PDA

View Full Version : Any moving house advice?

Juggling Goth
2012-01-04, 03:12 PM
So I'm moving house for only the second time in my life, and the first time, I moved in with an old friend who owned the place. Now I'm flat/house-hunting with my girlfriend. It's all new and terrifying.

Does anybody have any tips for what we ought to be looking for (thinking particularly in terms of whether the place is gonna burn/fall down around our ears) or any pitfalls? What did you wish you'd known?

I'm in the UK, and I'll be tossing my stuff into storage in the meantime so I can travel light as possible. I am going to be trying to transport a 3'x2'x2' vivarium and 4' snake, which will be interesting. (I also know that this may make househunting easier - confined and tidy pet - or harder - aargh, snake! - than having a dog or cat.) I may or may not be able to afford a removal truck.

Plus as I implied above, I'm gonna be moving in with my girlfriend. We're pretty compatible in terms of sleeping hours, how much noise we make, our hobbies. We're gonna be renting so we're only making one big change at a time. I'm vegetarian and she's not, but I can live with having meat around and washing up after it; I have done for the past seventeen years. We know I'm a bit more neurotic about cleaning and bills than she is, and we've talked about setting aside regular time to deal with those. We're going to each have our own rooms because we both tend towards wanting our own space. What are we missing? What do you wish you'd known?

Yora
2012-01-04, 03:28 PM
Transportation may be something to keep in mind. If you have a car or two, that's not much of a problem, but if not, having a bus stop nearby and a place to shop for food are both important factors. If you have bikes, you need a place to keep them.
Before you sign anything, take a quick check of windows and under sinks. You don't want to find something breaking a year later and get through the trouble of proving if it was about to fall apart before you moved in. If something looks like its damaged or might need replacement in a few years, have the owner take care of it or at least sign a list of minor problems that existed before you moved in, depending on how the laws are where you a going to live. Just so when something needs repairing, you can prove it when it wasn't caused by you.

Juggling Goth
2012-01-04, 03:41 PM
I TOTALLY forgot about bike storage. Which would suck, since I have two of them! Thanks.

We're aiming to be in walking distance of the allotment where I keep my chickens, which incidentally is also in walking distance of some decent bus routes and a train station, plus some local shops. But yes. Important stuff.

I will bear that in mind about windows and sinks.

Yora
2012-01-04, 04:01 PM
At least in Germany, were we are absolutely pedantic about filling out form and would put every soviet bureaucrat to shame, you can easily get checklists for such things, which are signed in addition to the rent contract. I assume you can get something like that in english as well, to be signed by both parties after inspecting it before moving in.

A simple tip, but easy to forget, is to purchase new stuff you might need after you moved in. Then you will see what you really need, what actually fits where you want it, and you have less trouble with transportation.

Juggling Goth
2012-01-04, 04:06 PM
Cool; thank you.

Brother Oni
2012-01-04, 04:20 PM
Yora's pointed out making a note of any existing damage and room conditions, which is especially important if the place is part furnished.

First thing I'd do is find out whether the property is managed by a letting agents or the landlord themselves. If it's a letting agency, ask them whether it's partly or fully managed - if it's fully managed, then any time you have a problem, they'll sort it out. In any other case, you'll have to deal with the landlord.

You know about checking whether you're allowed pets, but I'd take the time to read the fine print in your lease as well, paying attention to the noise clauses (usually no external noise between 11pm and 7am) and any special property specific clauses included.

Take a note of the meter readings (gas and electricity) when you move in. If the electricity meter is fed by a key, find out the nearest place where you can put money on the key.

Don't forget to get your utilities (including internet) disconnected at your old place on the day you move out and make sure you know when they're getting connected at your new place.
On that note, find out where your stopcock and fuse box is, so you can turn on the water and electricity!

If they're not provided, you're going to need a washing machine and a fridge/freezer. If you don't know some strong lads and/or someone who knows how to fit them, make sure that you buy them from somewhere that delivers and installs.

If you're living in a slightly dodgy area, check with the agent who else might have keys to the property (should only be them and the landlord) and arrange for tenants insurance - landlord insurance covers the building only, not your stuff.

I assume you don't have a car, so parking (especially allocated parking in a residents only zone) shouldn't be a worry.

If you want to redecorate (including hanging up pictures), make sure you don't need the landlord's permission first - if you do, get it (preferably in writing) before doing anything.

Other than that, it's only relatively minor things (smoke alarms, etc) or things that get dealt with when they crop up (like damage to the garden fence).

Edit: Yora's reminded me about a critical thing when buying appliances - take a tape measure to what you want to fit and where you want to put it. If in doubt whether it's going to fit, a good rule of thumb is to assume the appliance is an inch bigger than it actually is.

Asta Kask
2012-01-04, 04:20 PM
Pick up moving boxes at the closest supermarket. Ask for the boxes they transport bananas in - they are sturdy and can handle pretty much anything you can put in them. In Sweden you get them for free.

Juggling Goth
2012-01-04, 04:22 PM
Brother Oni - *Nods* I hadn't thought of a bunch of that. Thank you.

Asta - good idea. The storage place wants to charge loads for boxes, and I'm sure there's places I can scrounge them free.

Newman
2012-01-04, 04:25 PM
I think you will find this advice very very useful. (http://lesswrong.com/lw/7am/rational_home_buying/)

Juggling Goth
2012-01-04, 04:37 PM
Huh, that's neat.

I am trying to stay rational about this. I have already warned my girlfriend that I may panic and start making terrible "IT'S GOT WALLS! WE'LL TAKE IT!" decisions.

Asta Kask
2012-01-04, 04:39 PM
This may be self-evident, but... mark each box carefully. Make lists of what each box contains. Saves hours of fun rummaging through the boxes.

Castaras
2012-01-04, 04:50 PM
Asta - good idea. The storage place wants to charge loads for boxes, and I'm sure there's places I can scrounge them free.

Supermarkets. I have many memories from when I was little of mum poking me at picking up some of the boxes under checkout counters for storage and such. :smallsmile:

Yora
2012-01-04, 04:56 PM
If they're not provided, you're going to need a washing machine and a fridge/freezer. If you don't know some strong lads and/or someone who knows how to fit them, make sure that you buy them from somewhere that delivers and installs.
A fridge is easy, they don't weigh much. Washing machines are not! They are weighted down so they stey in place and don't kick off everything put on them.
If you buy a new one, ask if they deliver it. Some larger stories even do that for free and they bring it right where you want it. If you have to move it, find someone who can give you one of these.
http://www.jh-profishop.de/media/resources/images/large/Sackkarre-Premium-aus-Aluminium.-Tragkraft-150kg-Schaufel-32x25cm_$_T9-2.jpg
A heavy duty one, this things are made for exactly that purpose. We got one from my granddad. Getting a washing machine up the stairs with one of them only requires two moderately strong guys or a strong one and a punny one. Without one, I have no idea how to get a washing machine up stairs.
Consider a refridgerator with a freezer compartment. That might be enough for you without need of an additional full size freezer. Also, pay a little bit extra to get energy efficient fridge and washing machine. These things can swollow a lot of power and it pays in the long run.

Buying some good moving boxes should be considered if you expect to move a lot in the next years. I bought a bunch six years ago and moved three times with them and expect to move again two more times the next three years. Really was a good purchase for me.
However, I never labled anything. I only put a strip of packing tape on those that contain breakable things. Just remember when you pack them, to fill them with stuff that is supposed to go in the same room. Usually, you have to unpack everything anyway.

Important note that you don't suspect unless someone tells you or you tried doing it: Paper is damn heavy. If you have books or magazines, or the like, put them in small boxes. Large boxes are for clothes and other leightweight stuff. Even a mid size box filled all up with books might be impossible to lift.

Prepare tools: Some furniture might need to be partly disassembled for transport, so check which tools you will need in advance, so you have them all at hand.
Also, if it's your first own home, get a toolbox. Some screwdrivers, a pipe wrench, a hammer, and duct tape, and you will be able to face almost any minor problems you may encounter. Basic electrician equipment may also be handy if you know how to use it. But thinking of it, get a cable cutter and some electricians tape even if you don't. If something comes up and you have someone who can take a look at it, he'll probably not have tools with him. If it's something simple and he knows what to do, having a cutter and tape means he doesn't have to come back with his own later.
Which also brings me to another thing: Get basic dressing material for small injuries. A first aid kit for cars and a pack of asperin should help dealing with all minor injuries you can reasonably expect to happen. It's just anoying when all you need is a band aid, but it's sunday. Get both the tools and first aid stuff before you start moving. Moving is one of those situations where both are frequently needed. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2012-01-04, 04:57 PM
Supermarkets. I have many memories from when I was little of mum poking me at picking up some of the boxes under checkout counters for storage and such. :smallsmile:

Some liquor stores stock decent sized boxes as well. Most of these places are more than happy to let you take as many as you want for nothing, because that saves them from having to break them down and toss them themselves.

As far as house hunting. I would recommend looking at traffic in the area. Check out the neighborhood at several times during the day to see if it gets really busy and loud, or if it stays fairly decent. Nothing more annoying than having to spend 5 minutes entering or leaving your own driveway because of heavy traffic at specific times of day.

Brother Oni
2012-01-05, 06:05 AM
A fridge is easy, they don't weigh much. Washing machines are not! They are weighted down so they stey in place and don't kick off everything put on them.

Juggling Goth is moving in with her girlfriend. I've learnt the hard way not to over-estimate how much a pair of girls can move (no offence intended), especially when the typical 'fridge in this country is one of these things (http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Fridge-Freezers/buy-HOTPOINT-FF187BWP-Fridge-Freezer/734438#product_desciption).
They're not heavy I agree, but they're bulky.

Getting a washing machine up the stairs with one of them only requires two moderately strong guys or a strong one and a punny one. Without one, I have no idea how to get a washing machine up stairs.

A bit of muscle power, or in my case, me on one end and my wife and sister on the other. :smalltongue:

Also, pay a little bit extra to get energy efficient fridge and washing machine. These things can swollow a lot of power and it pays in the long run.

A very good point. She should definitely go for an A or B energy rating one - they may be a bit more expensive, but they definitely pay for themselves in running costs.

Buying some good moving boxes should be considered if you expect to move a lot in the next years.

Alternately, just visit your nearest decent sized supermarket - I got my last lot of boxes from Sainsburys for free and as Asta Kask said, banana boxes are very durable.
They may not last as long as proper moving boxes, but since they're free and you can pick them up at the same time you do your weekly shop, it doesn't matter.

Also, if it's your first own home, get a toolbox.

It depends on whether she's renting or buying (I think she was renting) and how good she is at DIY.
If she's renting and not very good at it, I advise against doing her own repairs as any damage done during the repair is going to come out of her deposit and if the repair is not to a standard that the agent/landlord is happy with, it's going to get repaired again at her own cost.

Some screwdrivers, a pipe wrench, a hammer, and duct tape, and you will be able to face almost any minor problems you may encounter.

I'd also add polyfilla (http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/fillers.jsp) (or spackling paste according to Wikipedia) for all those little gouges in the wall that inevitably happen (use an old credit card instead of a putty knife to level it off) and some very strong glue (I suggest No More Nails) for small things that fall off or come loose.

I'd offer some more DIY advice, but I think that'd be a separate thread.

Which also brings me to another thing: Get basic dressing material for small injuries. A first aid kit for cars and a pack of asperin should help dealing with all minor injuries you can reasonably expect to happen.

I suggest paracetamol rather than aspirin (less chance of allergic reactions), but a basic medical kit would be a good idea if you know you're going to hurt yourself.

Yora
2012-01-05, 07:12 AM
It depends on whether she's renting or buying (I think she was renting) and how good she is at DIY.
If she's renting and not very good at it, I advise against doing her own repairs as any damage done during the repair is going to come out of her deposit and if the repair is not to a standard that the agent/landlord is happy with, it's going to get repaired again at her own cost.
I was thinking more in general. Sometimes you need these things to faster a screw on a bike and other mundane stuff like that. At some points in your life you'll need tools, and then its better to already have them.

Asta Kask
2012-01-05, 07:32 AM
Juggling Goth is moving in with her girlfriend. I've learnt the hard way not to over-estimate how much a pair of girls can move (no offence intended), especially when the typical 'fridge in this country is one of these things (http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Fridge-Freezers/buy-HOTPOINT-FF187BWP-Fridge-Freezer/734438#product_desciption).
They're not heavy I agree, but they're bulky.

These ladies happen to be rather athletic. They both practice martial arts and roller skates (?) so they should be in pretty good shape.

Goth, don't forget that moving house is why God gave us friends. My recommendation is to let the young one's carry and the older one's make food - i.e., have your friends help you with moving and have your parents make them dinner as a reward afterwards.

And don't strangle your spouse while moving.

Traab
2012-01-05, 10:31 AM
And don't strangle your spouse while moving.

Good point, if you do, thats just one more thing you will have to carry around.

Brother Oni
2012-01-05, 10:57 AM
These ladies happen to be rather athletic. They both practice martial arts and roller skates (?) so they should be in pretty good shape.

Oh really? :smallbiggrin:

*Wishes for the umpteenth time that GitP has a waggly eyebrow smiley*

Yora
2012-01-05, 11:00 AM
I moved with only three people each time and with just the stuff for one person that was quite enough manpower. If you get personal stuff and clothing for one additional person, make it 4 people and you should be good to go.
Furniture is the difficult part, but doesn't increase that much with a second person moving in.

Juggling Goth
2012-01-05, 02:17 PM
It's just me that does the martial arts, actually. But the roller skating is a full-contact sport. I've had more injuries from that than from karate.

Ugh, paper, yes. I work in a library, so I'm pretty familiar with how heavy pages can be. And every fortnight it's the paper and not the plastic/metal/glass recycling I'm swearing over :smallsmile: Sadly, I'm both a big reader and a hoarder.

I have at least screwdrivers, a saw, a hammer, glue, screws and nails. And I'm a first-aider at both work and skating, so I have my own first-aid kit.

The missus and I have talked about the likelihood of this causing our first screamed argument, yes, and we'll try not to think it's the end of the world if it does.

Most of my furniture is, touch wood, the kind that can be disassembled and reassembled. Especially my bed, which is metal and bolted together.

The place we looked at today had a fridge, big freezer and washing machine come with. Which is partly good - wooo! No carrying washing machines! That was nearly a deal-breaker when I helped a friend move a few months back - and partly, well, crap, we'd have to decide what to do with the washing machine and fridge she's already got. I'd want a bigger freezer than the one she has, anyway, since I'm big on frozen vegetables, and most people prefer it if I keep my snake's mice in a separate compartment from the human food.

I also found the fact it had several steps up to the front door strangely enticing. And I'm like, girl, you will have to move heavy objects in. And you play two sports that are notoriously hard on the knees. And they will be treacherous in the dark. Why do you like the steps?

Goth, don't forget that moving house is why God gave us friends. My recommendation is to let the young one's carry and the older one's make food - i.e., have your friends help you with moving and have your parents make them dinner as a reward afterwards.

Point. I don't play that well with others, and I have an unfortunate tendency to hide myself away, wrestle with things by myself and then show up knackered, at which point everyone goes, "Why didn't you ask us to help, you idiot?"

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-05, 03:10 PM
On the subject of getting boxes from Supermarkets, etc.: Times are changing a little on this- I work in a UK convenience store, and boxes get broken down and sent back via our supply chain, and we sell them back into the cardboard industry... So not all places will have them available for customers these days.

Most supermarkets still do in my experience, and I'll second the recommendation for boxes from fruit and veg in particular- they make excellent ways of transporting books, DVDs, etc. even though you'll have to make more trips back and forth from property to vehicle with them.

Juggling Goth
2012-02-07, 02:35 AM
Just want to say thanks to everybody who gave me advice - I'm now in a house with my girlfriend :smallbiggrin:

Brother Oni
2012-02-07, 12:24 PM
And given that you're both posting and talking about your girlfriend in the present tense, I'm guessing it well well (or at least, with no crippling injuries/arguments). :smallbiggrin:

Juggling Goth
2012-02-07, 06:14 PM
And given that you're both posting and talking about your girlfriend in the present tense, I'm guessing it well well (or at least, with no crippling injuries/arguments). :smallbiggrin:

Am I gonna nauseate everybody if I say it's really, really nice? Between work, karate, roller derby (we skate in different leagues), etc, etc, seeing enough of each other was getting to be really hard work. And now it's like, here she is! In the same house! :smallbiggrin:

I have some slightly sore muscles since I got designated The Person Carrying The Other End Of The Washing Machine And Sofa, and the standard bruises from getting bulky things upstairs, but otherwise, we're all good.

ProtectorRoss
2012-02-20, 10:02 AM
My advice is going to be to get home insurance. Get it right away so that your home can be repaired as soon as something happens. You will need to shop around in order to get the best insurance rates for your situation and your location.

The easiest way to shop around for insurance quotes is to use an online insurance site such as HomeInsurance.org (http://www.homeinsurance.org/).

Lea Plath
2012-02-20, 11:31 AM
Remember, about 6 moves = 1 house fire in terms of lost stuff. So try to keep an eye on everything, wrap it up well, etc.

Before you start moving, make sure you have a kettle, running water, tea bags, coffee, whatever. Trust me, a kettle in a new house is a god send.

Don't buy boxes, they tend to cost an arm and a leg from a moving company, get them free any way possible. The banana thing is a great idea.

Use this as a chance to clear stuff out and sell it. Less unneeded stuff you take the better.

Try and pack all the stuff you need into a few boxes together, so you can easily get to the important stuff.

Brother Oni
2012-02-20, 11:55 AM
My advice is going to be to get home insurance. Get it right away so that your home can be repaired as soon as something happens. You will need to shop around in order to get the best insurance rates for your situation and your location.

The easiest way to shop around for insurance quotes is to use an online insurance site such as HomeInsurance.org (http://www.homeinsurance.org/).

Two things:

She's renting, so she needs tenants' insurance to cover their contents. The actual bricks and mortar of the home is covered by the landlord under a separate policy.

She's in the UK, so that website link is not applicable.

Juggling Goth
2012-02-20, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I think it's contents insurance that we need. It's on the list, after TV licence. Things that are gonna happen after payday; I already had to get two lots of rent out of one paycheque.

Brother Oni
2012-02-21, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I think it's contents insurance that we need.

Make sure you get tenants contents insurance - some companies and policies can get a bit iffy about paying up if you took out home contents insurance but don't actually own the property.

Deathslayer7
2012-02-24, 11:13 PM
Best advice I can give is make sure you pay your rent and have a way of paying your bills on time.