PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Level Adjustement, monster races, and such

Tzevash
2012-01-03, 10:24 AM
Maybe there's another thread about it, but I couldn't find it. :smallsigh:

However: I saw that some races like Kobold, Goblin, Drow or Orc can be used for PCs and have all stat modifiers and such. But what about, for example, Gnolls, Lizardmen and Bugbears? Can I use 3.5 modifiers? If so, how do I deal with LA in Pathfinder? :smallconfused:

How I can play monsters in PF at all?
And what about LA about archetypes (Vampire, Lich, Werewolf etc.)?

Thank you in advance. :smallredface:

Drelua
2012-01-03, 10:31 AM
Pathfinder has no LA or ECL. Whenever you would use either, just use the CR. Sometimes it doesn't give you the CR adjustment of a playable race like the Drow Noble, but you can usually figure it out. In this case, I think it's +1 CR. For monstrous races that have racial HD, it's much easier. You simply have to add their CR to their number of class levels and that's what level you treat them as. I hope that clarifies things.

Tzevash
2012-01-03, 10:36 AM
So, let's say I want to play a Lizardfolk Druid, and our party starts at 3rd level.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/lizardfolk

Lizardfolk is CR1... so, I can put 2 Druid levels at best. Right?

But where can I find the stat modifiers for my dice rolls during character creation?

Drelua
2012-01-03, 10:55 AM
To find stat modifiers you do the same thing you would have done in 3.5; subtract 10 from each ability score and round it down to an even number. So, lizardfolk for example have +2 STR, +2 CON and -2 INT. I'm not sure if this rule exists in Pathfinder, but you'll probably want to use 3.5's rule that the Elite Array of ability scores, equivalent in power to rolling 4d6b3, adds 1 CR.

I've heard Bestiary 3 has rules about playing monstrous races, but I don't have it yet so I'm not sure.

Tzevash
2012-01-03, 11:41 AM
Hm, NOW it seems very very easy and simple. Thanks a lot, d00d. :smallcool: