PDA

View Full Version : Melee crowd control + AoO effects

sonofzeal
2012-01-04, 12:41 AM
What are the various options for melee crowd control?

- Improved Trip + Reach
- Stand Still
- Goad
- Knight's Challenge
- Martial Stance: Iron Guard's Glare

Any others?

Perhaps more importantly: are there any spells or magic items that either give extra AoO's, or make AoO's better?

Campbellk8105
2012-01-04, 01:17 AM
Not sure if this helps any, but in a previous campaign. My DM allowed me to use TWF with whips. Normally whips don't threaten an area even though they have reach but I was allowed to threaten the area around me.

That said, with the above stuff listed, the TWF with whips made my character near unstoppable to get close to.

Also, perhaps karmic strike, robilars gambit, and thicket of blades maybe?

Curious
2012-01-04, 01:26 AM
Antagonize. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/antagonize)

Might be a little broken.

Feytalist
2012-01-04, 02:26 AM
I seem to remember seeing a gloves/gauntlets/something of opportunity in the MIC, which gives a slight boost to your AoOs. I forget exactly what it does, though.

Funkyodor
2012-01-04, 02:31 AM
Just remember Soft Cover provided by creatures (PC's included) prevent Attacks of Opportunity.

sonofzeal
2012-01-04, 02:36 AM
Antagonize. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/antagonize)

Might be a little broken.
That looks like Goad on crack, which is awesome. Massively exploitable outside of combat though. It seriously needs some limit on who it can affect.

Problem is, PF's going to be dubious at best. I'll run it by though.

Darrin
2012-01-04, 08:47 AM
Perhaps more importantly: are there any spells or magic items that either give extra AoO's, or make AoO's better?

Bracers of Opportunity (2300 GP, MIC). Immediate action to take an AoO 2/day, even if you've reached your max for the round. While this is somewhat unimpressive and the 2/day is annoying, there's nothing preventing you from carrying multiple bracers and re-equipping a new pair after every encounter.

Counterstrike Bracers (2500 GP, MIC). Similar to the Bracers of Opportunity, and still 2/day, but triggers after an opponent misses an attack. While this allows you to make AoOs even when your opponent doesn't normally provoke one, it still requires your opponent to miss an attack roll. As with the Bracers of Opportunity, once you've used the 2/day, you can swap on another pair of bracers for more.

Phylactery of Change (11600 GP, A&EG). All-day polymorph up to 7HD, polymorph = access to larger sizes = reach. Remorhaz (improved grab, swallow whole) and Treant (15' reach) are both quite nifty.

Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD). Alter self at will. Hornhead Saurial (Serpent Kingdoms WE) = only large humanoid still in print.

Ithandor
2012-01-04, 08:48 AM
Seconding Campbellk's suggestion of Thicket of Blades.

In terms of magic items, Bracers of Opportunity are cheap, give you +2 to hit with AoOs if you have Combat Reflexes, and twice a day allow you to gain an additional AoO in a round past your normal limit.

Also, Steadfast Boots count any two-handed weapon you carry as readied against a charge, granting you an extra (double damage) attack against people who charge you.

Both are in Magic Item Compendium.

Keld Denar
2012-01-04, 09:44 AM
Optimized Intimidate is another form of melee crowd control, especially if you have Imperious Command.

Prowass is a psionic power that gives you an extra AoO per round.

El Dorado
2012-01-04, 09:54 AM
Also from Pathfinder:

Combat Patrol (Combat)
You range across the battlefield, dealing with threats wherever they arise.
Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Mobility, base attack bonus +5.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you may set up a combat patrol, increasing your threatened area by 5 feet for every 5 points of your base attack bonus. Until the beginning of your next turn, you may make attacks of opportunity against any opponent in this threatened area that provokes attacks of opportunity. You may move as part of these attacks, provided your total movement before your next turn does not exceed your speed. Any movement you make provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.

Essence_of_War
2012-01-04, 10:51 AM
Don't forget Imp. Bull Rush + Knockback!

Earth Devotion and Bulwark of Defense can both make it very hard for enemies to maneuver around you without teleportation effects.

I think that the Deepstone Sentinel has a similar ability, but it comes online MUCH later.