PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a new player

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-04, 09:34 PM
Hi!...So, I can't remember a time when I didn't want to play D&D game. Me and my older cousin would use extremely simplified rules, five or six cardboard...boards of a generic dungeon, and a handful or two of minis to play, but that got me nowhere. That was when I was in the sixth grade, and that was the last time I had any hope of playing a real game. Oh, I've tried, but deep down, I knew it would never happen...

Until the other day. I've been playing a lot of post by post games on the Escapist, and one of my players was putting together a Dungeons and Dragons game over Skype. I had just got Skype to talk to my friends on the internet(which make up 98% of my friends), so I asked if I could join. And he said yes. Now my life...is at it's peak.

So, after much, much, much hard work, I had a character sheet for a LN 1/4 Goblin/3/4 Human Cleric of Marduk. Then I thought, you know, I really would rather play a Sorcerer. And then, today, I said "**** it, I want a DRUID!"

I still haven't chosen an animal companion yet though. It's down between a Camel, or a Dire Rat. And my game is Friday, so I should be quick about it.

Anyway, all this has lead me to this forum. I have loved Order of the Stick for just as long as I have Dungeons and Dragons(I think-was OotS running when I was in the sixth grade? *shrugs*). What suggestions does the greatest roleplaying game community have for a complete newbie?

Axon_Viking
2012-01-04, 11:18 PM
I may not be a veteran player yet but I have seen (and done) many stupid things that make people laugh/cry. First off, if this is the first time playing a spell caster pick your spells very carefully, make sure you know what all of them do before you cast them.

Also, druids can be really nice as PC's, given you can be a bear with all the perks of being a bear, and still casting spells. Be warned, when you get around to having 4+ animals following you around and actively participating in combat, everyone gets angry when you have to dig and spend 5 minutes per animal just to attack. have all of their stats in a nice organized sheet, or even an excel doc, this makes everyone life much easier.

Also if you do get many animal companions remember only so many things can surround one enemy and still attack. Too many and the rest of the party can't do crap because they will hit or kill your animals too. I have experience this one, and nobody likes it, took 45 minutes just for one guy to take his and his animals turn.

All and all, in most games if you can think it you can do it. And most importantly it takes a whole round for the creature to swallow someone whole, that is a whole round of running you can do.

Egiam
2012-01-04, 11:22 PM
-Avoid fighting other P.C.s in-character. A difference of opinion or perspective can lead to juicy dialogue, but if it gets to the point that they are trying to drown each other (it happened in a game of mine), it ceases to be "interesting" and just bogs down the plot and bores the other players.

-Take an active role in the plot. Beginning players tend to just react to whatever the DM tells them is happening. Think ahead about what your character is going to do, and put thought into it. It's not like a video game where you just go wherever you haven't been yet and break all the intact pots. Think about what resources you have available, and use them.

-You don't have to be a complete psycho to be "interesting". Too many new players want to play (real life examples here) bi-polar characters, amnesiacs, totemist/sorcerer/ranger/warblade multiclassers, and insanely horny lesbians. The most memorable characters are the ones we can relate to, and even believe in.

-Put on a performance. For me, whenever I make a long term character, I think about it less like a video game RPG character, and more like a role I am auditioning for at my community theatre. I am an avid actor, and have been paid for my work (not much, but hey). Some people like to play because they want to kill things, and solve puzzles. You can do these in a video game. If you act your characters vividly and with energy, amazing roleplaying situations can happen.

-Figure out what you are going to do in combat, check all rules and whatnot, before your turn actually comes. It makes combat roll smoother and more fun.

-Keep your own Player's Handbook, dice set, character sheet, notes sheet (blank paper for notes), and pencil with eraser on your person in front of you at all times.

-Type up a paper with summaries and the page numbers of all your spells. It makes knowing what you have up your sleeve and referencing them easier.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-04, 11:50 PM
Also if you do get many animal companions remember only so many things can surround one enemy and still attack. Too many and the rest of the party can't do crap because they will hit or kill your animals too. I have experience this one, and nobody likes it, took 45 minutes just for one guy to take his and his animals turn.

You can have more then one!?

Axon_Viking
2012-01-05, 12:04 AM
If the DM allows it you may, one of their prestige classes also gives you more, but I can't remember which one. Also rolling handle animal is a good way to get more just remember to train it, and with the proper rolls you can have almost any monster follow you around and obey your commands (if the DM allows it). Being able to talk to animals makes some rolls into diplomacy checks rather than handle animal, so keep that in mind.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-05, 12:08 AM
Also if you do get many animal companions remember only so many things can surround one enemy and still attack.

Since when do you get more than one animal companion at a time by RAW? Is it a 4ed thing?
But yhea I do agree that if you get summon natures ally spells as a druid, while they're very useful it adds up to at least 3 creatures you need to control during battle, your character, your characters companion and your summon, keeping sheets/stats close at hand for all you end up using a lot is a very good idea, and as a druid keeping an extra sheet or two for your druid when wild shaped also speeds things up a bit. (Since you end up having to recalculate everything.)

Now I won't really suggest classes since I don't know the edition you'll be playing or what you're generally into, but if it's 3.X be careful with any type of caster, spontaneous (sorcerers for example) has a very limited amount of spell and pick a bad one and you're stuck with it for a while. The ones who need to prepare spells (wizards among others) while one bad spell don't hurt them to much in the long run, well pick a bad set of spells for the day and you can still die quite horribly so read over spells and if you're unsure about anything talk to your DM.

For more general advice I don't have much to add to what Egiam has already said other than "if you can imagine it it is possible" and every action in combat doesn't always have to be the best or most rational choice as long as it is what your character would do. (But at the same time don't be overly suicidal...) But a lot of people seem to forget that one round = 6 seconds, that's not a lot of time to think in the middle of combat. :)

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-05, 12:22 AM
Now I won't really suggest classes since I don't know the edition you'll be playing or what you're generally into, but if it's 3.X be careful with any type of caster, spontaneous (sorcerers for example) has a very limited amount of spell and pick a bad one and you're stuck with it for a while. The ones who need to prepare spells (wizards among others) while one bad spell don't hurt them to much in the long run, well pick a bad set of spells for the day and you can still die quite horribly so read over spells and if you're unsure about anything talk to your DM.

3.5! I would never play 4e, you have to be an imbecile to die there.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-05, 12:46 AM
If the DM allows it you may, one of their prestige classes also gives you more, but I can't remember which one. Also rolling handle animal is a good way to get more just remember to train it, and with the proper rolls you can have almost any monster follow you around and obey your commands (if the DM allows it). Being able to talk to animals makes some rolls into diplomacy checks rather than handle animal, so keep that in mind.

Those are NOT animal companions by the rules however. They're trained animals and don't follow the rules of animal companions. Some might be rules to follow the rules of cohorts (which you generally need the leadership feat for) however due to their intelligence, but don't get them confused with animal companions.
Also while what you're saying is theoretically possible any sensible DM would restrict it since it's far to open for abuse.

3.5! I would never play 4e, you have to be an imbecile to die there.
Just checking, both editions have their (highly devoted) followers and giving advice that's good for 3.5 could turn out bad if you would be going for 4ed. :)
Oh and 3.5 has it's issues, among others it's a colossal, lumbering monstrosity of convoluted and contradictory rules... but dammit it's MY colossal, lumbering monstrosity and I'm NOT giving it up just because someone says there's some other slightly less convoluted monstrosity out there! :p

Axon_Viking
2012-01-05, 01:11 AM
Ah, yes you are correct. I should have worded that differently, as only animal companions can increase their stats with yours. The prestige class however does let you take more companions. Still can't seem to find that class, it is a beast tamer I think, but I don't have my books on hand.

And I have to agree, any DM that lets unlimited companions is asking for an unending headache. When I GM I use the one humanoid follower and one non-human (as animals or undead, this includes druid animals).

SowZ
2012-01-05, 01:52 AM
This early, don't get caught up in the numbers. Don't spend too much time trawling the boards for the 'perfect build.' Let your leveling up happen naturally. Get into character. Feel the adventure of it. It is tough to screw up a Druid so don't worry. This isn't to say don't learn and understand the rules. Just don't worry about optimization. Have fun with your character.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-05, 06:41 AM
Also while what you're saying is theoretically possible any sensible DM would restrict it since it's far to open for abuse.

He says he is letting me have a dragon...Well, okay, a dragon egg, but still.

GolemsVoice
2012-01-05, 06:49 AM
This early, don't get caught up in the numbers. Don't spend too much time trawling the boards for the 'perfect build.' Let your leveling up happen naturally. Get into character. Feel the adventure of it. It is tough to screw up a Druid so don't worry. This isn't to say don't learn and understand the rules. Just don't worry about optimization. Have fun with your character.

That's definitely true, but you could do some digging through the books, just look at names and illustrations of prestige classes, and see what you like, so that you can plan accordingly. While Druid 20 is certainly no bad choice, and fun to play, being stuck with a class because you didn't know/didn't plan for a certain prestige class that you think is really cool sucks.

So, my advice, look through the books if you're able, skim them, look at what you think is cool and fitting, and look at the prerequisites.

NOhara24
2012-01-05, 09:27 AM
He says he is letting me have a dragon...Well, okay, a dragon egg, but still.

Sad thing about dragon eggs. If your DM goes by Rules as Written, it's more than likely it will die during hatching.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-05, 10:13 AM
Sad thing about dragon eggs. If your DM goes by Rules as Written, it's more than likely it will die during hatching.

I doubt it. He is the one suggesting it. He gave me the choice of a Silver or White Dragon and I bargained for a Emerald.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-05, 02:47 PM
I doubt it. He is the one suggesting it. He gave me the choice of a Silver or White Dragon and I bargained for a Emerald.

Guessing you're skipping the whole "color = alignment" issue with dragons then? (which, honestly isn't a bad thing to skip.) And while that's very generous, as has been pointed out, hatchlings are quite weak and prone to dying (just because your DM allows it or even suggested it doesn't mean it's automatically immune to damage.(, but hey as long as everyone is having fun everything is fine. :)

Axon_Viking
2012-01-05, 02:59 PM
I like how you picked the Emerald Dragon, psions are hard to play first time around but a dragon should be a great way to learn how. Most of the gem dragons are over looked and I am glad someone is giving them the attention they deserve. Unfortunately dragons age slow because of their long life spans, so you could very well have a baby dragon for several years in game. Monster Manual II (http://danddweekly.com/guides/Monster%20Manual/Monster%20Manual%20II.pdf) has them, on page 83. Even a baby dragon is a creature to be wary of at low levels. There breath attacks will strike fear into the hearts of mortals across the land.

I have to warn you, the DM never just gives players things because he can, there is always a reason he will give it to. I think something to do with dragons is in your future or you will need a dragon to survive what he throws at you. Whichever way sounds like a fun campaign.

The Random NPC
2012-01-05, 03:42 PM
Since when do you get more than one animal companion at a time by RAW? Is it a 4ed thing?

The PrC Beastmaster from Complete Adventurer, and the PrC Beast Heart Adept from Dungeonscape both let you get more animal companions. The Beast Heart Adept lets you get monsters as companions as well.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-05, 04:42 PM
Guessing you're skipping the whole "color = alignment" issue with dragons then? (which, honestly isn't a bad thing to skip.)
Well, both my character and the Emerald Dragon are LN...or were, anyway. Today I changed over to Neutral Good(because I feel that is closest to my alignment in real life) Elf(because the only other non human was a Dwarf)
My DM is VERY patient an understanding, and the whole party is going through a lot to get their characters fixed. I only asked to switch my race to Elf on the condition it not be a bother. But yeah, except for demons and angels and stuff like that, "Always X" is kind of silly. Besides that, I am raising the dragon, so nurture over nature, I would hope.

And while that's very generous, as has been pointed out, hatchlings are quite weak and prone to dying (just because your DM allows it or even suggested it doesn't mean it's automatically immune to damage.(, but hey as long as everyone is having fun everything is fine. :)
I'm not gonna bring it out in combat situations for awhile. I see my dragon(who I still haven't named) as more of a roleplaying element then as a combat tool.

I like how you picked the Emerald Dragon, psions are hard to play first time around but a dragon should be a great way to learn how. Most of the gem dragons are over looked and I am glad someone is giving them the attention they deserve.
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/e/ef/Emerald_dragon.jpg
You said it! I was going over the dragons looking for alternatives to the ones he offered(he having already vetoed a Brass dragon, despite Silver dragons being stronger then them...I think) and Wikipedia mentioned Gem dragons as the neutrals to the good metallics and evil chromatics. Oh my gods, they are so cool. I love the color and look of the Emerald Dragon, they are so awesome.

Unfortunately dragons age slow because of their long life spans, so you could very well have a baby dragon for several years in game.
*See above about me switching to Elf* I might outlive my fellow party members, but that's their problem.To an Elf, what's a few years? :smallsmile:

Terraoblivion
2012-01-05, 05:06 PM
The basic pieces of advice I can give are these:

- Learn what your group is doing and seek to get out of the game. If they're into plot, world building and characterization, focus your effort on that. If they're into serious tactical combat focus on that. If it's just a way to get together and have fun, don't take things too seriously and roll with the jokes and general atmosphere.

- Remember that not everyone does the same thing so if your group prefers to get something out of the game that you don't, there is no shame in that. However, do give thought on whether you enjoy it enough to stay or try to find another group, no one benefits from you trying to force yourself to play in a way you genuinely don't enjoy.

- Also remember, other systems exist so don't give up on gaming if D&D should for some reason not be to your taste. You can ask here or on various sites around the net for recommendations of system if you want something different and people should be able to give at least some recommendations.

I really think these are the three most important things to keep in mind when getting into gaming. The specific etiquette and the level of storytelling skill and optimization depends heavily on the group and mostly comes with practical training anyway.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-06, 08:38 PM
Well, my first session was today...and it was awesome. My character was appointed leader of the group, we fought a few Goblins, and my official job outside of the actual game is novelizing our sessions. I'm working on the first bit now =) Gods, I love Dungeons and Dragons! I can't wait until next Saturday...

Egiam
2012-01-06, 09:06 PM
Woah... what kind of work you got there?

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-06, 09:11 PM
What do you mean, Egiam?

Egiam
2012-01-07, 12:57 AM
...[M]y official job outside of the actual game is novelizing our sessions. I'm working on the first bit now

I am very curious as to what your official job is. It sounds like you are an author/writer of some sort, but I was avoiding making any assumptions.

UNLESS I misunderstood, and you meant "official job" as a task you have been assigned by the gaming group.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/8/19/27df1af0-4665-4637-a5bf-02c9672bb000.jpg

Endarire
2012-01-07, 01:55 AM
Handbooks (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=22.0) are your friends (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=28.0)!

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-07, 09:13 AM
I am very curious as to what your official job is. It sounds like you are an author/writer of some sort, but I was avoiding making any assumptions.

UNLESS I misunderstood, and you meant "official job" as a task you have been assigned by the gaming group.

Nah, I'm not really an author. I just write the games down in prose and post it on our group on The Escapist for their amusement. It helps to encourage roleplaying, makes the story easier to remember, and so on. Plus, it's fun.