PDA

View Full Version : OAKLINGS!!1! now that I have your attention... Oaklings!

n00b killa
2012-01-03, 09:23 AM
It doesn't take a genius to realize that oaklings are good... +2 str and wis with only a -2 charisma? Yes please!

My question, now, is weather or not they are overpowered. AND, in case that the general consensus is that they are indeed overpowered, how much? are they just really good or are they broken? how would you fix them?

My opinion is that yes, they are quite powerful and I would try to fix them with fire vulnerability at 50% or something like that... maybe removing the bonus to saves/immunities.

What do YOU think?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: The description of the race, sorry!

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/oakling

Wings of Peace
2012-01-03, 09:55 AM
They're nice and definitely superior to many melee race choices but I wouldn't call them overpowered. Unless you're a cleric then the +2 wis isn't a huge deal and if you are a cleric then the +2 str is just a slight compensation for your medium bab. I'd probably still choose a human depending on what I wanted to do.

Really the issue is that a lot of their features are mostly gimmicky rather than effective. +2 natural ac at half hp? If something has wrecked you down to have your hp then the +2 probably isn't going to be a huge game changer, especially at later levels. I view the saves in a similar manner. They're nice, but they're a long shot from nullifying the effects.

Sunheal is cute but it strikes me as more of a desperation maneuver than something that should be depended on (and since it's a standard action it's not even a mid combat desperation maneuver).

Rooted Foot is their only feature that really makes them jump out at me. +1 ab and damage along with some small tricks is okay, nothing amazing. Getting up as a swift action on the other hand is awesome if your DM likes to have the mooks do things other than roll full attacks.

I'd rank them a micrometer behind the human as a melee race on account of the Human's feat is more versatile. I say melee and not melee/divine because any divine caster who's fighting enough to get knocked over is probably using melee tactics anyways.

If you feel they need nerfing then I'd advise against something like fire weakness as 50% more damage from any source is a lot more devastating than the bonuses they receive for taking the risk of being a flammable race.