PDA

View Full Version : Immortality with 5th level spells and lower?

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 07:03 AM
So, I'm playing a SotAO Mystic Ranger, and he's got an obsession with time magic.

What I'm wondering is, are there any pathways to immortality with 5th level spells and lower that don't require becoming undead?

Aharon
2012-01-03, 07:07 AM
One possible reading of Magic Jar allows you to permanently switch bodies by destroying your old one. This can be done as often as you wish.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-03, 07:10 AM
Be a elan or be a warforged.

Fouredged Sword
2012-01-03, 07:14 AM
I think you can embrace and shun the dark chaos your way into having wedded to history. That makes you stop ageing.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-03, 07:15 AM
You can have effective immortality by killing yourself at venerable and been Reincarnated after as Reincarnation resets your age to Young Adult. As a bonus, your mental scores don't change, which may include the bonuses to mental stats from Venerable.

LordBlades
2012-01-03, 07:16 AM
From the SRD text of Reincarnate:

The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand.

If you don't mind dying from time to time you can prolong your life indefinitely with this. Last Breath (SpC) comes without a level loss (but a small XP cost).

EDIT: swordsage'd

Chilingsworth
2012-01-03, 07:21 AM
From the SRD text of Reincarnate:

If you don't mind dying from time to time you can prolong your life indefinitely with this. Last Breath (SpC) comes without a level loss (but a small XP cost).

EDIT: swordsage'd

yeah, cast contingency to trigger a last breath spell on yourself and die periodically. Then be ready to run from the Maruts.

Little Brother
2012-01-03, 07:51 AM
Dragon 354 gives you the Wedded to History feat, which must be taken at level 1(Pro tip:You can retrain to it, but not Dark Chaos or(I think) PsyRef), which freezes you as your age forever, and gives you some sweet bonuses. One of the suggested causes is time magic, so yeah, it could work. Otherwise, there are some PrCs that grant immortality as capstones, such as Rimfire Witch(Need 9 ranks in some stuff and 1st level divine spells, makes you a fey), Winterhaunt of Ooga-booga, and others.

Champions of Ruin has the Gray Portrait, but it's an artifact. Other than that, I'm all out.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-03, 11:17 AM
Elan or Warforged will both work for you, as will Killoren or any other fey. +0 LA is your friend, though, and Killoren are pretty cool.

I think Jaebrin are +0 LA as well, but I'm AFB and cannot confirm.

TravelLog
2012-01-03, 12:54 PM
Elan or Warforged will both work for you, as will Killoren or any other fey. +0 LA is your friend, though, and Killoren are pretty cool.

I think Jaebrin are +0 LA as well, but I'm AFB and cannot confirm.

Jaebrin are LA +1

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-03, 01:16 PM
Drag. They're really neat.

Kumori
2012-01-03, 01:47 PM
I've not heard of Killoren before. What sourcebook are they from?

kardar233
2012-01-03, 01:54 PM
That would be RotW.

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 06:27 PM
Problematically, I'm a Snow Elf (and I must stay that way), and feat retraining is not an option...

Edit: Well, that's a lie. It is until this friday, as we may freely switch around anything about our characters until that point.

Grim Reader
2012-01-03, 08:05 PM
I don't think Wedded to History stops you aging. You need Kissed for that. Wedded just opens up the feat line?

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 08:07 PM
I don't think Wedded to History stops you aging. You need Kissed for that. Wedded just opens up the feat line?

Yeah, the way I read it, it just opens up a line of (pretty cool) feats.

Kaeso
2012-01-04, 08:19 AM
I think another easy way of becoming immortal is becoming the proxy of a deity. This gives you divine rank 0, which comes with immortality for as long as you stay on the good side of your deity.

Rossebay
2012-01-04, 03:43 PM
I think another easy way of becoming immortal is becoming the proxy of a deity. This gives you divine rank 0, which comes with immortality for as long as you stay on the good side of your deity.

My character is very neutral, and becoming tied to a Diety would really go against his beliefs.

sreservoir
2012-01-04, 04:55 PM
Dragon 354 gives you the Wedded to History feat, which must be taken at level 1(Pro tip:You can retrain to it, but not Dark Chaos or(I think) PsyRef), which freezes you as your age forever, and gives you some sweet bonuses. One of the suggested causes is time magic, so yeah, it could work. Otherwise, there are some PrCs that grant immortality as capstones, such as Rimfire Witch(Need 9 ranks in some stuff and 1st level divine spells, makes you a fey), Winterhaunt of Ooga-booga, and others.

Champions of Ruin has the Gray Portrait, but it's an artifact. Other than that, I'm all out.

afaict, WtH gives you an ancient background, but doesn't actually grant the Endless (Ex) trait, and is more for adding to something already immortal. tbh I prefer the reading which gives immortality, especially seeing as both the effects and immortality itself are nifty, but not especially powerful. but does it actually grant Endless anywhere?

also: magic jar is a 5th necromancy, and some trickery with it can get you immortality.

Rossebay
2012-01-04, 05:19 PM
afaict, WtH gives you an ancient background, but doesn't actually grant the Endless (Ex) trait, and is more for adding to something already immortal. tbh I prefer the reading which gives immortality, especially seeing as both the effects and immortality itself are nifty, but not especially powerful. but does it actually grant Endless anywhere?

also: magic jar is a 5th necromancy, and some trickery with it can get you immortality.

My DM is taking it as granting the Endless quality.

Which is pretty cool. Immortality obtained!

DreadWarlock
2012-01-05, 09:12 AM
can somebody explain the magic jar cuz i don't see how you could stay in the host body forever