PDA

View Full Version : Ice Castle Encounter

urban tornado
2012-01-03, 12:50 AM
hey guys I'm running a campaign for my mates lvl 14ish characters, and i was thinking of doing a great castle made of ice high in the mountains type thing. I have some cool ideas, such as battling ice worms druring a blizard on a giant bridge made of ice, and possessed ice sculptures that take the shape of the PCs, but I still after a few more. so i was wondering if any one else had run or played in some cool iceland style encounters, or simply just has some crazy ideas (the crazier the better)?

all advice appreciated.:smallsmile:

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-03, 12:54 AM
Look at the spell Ice Castle from Frostburn. Then upscale it for a traditionally built ice castle....

In fact, just read Frostburn cover to cover.

DigoDragon
2012-01-03, 12:32 PM
I had run an adventure once that took place in an ice castle. Here are summaries of the notes I used, subject to using the combat rules a little loosely to add some fun flavor to the adventure--

1. Ice can be very slippery. Unprepared PCs may find themselves making a lot of Balance checks. On the other hand, it can also make Bull Rush attempts more fun when the victim slide across the room and cause AoOs. :smallamused:

2. I've learned from personal experience that shards of ice can be quite sharp! A trap consisting of falling icicles onto PCs can be challenging, especially if enemies are purposely dropping them during a combat.

3. Rooms made of ice can be visually confusing, meaning they are great places to hide treasure, traps, and baddies waiting to get the jump on an adventurer.

4. An area of effect fire spell can turn a hard ice floor into a wet uneven mush, thus making the ground difficult terrain. In turn, refreezing that mush with a cold spell while someone is standing on it might get their foot stuck.

5. Animated Ice Sculptures = Fun surprise for the whole party.

Telonius
2012-01-03, 04:49 PM
My 2-year-old daughter has been watching far too many of those old holiday Rankin-Bass stop motion animations for me to even begin to answer this one in a non-ridiculous way.

Evil Wizard in charge of the castle. Victory conditions: deliver a "cursed" gift (Helm of Opposite Alignment) concealed in a brightly-wrapped package. Wizard becomes your fanatical follower if you can make a DC 20 perform (song and dance routine) check.

Encounter an awakened Reindeer, Elf Expert, and Human Ranger (Favored Enemy: Bumble; wields a big pick). Cast Darkness on the reindeer's Everburning Nose to help them out.

Special snow golem with regeneration when in a cold environment. Obtain hat from awakened rabbit to put an end to the threat.