PDA

View Full Version : Dear Playground, cojure me up a Psi-Maneuver Gish, will you?

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 08:04 PM
Just what the title says. Are there any decent PrC's that would mix&match Warblade and Psion very well?

Or, really, at all? Is this a viable Gish? Or does the maneuver component just completely die?

Ever since I read someone's post (and I forget whose it was), I've wanted to play a Psion/Warblade gish.

Urpriest
2012-01-03, 08:11 PM
Jade Pheonix Mage has an adaptation section for a Jade Pheonix Psion, but you'd have to do most of the work constructing it yourself.

There are a few such PrCs on the homebrew sections of this site, with Ephemeral Blade being the most famous.

You can make a Decent Ardent gish without such a PrC by taking advantage of how initiating and Ardent respond to multiclassing.

Rubik
2012-01-03, 08:13 PM
Jade Pheonix Mage has an adaptation section for a Jade Pheonix Psion, but you'd have to do most of the work constructing it yourself.This is exceptionally easy, to the tune of turning spell slots into power point equivalents (which is basically [spell level x2]-1). Voila.

Also, ask about gestalt?

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 08:15 PM
Jade Pheonix Mage has an adaptation section for a Jade Pheonix Psion, but you'd have to do most of the work constructing it yourself.

There are a few such PrCs on the homebrew sections of this site, with Ephemeral Blade being the most famous.

You can make a Decent Ardent gish without such a PrC by taking advantage of how initiating and Ardent respond to multiclassing.

How does Ardent respond to multiclassing in a different way when compared to Psion?

Urpriest
2012-01-03, 08:19 PM
How does Ardent respond to multiclassing in a different way when compared to Psion?

Ardents don't have a maximum level for powers known. Instead, they can learn any power that their ML is high enough for them to manifest. So Practiced Manifester lets you get powers of a character 4 levels higher.

Urpriest
2012-01-03, 08:22 PM
This is exceptionally easy, to the tune of turning spell slots into power point equivalents (which is basically [spell level x2]-1). Voila.

Also, ask about gestalt?

You'd also want to change the CL-granting abilities, since ML in Psionics is intended to be harder to get ahold of.

Metahuman1
2012-01-03, 08:23 PM
So Multyclass Ardent with Warblade and get a Brilliant energy sword, then name the character Luke or Ben and you now have your Jedi Knight. And he's probably far more Jedi like the Jedi Class in Star Wars Saga edition.

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 08:27 PM
So Multyclass Ardent with Warblade and get a Brilliant energy sword, then name the character Luke or Ben and you now have your Jedi Knight. And he's probably far more Jedi like the Jedi Class in Star Wars Saga edition.

Hahaha. You guys are awesome.

This may be the character I planned to name Theos Wisr (pronounced, "Vizier.")

Actually, that could work VERY well.
Well, thanks, guys. This is a decent start to my next character. Though, TBH, I'd really rather have Psion (for Intelligence Synergy, unless you guys know of a way to make it work?)...

Metahuman1
2012-01-03, 08:30 PM
What stat is Ardent Key'd off of?

And if not int, is there a way to change the Ardent/Psion or Warblades Mental Stat Key so that you can get your Synergy?

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 08:36 PM
What stat is Ardent Key'd off of?

And if not int, is there a way to change the Ardent/Psion or Warblades Mental Stat Key so that you can get your Synergy?

Ardent is keyed off of Wisdom, sadly.

I know very little about the Ardent class, so I can't say whether or not the Ardent would have any sort of class feature that'd let it switch a key stat like that.

Rubik
2012-01-03, 09:24 PM
You'd also want to change the CL-granting abilities, since ML in Psionics is intended to be harder to get ahold of.Why would you want to do that?

Any item or spell that boosts generic CL will boost ML as well, and there's a feat (and a class feature!) in the XPH that does so.

Boosting ML is fairly easy, so why would I want to change an ability which is cut-and-dry on how it works?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-03, 09:31 PM
Ephemeral Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5883542) is awesome and I think the intended entry was Psion 3/Warblade 2 or Warblade 1/Psion 4.

Pretty neat Int synergy between those classes.

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 10:56 PM
Ephemeral Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5883542) is awesome and I think the intended entry was Psion 3/Warblade 2 or Warblade 1/Psion 4.

Pretty neat Int synergy between those classes.

But is Ephemeral Blade viewed as well-balanced?

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-03, 11:02 PM
Certainly. It has a number of flavorful and interesting abilities, none of which grant PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER on their own.

Also, its creator is a well-respected and oft-quoted member of these boards and others.

I never allow homebrew in my games, but if I did, this would be one of the classes I would let in.

Rossebay
2012-01-03, 11:04 PM
Certainly. It has a number of flavorful and interesting abilities, none of which grant PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER on their own.

Also, its creator is a well-respected and oft-quoted member of these boards and others.

I never allow homebrew in my games, but if I did, this would be one of the classes I would let in.

Well, thank you for putting my mind at ease. :D

Keld Denar
2012-01-04, 01:27 AM
I played an Ephemeral Blade on an Ardent3/Warblade2 chassis, focusing on Wisdom. It was incredibly fun. Ardents get the Freedom mantle, which gives the amazing swift action Dimension Hop. I had Imp Crit with a falchion that was a Mindfeeder weapon, so I always had tons of bonus PP to bounce around the battlefield with. It was a riot. Oh, and Link Power is awesome with this. Move in, strike with a DM strike like Emerald Razor or Ruby Knightmare, then Dim Hop out of the way. I didn't make it to Diamond Rift stance, but that simply would have reversed the order to get the extra strike/round.

kardar233
2012-01-04, 02:05 AM
Additionally, if you can convince your DM to stretch magic-psionics transparency a bit more than is stated, you can play an Aeshkrau Illumian and key your Ardent bonus PP off of Strength. Add Half-Minotaur and Lolth-touched to taste.