PDA

View Full Version : Drinking in the Hunger Games[PF/3.5]DnD

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-03, 10:11 PM
So tomorrow I get to play a Pathfinder Campaign, and to coincide with this event and me finishing the Hunger Games Trilogy, I want to make a character based on my favourite character, Haymitch Abernathy, for those of you who don't know, and didn't infer this from the title, He has a slight drinking problem. My first thought was Drunken Master, however it kind of sucks. The 3.0 from Sword and Fist doesn't seem as awful, but keyword, AS. Now this game could either end up being 3.5 or Pathfinder (DM is new to the system) So I'm looking for a Melee Character that has feats, or preferably some form of class that focuses on Drinking and/or being Drunk. From what I've found through searching are the following.

3.0 Drunken Master
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010105
3.5 Drunken Master
3.75[PF] Drunken Master Monk Archetype (Not exactly fond of Monks)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/drunken-master
3.75[PF] Drunken Brute Barbarian Archetype (Good Experience but the Barbarian just uses the alcohol to fuel 1 round of Rage)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/drunken-brute
As for Stats the build (to stick to character might look like this)
Str 14
Con 16
Dex 13
Int 17
Wis 15
Cha 9
He seems to be decently strong, I imagine good constitution due to drinking. Dexterity isn't mentioned but the scenes that describe fighting seem to hint more at strength than dexterity. His highest spot would be Intelligence, although it's wasted on most things he does, Wisdom is high as well. Charisma is low because of generally shabbiness and dislike of people in general.

If nothing can be found I'll probably just run him as Fighter x/Drunken Brute x
I'd go Gladiator x/Drunken Brute x only because in a way he was a gladiator. As far as weapons, definitely a Knife, it's what he used to help win when he was in the games and it seems he always has one on his person.

So in the end,
1. Has anyone statted out Haymitch? (Either Pathfinder or 3.5)
2. Does anyone know of any Classes/Prestige Classes that involve Drinking other than the one's listed above?
3. If not, do you have thoughts or opinions on the classes listed above?
4. If you also agree that Drunken Brute is the best that can be found, what class do you think should be taken before (He wasn't always a drunk, but then again you can rage without the alcohol so just straight no chaser might work.)

Eldest
2012-01-03, 10:14 PM
Why would you have to have the drinking part of the mechanics? I can't help with any of your questions, though, sorry.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-03, 10:19 PM
Why would you have to have the drinking part of the mechanics? I can't help with any of your questions, though, sorry.

Because if not there's really not much separating him from a standard melee character. Plus Alcohol usually has a negative side affect, so to pull a positive from drinking would be nice. And that's okay, just you posting bumps this up to the top so that someone who can might be able to. If you want to, maybe read over the links to see if you have an opinion?

Wyntonian
2012-01-03, 11:01 PM
Eh, for most guys like that I'd consider Factotum. They can good at pretty much whatever they need to be, don't have any really built-in fluff making them versatile enough to fit most characters. As someone once told me "The protagonist is always a factotum". Not always true, but if you can't figure it out, factotum is a pretty solid guess. At higher levels they can copy other classes (ex) features like, guess what, those of a drunken master.

As for why it specifically fits the character? Step away from the drinking for a moment. Think about the time he won the Hunger Games and how he did it. He sure as hell didn't use his superior "HULK SMASH" powers. Hell, he was running away with his guts hanging out close to the end. He won because he was smarter, used the terrain more effectively and thought laterally.

And factotums are based of Intelligence, your highest stat. Coincidence? Maybe, but a convenient one for you.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-03, 11:32 PM
Eh, for most guys like that I'd consider Factotum. They can good at pretty much whatever they need to be, don't have any really built-in fluff making them versatile enough to fit most characters. As someone once told me "The protagonist is always a factotum". Not always true, but if you can't figure it out, factotum is a pretty solid guess. At higher levels they can copy other classes (ex) features like, guess what, those of a drunken master.

As for why it specifically fits the character? Step away from the drinking for a moment. Think about the time he won the Hunger Games and how he did it. He sure as hell didn't use his superior "HULK SMASH" powers. Hell, he was running away with his guts hanging out close to the end. He won because he was smarter, used the terrain more effectively and thought laterally.

And factotums are based of Intelligence, your highest stat. Coincidence? Maybe, but a convenient one for you.

Very, very, very true. Will a Factotum work fine in Pathfinder (Mostly a Joke, I know their awesome) I will still go Drunken Brute after a bit, just because after he wins and his family is offed, well, you've clearly read the books.

Wyntonian
2012-01-03, 11:33 PM
Oh, sorry, just saw your sig about not wanting to hear about factotums. I guess it's ok, though. And yeah, I think a factotum would do decently in PF, little rule tweaks aside.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-03, 11:43 PM
Oh, sorry, just saw your sig about not wanting to hear about factotums. I guess it's ok, though. And yeah, I think a factotum would do decently in PF, little rule tweaks aside.

It's okay, this is an exception, just for the longest time whenever I'd ask a question or go to answer someone else's Factotum would be posted and then Ninja'd and Swordsage'd all to the point that it was bothersome same with people suggesting Warblade or Swordsage, I get their good (and yes some/often times the best solution.) but it just gets bothersome to see it hundreds of times. But in the end that's what Haymitch is, a Factotum. He's an angry drunk now, (so maybe 3 levels? Does it state what year his family was killed? and then Drunken Brute) also I've been in a group that had both a Crusader, Swordsage and a Warblade and was rendered ineffective at pretty much everything. (Worst part being they didn't know their maneuvers and what not, I managed to order a Pizza and receive a Pizza before we finished two rounds of combat.)

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-08, 12:11 PM
Cough, Small Bump. Just alcohol affects in DnD in general.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-14, 06:49 PM
So beyond the Drunken Brute and the Drunken Master alcohol has no real class or ability representation in DnD/Pathfinder, albeit it weak representation. (Final Bump, Honest)

Gnaeus
2012-01-14, 07:00 PM
Well, I don't really see Haymitch getting any combat advantage from his drinking. He drinks because his life is depressing, not because it makes him awesome.

But you could always make him an alchemist, with accelerated drinker trait and delay potion feat. He's taking sips from his flasks constantly. Maybe make him a vivisectionist, I can see him sneak attacking more than throwing bombs.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-14, 07:13 PM
Well, I don't really see Haymitch getting any combat advantage from his drinking. He drinks because his life is depressing, not because it makes him awesome.

But you could always make him an alchemist, with accelerated drinker trait and delay potion feat. He's taking sips from his flasks constantly. Maybe make him a vivisectionist, I can see him sneak attacking more than throwing bombs.

I've already given up on Haymitch. I'm just looking for alcohol affects in DnD or Pathfinder beyond the Drunken Master, Drunken Brute and the Costs of the various alcohols (as well as penalties)