
HoL Library +2 comp bonus on knowledge check for 2 knowledge skills
RoDestiny Urban stealth +3 bonus on hide and move silently in cities
PH Shadow heritage +3 bonus on hide and move silently in shadoes or darkness
PGF Forester (regional) +3 on hide, move silently, listen and spot in forest

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-03, 03:34 PM
If, rather than needing good modifiers in things like hide and move silently, you want to actually be good at hiding and scouting, then you should, you know, be a sneaky race like Whisper Gnome and get Darkstalker.

Here's a guide on how to be a good scout...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11034.0

Also, which profession do you need to be good at, and why?

Which craft do you need to be good at and why?

Which Knowledge do you need to be good at and why?

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-03, 03:46 PM
I'm in a zombie apocalypse campaign and I need profesion farmer to get food (DM said that there are farms in the middle of the city don't ask why) I need craft to make baracades I need knowledge nature (i think zombie viruses are natural) arcanna (though they probably are magicalish too) and maybe arcitecture so I can design better barcades and know how to collapse buildings so they kill the maximum possible zombies.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-03, 03:50 PM
Factotum is still the best option if you plan to rely heavily on skills, one of their signature abilties is adding INT to Dex and Int checks and adding Int to any skill check once per day per skill.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-03, 04:04 PM
Okay, lets see here. Have you heard of these items?

Everlasting Feedbag, Magic Item Compendium
Everlasting Rations, Magic Item Compendium,
Field Provisions Box, Magic Item Compendium
Survival Pouch, Magic Item Compendium
Travel Cloak, Magic of Faerun

Go look them up!

And here are some skills that would be relevant to that sort of thing:
Craft (Woodworking)
Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering)
maybe Heal

And for the type of creature, here are what the knowledge skills cover:

Arcana: Constructs, Dragons, Magical Beasts
Dungeoneering: Aberrations, Oozes
Local: Humanoids
Nature: Animals, Fey, Giants, Monstrous Humanoids, Plants, Vermin
Religion: Undead
The Planes: Outsiders, Elementals
Psionics: Astral Constructs

Also consider Collector of Stories skill trick from Complete Scoundrel, and the Absent Minded trait, and the Jack of All Trades feat.

Also remember that you can Take 10 with Crafting. With a high int and people Aiding Another and Masterwork Tools, you might be able to make a DC 15 check without too much problem, especially if you prepared a spell to help. Also remember that there are SPELLS that specifically help you with skills, especially crafting. Consider the "Magecraft" spell from Eberron Campaign Setting.

There are LOTS of low level spells to help with knowledge and skills and such:

Loresong
Ancient Knowledge
Skillful Moment
Divine Insight
Wieldskill
Guidance of the Avatar

Also, the BEST THING for surviving a zombie apocalypse? Is to be able to be in a thing that can levitate or fly indefinitely. There are several ways to do this in D&D, several spells that can take a room and make it float. Two GREAT ones are in the same book, "Shining South", called "Suspension" and "Stone Trap".

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-04, 08:21 AM
Thank you.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-04, 02:09 PM
So.... what did you end up going with?

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-04, 09:00 PM
Still not quite sure probably factotum. I all ready have a character. I made this topic so that when he dies (the zombie virus is very mean. I think that the DM said you have to make a fort save every hour once infected or take con drain) I will have an idea of what to make.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-04, 10:35 PM
Have you read the Factotum Handbook for how to build it? The one I linked you to earlier?

Greenish
2012-01-04, 10:39 PM
Are there any feats other than skill focus ones that give +2/+2 to two skills that help any of the listed skills other than craft? (Or feats that increase craft ones other than the ones hydraa listed).Shape Soulmeld from MoI can be used to boost several skills, and even without essentia is usually better than PHB skill feats.

hex0
2012-01-04, 11:26 PM
Specifically, which knowledge skills do you want?

Factotum has all of those skills, as does Spellthief.

Actually, Spellthief doesn't have profession! Lousy bums can't keep down a job (or qualify for Sublime Chord easily :smallamused: )

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-05, 07:32 AM
Have you read the Factotum Handbook for how to build it? The one I linked you to earlier?

Yes. I'll probably reread it when I'm actually making him.