PDA

View Full Version : Flying without the ability to do so? 3.5!

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 07:02 PM
If one were to take the Born Flyer feat (RotW), and then the Air Elemental Heritage feat (Planar Handbook, I'd like to say?) or any other feat that increases flight speed, would they gain a flight speed at the indicated bonus?

Born flyer says that it makes the character count as having a natural fly speed, but doesn't say what it is. So if we increased this undefined (assumed 0) natural fly speed, it seems to me that they'd be able to fly.

Or take the Hover feat.

Douglas
2012-01-03, 07:11 PM
No. Born Flyer allows you to ignore certain prerequisites, but does not actually grant the ability to fly. Using it to then take a feat that increases your fly speed would still not allow you to fly, as adding a number to your lack of a fly speed still doesn't change the fact that you don't actually have a fly speed. Not having a fly speed is not the same thing as having a fly speed of 0.

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 07:18 PM
No. Born Flyer allows you to ignore certain prerequisites, but does not actually grant the ability to fly. Using it to then take a feat that increases your fly speed would still not allow you to fly, as adding a number to your lack of a fly speed still doesn't change the fact that you don't actually have a fly speed. Not having a fly speed is not the same thing as having a fly speed of 0.

Well, not quite the same thing, or I'd be able to take the heritage feat, but I understand your point.

That's disappointing, but, oh well.

gbprime
2012-01-03, 08:39 PM
Winged template from savage species FTW. +2 LA for flight speed equal to land speed +20, +4 dex, and +2 wis. and if you use the LA buy off rules, you can pay off the whole LA by level 9.

Godskook
2012-01-03, 08:42 PM
Winged template from savage species FTW. +2 LA for flight speed equal to land speed +20, +4 dex, and +2 wis. and if you use the LA buy off rules, you can pay off the whole LA by level 9.

There's easier ways to get a fly speed naturally. Dragonborn being the most popular due to how easy it is to work with.