PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder only grappling

BobVosh
2012-01-04, 05:17 PM
What are all the ways to increase grapple in pathfinder only, and most importantly get improved grab?

I really want to make a wrestler but I'm not sure it is viable in pathfinder at moment without being terrible. I don't care about classes, but I do want to stay away from monstrous races. It would be best if it is viable from level 5+, but doesn't have to have its grappling shtick until a little later.

I'm thinking summoner using the one where you basically use the eidilon as a suit of power armor would be best, but I haven't looked through most of the ultimate combat/magic despite having bought them.

Thanks for any help.

gourdcaptain
2012-01-04, 05:25 PM
Synthesist Summoners (the power armor ones) can grab Improved Grab as a two point evolution per natural attack to add it on. They can spend another two evolution points to gain constrict on it as well.

Also, I know the Tetori Monk archetype can spend Ki to gain the grab special at LV 8.

Infernalbargain
2012-01-04, 08:06 PM
Beyond those, your looking at polymorph effects.

Greenish
2012-01-04, 08:11 PM
Psychic Warrior. Expansion, Grip of Iron, the usual tricks.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-04, 11:38 PM
Psychic Warrior. Expansion, Grip of Iron, the usual tricks.
While that may be Pathfinder, it isn't Paizo Pathfinder. For some DM, like one or two I have gamed with, it does make a difference.
I second Tetori Monk, especially at higher levels, as they get ways around common anti-grapple defences, including freedom of movement, polymorph effects, and even dimension door.

BobVosh
2012-01-05, 09:41 AM
But I'll lose slow fall along with tongue of sun and moon. How can this be played?!
Seriously the biggest draw back is how much crap I'll have to put up with from my group considering how vocal I have been on hating monks.
Hmm, I'll have to look into this. I will be less MAD for using synthesis, as I only have to worry about mental stats as my eidilon covers for me on all physical. However I will have a better BAB as monk, for grappling purposes. Also I can make so many super saiyan as a synthesis.
Flip side is the monk will get feats much faster, and feats kinda make the build.
Grab is faster for Eidilon though.

I think I'll just make two and do a thorough comparison. Then end up taking summoner over the monk regardless of the way it ends up looking as I saw a cool thread about a toy maker using summoner to look like he was summoning toys and I have a very similar idea.

Oh, also my DM really has an unnatural hate for all things psionic. I blame 2ed poisoning to the idea.

Psyren
2012-01-05, 11:20 AM
Synthesist is undoubtedly more powerful, and remains very useful when there is no grappling to do. But being a full-on wrestler is just as cool, imo.