PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Early Modern Era Campaign

bvdk99
2012-01-04, 08:22 PM
Sorry, guys. Anyways, just see the other thread for my post, and then reply here, please.

Temotei
2012-01-04, 08:41 PM
Anja is sitting on a grassy hill, spying intently on people's daily activities.

Mmm...boring as usual, Mikkeli. We haven't had anyone attempt a crime in over a week...

bvdk99
2012-01-04, 09:10 PM
Anja is sitting on a grassy hill, spying intently on people's daily activities.

Mmm...boring as usual, Mikkeli. We haven't had anyone attempt a crime in over a week...

A horse-drawn coach comes into view, and rolls along the road until only about 20 feet away, after which a door opens.
A young, slight man, his height shortened even more by his stooped posture, clambers out, places a diminutive top hat on his head, and starts walking timidly up the hill. Once he reaches Anja, he says,
"Ms. Vi-Virtanen. How very l-long it took to find y-you," he mumbles, his voice whiny and with a varied pitch.

Eldest
2012-01-04, 09:34 PM
Raising an eye, as much at the 'Madame' as the fact that they had my table ready before I ordered, I follow, but keep a wary eye out for something off.
Fiona speaks French, so if the guy thinks she doesn't (why else would he be speaking English in France) he's in for a surprise.

Isenvrill
2012-01-04, 10:39 PM
Cyrus, quite curious, slips his armor on under his clothing, hides his daggers on his person, grabs his sword and slips out of the building. He walks briskly down the streets, arriving at the gardens with some time to spare.

Quick stylistic note, Cyrus' rapier scabbard is designed to look like a cane.
All daggers except plain masterwork hidden at 25 (I just took ten)

Temotei
2012-01-04, 10:42 PM
Anja, as she stands up, brushes her hand against her side to make sure Roar is ready to go. Satisfied, she jumps straight to the point.

Has it, now? What do you want?

waterpenguin43
2012-01-04, 11:05 PM
Lucia, 1 PM, Linz
Lucia is packing a case with the last of her few belongings. She folds up and packs one last pair of pants and snaps the case shut, picking it up with a stern expression. She makes her way briskly out of the home she had been staying in, hoping to get to the clerical coach on time. She searches for someone who might have seen a clock so she can know the time.

bvdk99
2012-01-04, 11:11 PM
Raising an eye, as much at the 'Madame' as the fact that they had my table ready before I ordered, I follow, but keep a wary eye out for something off.
Fiona speaks French, so if the guy thinks she doesn't (why else would he be speaking English in France) he's in for a surprise.

They arrive at a small table under a parasol.
The waiter draws out a chair, motioning for Fiona to sit, before bustling off. Across from the seat, a figure sits, obscured by a large newspaper.

Cyrus, quite curious, slips his armor on under his clothing, hides his daggers on his person, grabs his sword and slips out of the building. He walks briskly down the streets, arriving at the gardens with some time to spare.

Quick stylistic note, Cyrus' rapier scabbard is designed to look like a cane.
All daggers except plain masterwork hidden at 25 (I just took ten)

After a few minutes of waiting, a woman in a large, old-fashioned pannier dress comes strolling out of the Louvre, attracting much attention from onlookers.

Seemingly oblivious, she walks in your general direction, balking at the beautiful gardens behind you.
Just as she passes by your side, you see her drop what looks like a heavy coin on the ground, but she keeps walking towards the gardens.

Anja, as she stands up, brushes her hand against her side to make sure Roar is ready to go. Satisfied, she jumps straight to the point.

Has it, now? What do you want?

"Yes indeed, N-Neita," he says, stumbling over the unfamiliar word.
"The r-reason for which I c-contact y-you is that my em-employer has heard of your... your st-status as a v-vigilante of sorts.
"He or s-she w-wishes to speak with y-you about e-employment," he stammers wheezily. "Especially concerning a r-recent development in p-political affairs. You h-heard, I a-assume, about the d-death of the DDanish ambassador to France in Toulouse?"

((Note: Most, if not all, PC's would have heard about this, along with the murder of the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador to France in London a few months previously.))

EDIT:

@Waterpenguin:
A large woman in an even larger beige coat comes lumbering towards Lucia at a brisk pace.
"Come with me, or I'll shoot you," she says frankly as she passes. Her voice is low, slow, and guttural.

Isenvrill
2012-01-04, 11:18 PM
He bends over and grabs the coin.

waterpenguin43
2012-01-04, 11:19 PM
@Waterpenguin:
A large woman in an even larger beige coat comes lumbering towards Lucia at a brisk pace.
"Come with me, or I'll shoot you," she says frankly as she passes. Her voice is low, slow, and gutteral.

Her eyes widen.
"Oh, well, um, okay then," Lucia says, frightened but trying to act polite.

Temotei
2012-01-04, 11:20 PM
Yes. Go on. Anja stares intensely at the man, almost oblivious to his stammering.

bvdk99
2012-01-04, 11:40 PM
He bends over and grabs the coin.

It is gold, and rather heavy - on one side, a castle is depicted; on the other side is a black eagle with a distinctly red beak. Around the edge of both sides, written in tiny writing and repeating over and over are the words Altes Schloss.

Her eyes widen.
"Oh, well, um, okay then," Lucia says, frightened but trying to act polite.

The woman leads her into an alley. Finally, she turns around, taking off her cap and shaded glasses to reveal a stout and blockish face.
"Are you Ms. Lucia Santageo?" she says, not bothering to attempt a Spanish pronunciation and obviously mispronouncing the surname.

Yes. Go on. Anja stares intensely at the man, almost oblivious to his stammering.

"Well... My e-employer believes t-that and the p-previous m-murder of the A-Austro-Hungarian Ambassador may be co-correlated. He is s-seeking new h-help," he stutters, but the message is simple.

Isenvrill
2012-01-05, 12:00 AM
Muttering to himself, "Altes Schloss hmm? Where have I heard that before?"
He pockets the coin and walks up to the woman, matching her pace. Speaking in a normal tone, "Excuse me but I believe you dropped this." He proffers the coin, then whispering, "What is it you wished to speak to me about?"

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 12:03 AM
Muttering to himself, "Altes Schloss hmm? Where have I heard that before?"
He pockets the coin and walks up to the woman, matching her pace. Speaking in a normal tone, "Excuse me but I believe you dropped this." He proffers the coin, then whispering, "What is it you wished to speak to me about?"

She turns around. "Sorry? What - what are you talking about?" she asks, utterly confused.

waterpenguin43
2012-01-05, 12:05 AM
The woman leads her into an alley. Finally, she turns around, taking off her cap and shaded glasses to reveal a stout and blockish face.
"Are you Ms. Lucia Santageo?" she says, not bothering to attempt a Spanish pronunciation and obviously mispronouncing the surname.

"Oh, um, yes," she says with a smile, ignoring the blatent mispronounciation.

Isenvrill
2012-01-05, 12:16 AM
"I apologize, it must have been someone else. Good day ma'am." He tips his hat and walks away. He continues to wait in the gardens until 12:15, at which point he will leave to discover more concerning Altes Schloss.

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 12:19 AM
"Oh, um, yes," she says with a smile, ignoring the blatent mispronounciation.

((Actually, I'll start using coloured speech.))

The woman straightens the upright collar of her jacket and replaces her glasses.
"Good. Now, I don't know where you're planning on going, but wherever it is, you won't be able to anymore.
My employer has been recruiting talented individuals to help him in his investigations for quite some time, and your reputation certainly precedes you." She huffs. "He or she would like to recruit you to our cause. I'm sure you heard of the recent Ambassadorial deaths?"

EDIT:

@Isenvrill: People do appear - many people, in fact - but none approach him or are particularly memorable.

waterpenguin43
2012-01-05, 12:31 AM
The woman straightens the upright collar of her jacket and replaces her glasses.
"Good. Now, I don't know where you're planning on going, but wherever it is, you won't be able to anymore.
My employer has been recruiting talented individuals to help him in his investigations for quite some time, and your reputation certainly precedes you." She huffs. "He or she would like to recruit you to our cause. I'm sure you heard of the recent Ambassadorial deaths?"

"Ah yes, very tragic," she says with a frown.
"I hope the tensions between Austria and France do not grow too strong," she explains, obviously worried.

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 12:34 AM
"Ah yes, very tragic," she says with a frown.
"I hope the tensions between Austria and France do not grow too strong," she explains, obviously worried.

"Indeed," replies the woman. "Now that you've agreed to my employer's proposal, we need to board a train that departs at 2 o'clock." she says, pulling out a pocket watch and glancing at it.

Temotei
2012-01-05, 12:56 AM
When and where do I start, then? Anja's expression lightens visibly, excited for the chance for an adventure--especially one outside her home, she hopes.

Isenvrill
2012-01-05, 12:57 AM
Cyrus heads to the library, and requests one of the aides there to help identify the name.
Starting to wish I had my character learn German. Pity.

Eldest
2012-01-05, 08:10 AM
I chuckle for a molment, and then sit down in the proffered chair. I'm assuming you're going to put down the newspaper shortly, in a dramatic fashion, yes? Because I like to enjoy my breakfast with somebody I can see.

Re'ozul
2012-01-05, 08:24 AM
So-Tark - Loughborough - 11am

Planning to travel towards London through Leicester, Northampton, Bedford and Luton.
Current Goal: Get to the Continent

Having slept in a barn (as the inn wouldn't allow the giant man with the Lion cub) and just taken out rations from the neverwnding box of bland food he had found behind the fake wall in that cave 3 weeks ago, he packs everything back into the bag and motions for the cub to follow him as he walks towards the farms main haouse to thank the farmer for letting him stay the night.

Lyndworm
2012-01-05, 09:13 AM
[Jim Wilson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=357700) - Brazzaville, French Congo - 1200 Hours]

Jim is nursing a liquor of indeterminate origin in a dirty tavern, trying to remember why you're not supposed to drink at Noon.

waterpenguin43
2012-01-05, 09:31 PM
"Indeed," replies the woman. "Now that you've agreed to my employer's proposal, we need to board a train that departs at 2 o'clock." she says, pulling out a pocket watch and glancing at it.

Lucia nods and swallows, smiling. She's still hoping the woman isn't going to kill her.

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 09:38 PM
When and where do I start, then? Anja's expression lightens visibly, excited for the chance for an adventure--especially one outside her home, she hopes.

"I'd like you to c-come with me to London," he stutters. "There, we may receive further in-instructions from my e-employer."

Cyrus heads to the library, and requests one of the aides there to help identify the name.
Starting to wish I had my character learn German. Pity.

An old woman with a bob of frizzy grey hair approaches him. "Altes Schloss? Zat means 'Old Castle' in German," she says with a thick French accent. "Are you searching for a specific place?"

I chuckle for a molment, and then sit down in the proffered chair. I'm assuming you're going to put down the newspaper shortly, in a dramatic fashion, yes? Because I like to enjoy my breakfast with somebody I can see.

The paper remains in place, the person behind it seeming to not notice her.

"Please be a bit more quiet," a voice mutters from behind her. "You didn't think I'd be that old-school, did you?"

So-Tark - Loughborough - 11am

Planning to travel towards London through Leicester, Northampton, Bedford and Luton.
Current Goal: Get to the Continent

Having slept in a barn (as the inn wouldn't allow the giant man with the Lion cub) and just taken out rations from the neverwnding box of bland food he had found behind the fake wall in that cave 3 weeks ago, he packs everything back into the bag and motions for the cub to follow him as he walks towards the farms main haouse to thank the farmer for letting him stay the night.

Suddenly, a large horse-drawn coach starts hurtling across the farm's grounds, right at So-Tark. Once within a few feet, it comes to an abrupt halt, and a door swings open.
The ginger-haired head of an old man pops out.
"Join us for a ride, won't you?" he asks pleasantly.

[Jim Wilson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=357700) - Brazzaville, French Congo - 1200 Hours]

Jim is nursing a liquor of indeterminate origin in a dirty tavern, trying to remember why you're not supposed to drink at Noon.

The door to the bar opens, and a prim man in a nice suit, complete with fashionable cane and tophat, steps inside. He looks very ill-suited to the bar scene, and severable intimidating and moody bargoers send him menacing looks.

He waves awkwardly to them, but realizing the nature of their glares, quickly drops his head and walks towards Jim.

"Good afternoon. Might you happen to be Mr. James Wilson?"

Temotei
2012-01-05, 09:42 PM
Right. Anja looks down at the town once more before jogging to the man's coach and hopping on.

Eldest
2012-01-05, 09:45 PM
Oh, far better. I still would rather be able to see you, but if you insist...
Now. Why did you bring me here?
I gesture for a waiter while I'm sitting. Might as well have lunch here. The patron might even pay for it.

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 09:56 PM
Right. Anja looks down at the town once more before jogging to the man's coach and hopping on.

The man gets in as well, and the coach sets off.
"This journey may take a while," he sniffles.

Oh, far better. I still would rather be able to see you, but if you insist...
Now. Why did you bring me here?
I gesture for a waiter while I'm sitting. Might as well have lunch here. The patron might even pay for it.

"I would suggest the leek tarte," the voice from behind her says. It is that of a man, and sounds neutrally American.

The decoy from across from her coughs, and turns the page of his paper.

Isenvrill
2012-01-05, 09:59 PM
Noticing her accent, he switches to French. "Yes, I am." Cyrus pulls out the coin and shows it to her.

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 10:03 PM
Noticing her accent, he switches to French. "Yes, I am." Cyrus pulls out the coin and shows it to her.

"Ah, you're fluent. Nice to see these days," she comments, before snatching the coin and staring at it seriously.
"Pictured on one side is the crest of the German Empire - a black eagle, red-beaked. On the other... Oh, I should have known. Pictured here is the Old Castle in Stuttgart."

Isenvrill
2012-01-05, 10:08 PM
Takin the coin back from her, and giving her a gold piece instead, "Thank you for your help. Is there anything particularly important I should know about this castle?"

Temotei
2012-01-05, 10:10 PM
Hmm, well, it better pay off once we get there. Anja looks at the man menacingly, laughing inside but doing her best to hide it.

After seeing his reaction, she tries to get the boring part out of the way: sleep.

bvdk99
2012-01-05, 10:25 PM
Takin the coin back from her, and giving her a gold piece instead, "Thank you for your help. Is there anything particularly important I should know about this castle?"

"Nothing," the woman says snobbily. "Now, if you please, I simply must get back to work."

Hmm, well, it better pay off once we get there. Anja looks at the man menacingly, laughing inside but doing her best to hide it.

After seeing his reaction, she tries to get the boring part out of the way: sleep.

No one bothers her for the moment.

Isenvrill
2012-01-05, 10:43 PM
Cyrus frowns at her attitude, and whisks his way out of the library in an attitude even snobbier than the librarian's. once out side, he returns to acting normal, and heads to the train station.

Eldest
2012-01-05, 10:45 PM
I glare a bit at the delay, but let it die out quickly. Sounds good, but I prefer a few crepes. I sit and wait for the waiter or an explanation, whichever comes first.

Lyndworm
2012-01-05, 11:32 PM
The door to the bar opens, and a prim man in a nice suit, complete with fashionable cane and tophat, steps inside. He looks very ill-suited to the bar scene, and severable intimidating and moody bargoers send him menacing looks.

He waves awkwardly to them, but realizing the nature of their glares, quickly drops his head and walks towards Jim.

"Good afternoon. Might you happen to be Mr. James Wilson?"
Jim raises an eyebrow at the strange newcomer, but whirls around on his stool to face the man nonetheless. When he speaks, his voice is nothing special. However, his accent is strange, hinting at an eclectic mix of locales, exotic and mundane alike. "That'd depend largely on who's askin' the question, newcomer."

bvdk99
2012-01-06, 09:02 PM
Cyrus frowns at her attitude, and whisks his way out of the library in an attitude even snobbier than the librarian's. once out side, he returns to acting normal, and heads to the train station.

The clerk is a sprightly young woman who smiles at him as he approaches.
"Bonjour monsieur - combien de billets et a où?" she asks. (Good day sir - how many tickets and to where?)

I glare a bit at the delay, but let it die out quickly. Sounds good, but I prefer a few crepes. I sit and wait for the waiter or an explanation, whichever comes first.

A different waiter appears.
"Bonjour madamemoiselle. Puis-je vous demander si vous parlez le Français?" (Good day miss. May I ask if you speak French?)

Jim raises an eyebrow at the strange newcomer, but whirls around on his stool to face the man nonetheless. When he speaks, his voice is nothing special. However, his accent is strange, hinting at an eclectic mix of locales, exotic and mundane alike. "That'd depend largely on who's askin' the question, newcomer."

The man seems slightly surprised.
"Oh - uh, one moment..." he stammers, searching through a coat pocket for a moment.
He produces a card which he passes to Jim.

Professor Thierry R. Gabor
Zoologist and Veterinarian

"Thierry Gabor. It's a pleasure to meet you," he says, shifting his briefcase to his left hand and extending his right to shake.

Eldest
2012-01-06, 11:01 PM
Oui, je parle francais. Je parle anglais aussi, si vous voudrais parler anglais. Votre francais, c'est pas parfait. Est-que je peux avoir deux crepes au jambon? (Yes, I speak French. I speak English as well, if you wish to speak English. Your french, it's not perfect. May I have two crepes with ham?)
I (the player) speak French. Working on fluency, but not quite. The waiter made a small mistake, you don't say 'le' if you are asking of somebody speaks french. Hence the assumption that the waiter isn't fluent.

Isenvrill
2012-01-06, 11:22 PM
He smiles back. and says, "Un, à Stuttgart en Allemagne, s'il vous plaît. Combien ça coûte?"(One, to Stuttgart Germany If you please. How much will it cost?)
Question, why are there so many french speakers in England?

Lyndworm
2012-01-07, 05:19 AM
The man seems slightly surprised.
"Oh - uh, one moment..." he stammers, searching through a coat pocket for a moment.
He produces a card which he passes to Jim.

Professor Thierry R. Gabor
Zoologist and Veterinarian

"Thierry Gabor. It's a pleasure to meet you," he says, shifting his briefcase to his left hand and extending his right to shake.
Jim's face softens somewhat when he sees that the man is both a naturalist like himself, and one who has devoted his being to helping animals. "Fair enough." he says, taking the man's right hand in his own. "Yes, sir, I'm the man for whom you search. What can I do for you?"

waterpenguin43
2012-01-07, 04:13 PM
After the woman leaves, Lucia hurries as quickly as possible to where her clerical carriage was. After telling them of her unexpected need to depart, she heads instead to the train station, where she meets up with the woman once again(?)

Re'ozul
2012-01-07, 05:55 PM
Suddenly, a large horse-drawn coach starts hurtling across the farm's grounds, right at So-Tark. Once within a few feet, it comes to an abrupt halt, and a door swings open.
The ginger-haired head of an old man pops out.
"Join us for a ride, won't you?" he asks pleasantly.

"First I must thank the owner of this place for his kindness in letting me sleep here for this last night," So-Tark politely answers.
"Further I am unsure as to what brought you here, giving me this invitation, perhaps you could explain?"

His interactions with others not always having been the best, he tries to ascertain wether the gentleman is of a duplicious nature, though he knows it would be a grave break from etiquette to flat out pronounce this suspicion.

Sense Motive to know wether the Man means him immediate harm: [roll0]

bvdk99
2012-01-07, 06:07 PM
Oui, je parle francais. Je parle anglais aussi, si vous voudrais parler anglais. Votre francais, c'est pas parfait. Est-que je peux avoir deux crepes au jambon? (Yes, I speak French. I speak English as well, if you wish to speak English. Your french, it's not perfect. May I have two crepes with ham?)
I (the player) speak French. Working on fluency, but not quite. The waiter made a small mistake, you don't say 'le' if you are asking of somebody speaks french. Hence the assumption that the waiter isn't fluent.

((I do speak French. That was a mistake on my part. :smallredface:
Though, for the record, you made an error too (a rather ironic/oxymoronic one): it should be 'ce n'est pas parfait' 'n'est pas parfait' instead of 'c'est pas parfait'. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:))

"Non merci, Francais est bien. Votre ordre prendra quelque minutes," he says before bustling off.

He smiles back. and says, "Un, à Stuttgart en Allemagne, s'il vous plaît. Combien ça coûte?"(One, to Stuttgart Germany If you please. How much will it cost?)
Question, why are there so many french speakers in England?

((As stated previously, no need for a translation. Thanks anyways, though. :smallsmile:))

"Malheureusement, monsieur, nous n'avons pas de trains qui vont à Stuttgart, mais vous pouviez prendre le train à Frankfurt, qui est assez proche de votre destination?"

Jim's face softens somewhat when he sees that the man is both a naturalist like himself, and one who has devoted his being to helping animals. "Fair enough." he says, taking the man's right hand in his own. "Yes, sir, I'm the man for whom you search. What can I do for you?"

"Well... The things we must discuss are matters... Perhaps not for this location," he replies.

After the woman leaves, Lucia hurries as quickly as possible to where her clerical carriage was. After telling them of her unexpected need to depart, she heads instead to the train station, where she meets up with the woman once again(?)

((I wasn't planning on them splitting up, but oh well.))

The train station is bustling, and Lucia can't see any sign of the woman.

Suddenly, while passing, an old, stooped, and rather rotund man knocks her sharply on the shin with his cane and then heads on in the direction of one of the trains.

EDIT:

@Re'ozul:

The check fails, determining nothing. :smallfrown:

"Oh, of course! I should have guessed. By all means, go and thank whomever you must - but please try to return in a hasty fashion, if you could!" he says brightly, settling himself back in the coach.

Lyndworm
2012-01-07, 06:09 PM
"Well... The things we must discuss are matters... Perhaps not for this location," he replies.
Another raised eyebrow greets the man. "Very well. Where shall we conduct the rest of this meeting, then, Mr. Gabor?" Jim rises from his seat, ready to follow the man.

bvdk99
2012-01-07, 06:24 PM
Another raised eyebrow greets the man. "Very well. Where shall we conduct the rest of this meeting, then, Mr. Gabor?" Jim rises from his seat, ready to follow the man.

"Perhaps just outside. The message I just deliver is rather secretive, dare I say."

He stands up, briskly exiting the bar. Outside, the air is hot and light, and a slight breeze drifts over the settlement.

"I do apologize for my most uncouth manner while inside, but I do not usually frequent an establishment such as this...
Anyways, Mr. Wilson: I shall get straight to the point. I have an employer who does not govern my work as a zoologist nor as a veterinarian, though he or she does make use of both.
I have been sent to this most lovely place," he continues earnestly, "to offer your most esteemed self a place in the ranks of my employer's business. Namely -"

Suddenly, a loud bang rings through the air and a large indent appears in the wall next to Thierry.

waterpenguin43
2012-01-07, 06:31 PM
Suddenly, while passing, an old, stooped, and rather rotund man knocks her sharply on the shin with his cane and then heads on in the direction of one of the trains.

Becoming more desperate to find the train that the woman wanted her on, Lucia reluctantly decides to follow the man.

Eldest
2012-01-07, 07:59 PM
((I do speak French. That was a mistake on my part. :smallredface:
Though, for the record, you made an error too (a rather ironic/oxymoronic one): it should be 'ce n'est pas parfait' 'n'est pas parfait' instead of 'c'est pas parfait'. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:))

"Non merci, Francais est bien. Votre ordre prendra quelque minutes," he says before bustling off.

I sit back and wait for my order to come, or for the mysterious patron to finally make me an offer.
It's my understanding that you can, in casual conversation, skip the 'ne' of a negative. It's effectively slang, though, so you're right that it wasn't proper french.

Re'ozul
2012-01-07, 08:15 PM
"Oh, of course! I should have guessed. By all means, go and thank whomever you must - but please try to return in a hasty fashion, if you could!" he says brightly, settling himself back in the coach.

So-Tark nods at the kind Gentleman and walks to the main house of the farm.
Knocking on the door he proclaims, "I thank you for giving me a roof above my head this last night."

He knows that he might just be talking to the door, but wishes to hurry things slightly so as to not let the ginger haired Gentleman wait longer than strictly necessary. Not waiting for an answer he then gropes around in his small money pouch and fishes out a shilling which he lays on the stoop.

He then turns around and walks back to the Gentleman and his coach.

"Thank you for your patience. Perhaps it would be possible for you to inform me of your reason for apparently searching me out?"

bvdk99
2012-01-07, 10:43 PM
Becoming more desperate to find the train that the woman wanted her on, Lucia reluctantly decides to follow the man.

They approach an attendant, and the man produces two tickets.

"Stuttgart? Have fun," the attendant says in German.

The old man boards the train, beckoning vaguely for Lucia to follow.

I sit back and wait for my order to come, or for the mysterious patron to finally make me an offer.
It's my understanding that you can, in casual conversation, skip the 'ne' of a negative. It's effectively slang, though, so you're right that it wasn't proper french.

((Linguistic qualms aside...))

"I sure hope those crepes come fast. You have a train to catch," the man says casually.

So-Tark nods at the kind Gentleman and walks to the main house of the farm.
Knocking on the door he proclaims, "I thank you for giving me a roof above my head this last night."

He knows that he might just be talking to the door, but wishes to hurry things slightly so as to not let the ginger haired Gentleman wait longer than strictly necessary. Not waiting for an answer he then gropes around in his small money pouch and fishes out a shilling which he lays on the stoop.

He then turns around and walks back to the Gentleman and his coach.

"Thank you for your patience. Perhaps it would be possible for you to inform me of your reason for apparently searching me out?"

(We're going to use gp, not shillings, by the way. For simplicity's sake.)

The man's head pops out again.

"Oh, you didn't take long at all! Your swiftness is greatly appreciated.
Well, it's a rather long story. Perhaps you'd like to join me for a ride?"

Isenvrill
2012-01-08, 12:14 AM
((As stated previously, no need for a translation. Thanks anyways, though. :smallsmile:))

"Malheureusement, monsieur, nous n'avons pas de trains qui vont à Stuttgart, mais vous pouviez prendre le train à Frankfurt, qui est assez proche de votre destination?"

Nodding, "Cela fonctionnerait à merveille, merci. Je tiens également à réserver le passage d'un cheval." (You sure? I don't speak french, so I'm using Google translate. The grammar is most likely horrendous.)

Lyndworm
2012-01-08, 12:17 AM
"Perhaps just outside. The message I just deliver is rather secretive, dare I say."

He stands up, briskly exiting the bar. Outside, the air is hot and light, and a slight breeze drifts over the settlement.

"I do apologize for my most uncouth manner while inside, but I do not usually frequent an establishment such as this...
Anyways, Mr. Wilson: I shall get straight to the point. I have an employer who does not govern my work as a zoologist nor as a veterinarian, though he or she does make use of both.
I have been sent to this most lovely place," he continues earnestly, "to offer your most esteemed self a place in the ranks of my employer's business. Namely -"

Suddenly, a loud bang rings through the air and a large indent appears in the wall next to Thierry.
"Down!" shouts Jim, grabbing the man and trying to pull him back into the tavern. "If anyone's gonna kill you for takin' my time, it'll be me!"

waterpenguin43
2012-01-08, 12:36 AM
They approach an attendant, and the man produces two tickets.

"Stuttgart? Have fun," the attendant says in German.

The old man boards the train, beckoning vaguely for Lucia to follow.

Lucia smiles and turns to join the man. Once they get onto the train, Lucia mutters to him.
"What do you want me to do?"

Eldest
2012-01-08, 01:47 AM
"I sure hope those crepes come fast. You have a train to catch," the man says casually.

I turn and glare at him directly. Look, I've played along. But if you want me to work for you, which is what I'm assuming this is, then lay off the mysterious act, fast, or I might vanish. Now. Who are you, and what do you want?

Re'ozul
2012-01-08, 08:26 PM
The man's head pops out again.

"Oh, you didn't take long at all! Your swiftness is greatly appreciated.
Well, it's a rather long story. Perhaps you'd like to join me for a ride?"

Thinking over the mans offer, So-Tark cannot help but consider the ramifications that this man apparently found him with ease, judging from his demeanor.
This hints at greater power either in himself or by someone he represents.

So-Tark on the other hand is merely one and though strong he is far from his goal. So while refusal could bring ill omen on him, he has not much to lose for now.

"Very well. I shall take you up on your gracious offer," he announces, then proceeds to unstrap the 2 Axes, seemingly too large for even his frame, from his back.

Looking at them for a moment he adresses the gentleman as he enters the coach with them, carefull moving the lion pup from his shoulder to the seat.

"I am sorry for what will most likely be an inconvenience for you, but these two weapons are dear friends to me, and I would rather keep them with me at all times."

He then sits down as careful as his plate armor allows and looks expectantly at the Gentleman.

bvdk99
2012-01-09, 08:42 PM
Nodding, "Cela fonctionnerait à merveille, merci. Je tiens également à réserver le passage d'un cheval." (You sure? I don't speak french, so I'm using Google translate. The grammar is most likely horrendous.)

((It's not too bad. :smalltongue: Also, does he mean that he wants to also ride on a horse, or have his horse come with him? :smallconfused::smalltongue:))

"Down!" shouts Jim, grabbing the man and trying to pull him back into the tavern. "If anyone's gonna kill you for takin' my time, it'll be me!"

Thierry is pushed inside as another shot rings out, just grazing Jim's shoulder and smashing into the wall, but not doing any real damage.

Lucia smiles and turns to join the man. Once they get onto the train, Lucia mutters to him.
"What do you want me to do?"

He enters a nearby compartment, letting her in as well, and then shuts the door firmly.
Then, he unbends, coming up to a surprisingly tall full stature. He removes his beard, spectacles, hat, and coat, and is revealed to be the same woman as before.
"I'm pleased with how fast you got here. Now, while on this train, we have two goals to accomplish: make it to our location, and something else that I just found out after our first meeting. It turns out that a possible suspect in the killings is on this very train, to attend an upcoming concert.
I have a job for you. Capture this man, and do so as nonchalantly and subtly as possible. Bring him to compartment 13 at 1:47 sharp."

I turn and glare at him directly. Look, I've played along. But if you want me to work for you, which is what I'm assuming this is, then lay off the mysterious act, fast, or I might vanish. Now. Who are you, and what do you want?

A handsome man sips his cup of coffee and stares back at you.
"You can find out if you catch the train to Frankfurt in twenty-five minutes."

Thinking over the mans offer, So-Tark cannot help but consider the ramifications that this man apparently found him with ease, judging from his demeanor.
This hints at greater power either in himself or by someone he represents.

So-Tark on the other hand is merely one and though strong he is far from his goal. So while refusal could bring ill omen on him, he has not much to lose for now.

"Very well. I shall take you up on your gracious offer," he announces, then proceeds to unstrap the 2 Axes, seemingly too large for even his frame, from his back.

Looking at them for a moment he adresses the gentleman as he enters the coach with them, carefull moving the lion pup from his shoulder to the seat.

"I am sorry for what will most likely be an inconvenience for you, but these two weapons are dear friends to me, and I would rather keep them with me at all times."

He then sits down as careful as his plate armor allows and looks expectantly at the Gentleman.

"Oh, it's no trouble. Anyways, the purpose of my being here," he starts, as the coach starts to roll along the ground, "is because my employer and I have heard of your... unusual talents and would like to put them to good use, if you would so comply."

Isenvrill
2012-01-09, 09:30 PM
((It's not too bad. :smalltongue: Also, does he mean that he wants to also ride on a horse, or have his horse come with him? :smallconfused::smalltongue:))

(Case in point. He wants his horse to come with him. I might just start typing it in English and noting that he's actually saying it in French.)

Eldest
2012-01-09, 10:13 PM
I glare at him again, then thrust out a hand. Money for the train. Or this is a no go.
Really. He hasn't told her anything, and wants her to cooperate. She's friendly but not that nice.

Re'ozul
2012-01-10, 04:31 AM
"Oh, it's no trouble. Anyways, the purpose of my being here," he starts, as the coach starts to roll along the ground, "is because my employer and I have heard of your... unusual talents and would like to put them to good use, if you would so comply."

It had been a while since he had an actual job, though his experience with his old one had not ended well at all. On the other hand, he had still some way to go and his wealth was slowly diminishing. It was possible that, when he arrived at the channel, he would not have enough money anymore to cross it.
At that point he might not be capable of finding work if the continued fear and mistrust he was shown by most folk was any indication.
This was an opportunity, one that he should at least consider.

"Very well, the fact that you found me specifically shows that you as well as your employer most likely sought very carfefully for help with this endeavour. While I reserve to right to ultimately decline the offer once heard, I will give my tentative affirmation to your request for now considering how much has apparently gone into it."

Lyndworm
2012-01-10, 11:28 PM
Thierry is pushed inside as another shot rings out, just grazing Jim's shoulder and smashing into the wall, but not doing any real damage.
Jim takes a moment to feel his shoulder, finding out how badly wounded he might be. Relived to add only a small gouge to his list of scars, he turns on the other man. "Lemme tell you somethin', Mr. Gabor," he says politely. "There's more'n a few people might want me dead, but I've a feelin' those bullets wouldna been there were it not for you." More harshly, Jim asks a question of his new acquaintance. "You wanna tell me why that is?"

bvdk99
2012-01-12, 10:41 PM
(Case in point. He wants his horse to come with him. I might just start typing it in English and noting that he's actually saying it in French.)

((A far easier option.))

"One moment, if you please," she says (in French). She reappears a moment later with a ticket in hand. "That will be 150 gp, please."

I glare at him again, then thrust out a hand. Money for the train. Or this is a no go.
Really. He hasn't told her anything, and wants her to cooperate. She's friendly but not that nice.

((She's being completely reasonable. There's a reason for him being this mysterious.))

"Tut, tut. So testy, aren't we?" he says, smirking. "We expected as much. Here, take this newspaper. It's rather boring, anyways," he says, reaching behind him and passing her a thick, folded newspaper. "Have fun on your train. Better get there quickly."

It had been a while since he had an actual job, though his experience with his old one had not ended well at all. On the other hand, he had still some way to go and his wealth was slowly diminishing. It was possible that, when he arrived at the channel, he would not have enough money anymore to cross it.
At that point he might not be capable of finding work if the continued fear and mistrust he was shown by most folk was any indication.
This was an opportunity, one that he should at least consider.

"Very well, the fact that you found me specifically shows that you as well as your employer most likely sought very carfefully for help with this endeavour. While I reserve to right to ultimately decline the offer once heard, I will give my tentative affirmation to your request for now considering how much has apparently gone into it."

"The eloquency with which you speak impresses me, my young chap!" the main says merrily, tapping him on the arm.
"In all seriousness, though - my employer has a... mission, of sorts, that he would like you and others to accomplish. It might involve danger, but will certainly involve risk of some type, as well as a wide variety of skills. He wishes you to investigate the murders of two ambassadors and the possible correlation between them, you see."

Jim takes a moment to feel his shoulder, finding out how badly wounded he might be. Relived to add only a small gouge to his list of scars, he turns on the other man. "Lemme tell you somethin', Mr. Gabor," he says politely. "There's more'n a few people might want me dead, but I've a feelin' those bullets wouldna been there were it not for you." More harshly, Jim asks a question of his new acquaintance. "You wanna tell me why that is?"

"Oh dear, oh dear... Bucharest - I should have known. How foolish of me: they've been trailing me for days. I do apologize -they must be hired by someone... I don't know who."

Eldest
2012-01-12, 10:45 PM
I glare at the man once more, grab a crepe if they're nearby and gesture that the man is paying for my food, and stalk off to the train. I buy a ticket and get on, then start reading the newspaper and munching on my crepe, sliping the money that was in the paper into a pocket.
If any of this is wrong, tell me.

Lyndworm
2012-01-13, 12:12 AM
"Oh dear, oh dear... Bucharest - I should have known. How foolish of me: they've been trailing me for days. I do apologize -they must be hired by someone... I don't know who."
Jim sighs heavily before speaking. "Alright, well let's work on figurin' that out after we lose your tail." Turning to the barkeep, he asks "There a back way out of this place?"

For the sake of speed, let's assume that James (and Mr. Gabor) run out of the back of the bar, assuming that's possible.

Re'ozul
2012-01-13, 06:42 PM
"The eloquency with which you speak impresses me, my young chap!" the main says merrily, tapping him on the arm.
"In all seriousness, though - my employer has a... mission, of sorts, that he would like you and others to accomplish. It might involve danger, but will certainly involve risk of some type, as well as a wide variety of skills. He wishes you to investigate the murders of two ambassadors and the possible correlation between them, you see."

"I see, such an endeavour is of course not something to be handled lightly. I have little knowledge of politics, so further information about the ambassadors would not do much for my understanding of the situation.
Since my expertise lies more on the brutal side of things, I am guessing that I am to be part of the more physical aspect of whatever group is to be assembled?"

This kind of talk is exhausting to him as he was only taught in it as an added bonus to his role in the circus, to juxtapose the big brutish barbarian with refined manners. So far it has helped him several times on his travel, but it is still not something he wishes to hold up for any long stretch of time.

Isenvrill
2012-01-13, 06:59 PM
Cyrus grimaces at the cost. Still speaking in french, "That seems a bit much for a simple train trip. I suppose it is a rather long ways away, but still. . ." He sighs and deposits the correct amount, taking the ticket in return.

He then retrieves his horse, and catches the train.

Trying to accelerate my mini-plotline to something a bit more interesting. Normally at this point I would have tried to pass the emblazoned coin off for something absurdly valuable or something of the like.

waterpenguin43
2012-01-13, 09:36 PM
He enters a nearby compartment, letting her in as well, and then shuts the door firmly.
Then, he unbends, coming up to a surprisingly tall full stature. He removes his beard, spectacles, hat, and coat, and is revealed to be the same woman as before.
"I'm pleased with how fast you got here. Now, while on this train, we have two goals to accomplish: make it to our location, and something else that I just found out after our first meeting. It turns out that a possible suspect in the killings is on this very train, to attend an upcoming concert.
I have a job for you. Capture this man, and do so as nonchalantly and subtly as possible. Bring him to compartment 13 at 1:47 sharp."

"I'll get straight to it," she says with a smile, though in reality she has no idea how to find him.
"What might the concert be?"

Eldest
2012-01-15, 02:34 PM
Just realized I completely ignored my familiar, can we just assume he's on in my train compartment?