PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Revised: Troublesome PC's

Axon_Viking
2012-01-04, 10:42 PM
So I am a fairly new GM and am running a Star Wars game. One of my PC's is a hardcore tabletop gamer, and rather troublesome as the rest of the players can't keep up with his power progression. It also does not help that I accidentally gave them gold as loot in an ancient sith tomb, about 200 million worth... He plays a Codru-ji, which is just a regular human with 4 arms. So he gets 1 attack per hand base, but then gets his extra attacks because of his soldier class and has the auto fire perk. This lets him deal 300 damage each round of combat. He also modified a stun pistol for a DC 30 fort save or be stunned 1d6+1 rounds. The other players are just normal guys a scoundrel and a jedi. The worst part is he does not do all this stuff just to become more powerful, he just sees it and thinks 'I like that' and does it. Sorry for the long explanation, but I have no clue what to do as anything that can kill this character will kill the whole party.

tl;dr Over powered player with four arms and the whole party has way to much money, what do?

LibraryOgre
2012-01-04, 10:58 PM
What's the actual text of the ability? Because it sounds like "one extra attack per hand base" is really stretching it, to the point of being a player misinterpretation.

Oh, and:

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2002-04-12

RandomLunatic
2012-01-05, 12:58 AM
For the cash, the best way is to swallow your pride and admit to your players you screwed up, that having that much money spoils the game, and it needs to go. Without this step, your players, assuming they are anything like typical PCs, will almost certainly feel you are out to get/punish them in some way and fight you tooth and nail over the matter, possibly spilling OOC.

Fortunately, fool and his money are soon parted, and your players have enough money to buy their own planet. There is no shortage of scum and villany in the GFFA that would kill for a tenth of a percent of that. Then, depending on the era, you have an oppressive and/or corrupt galaxy-spanning government with unscrupulous officials that have no shortage of ways of cheating, coercing, blackmailing, or simply strong-arming the PCs out of money. On top of regular taxes, of course.

Now, for you Codru-Ji, a character sheet audit and a re-reading of the rules seems in order, as there appears to be several levels of shenanigans at work here.

For starters, while the Core Book is bad at spelling it out, the bonus attacks from wielding multiple Multi/Auto-fire capable weapons do not stack. The use of "1/2 extra attacks per round" means "per round, period," not "per weapon per round". If you have access to it, the "How Many Shots Can I Take" sidebar on page 134 of the the Hero's Guide spells this out explicitly.

And even if they did stack, so would the penalties, to the point that by the time your John Woo wannabe would be generating the firepower of a Stormtrooper battalion, he would have their same level of non-accuracy.

Now if you can reference the "Setting Weapons on Stun" sidebar on page 113 of the Core Book, you will note that Stun mode and autofire cannot be combined-single shots only in stun mode. And that your max range is 4 meters/2 squares.

And then, I would ask him how he is actually modding the pistol like that. I do not have the complete collection, but from the parts I have, I cannot get a Fort DC higher than 26. And I know no way to alter the duration like he did.

Axon_Viking
2012-01-05, 02:15 AM
Thanks, that clears some stuff for me. I really liked your ideas on the ways to get rid of the money, I know one of them has 5 credit chips containing the money stashed on the ship, the other 2 put it in the bank, so all of your ideas are valid and can be easily implemented.

The Codru-ji problem will be much more manageable now, I'm sure he will still find ways at making me pull my hair out (as do all the players now that I think about it...) but now I don't have to add 500 wp to all the creatures they fight.

Mando Knight
2012-01-05, 01:16 PM
200 mil in gold... how does one carry that? Encumbrance time! :smallamused:

LemuneSD
2012-01-08, 06:22 PM
In all gaming groups, there is usually at least one person who tries munchkinizing his characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_%28role-playing_games%29

Basically, the only way to fight this is to have alot of knowledge in the particular game. Like Random Lunatic said, the Codru-Ji can wield weapons in each hand, but are still bound by the rules of the game. IE they need feats to be able to utilize these attacks, and even then most have severe penalties. I'll try to look up the details later (Saga edition, right? I think that is the only edition with set Codru-Ji as a species). But, what level is he? And are all the levels in Soldier?

Mando Knight
2012-01-08, 06:37 PM
(Saga edition, right? I think that is the only edition with set Codru-Ji as a species)

It says Revised right up there in the title.

Waspinator
2012-01-08, 09:22 PM
I vote tricking them with some kind of scam. Get a shady Lando-type to get them to invest in something stupid and then try to make off with the money. Depending on what he does with the money, you can prevent them from recovering all of it even if they beat him.

LemuneSD
2012-01-09, 09:30 AM
It says Revised right up there in the title.

Thank you for taking the time to write that incredibly constructive comment. Yep, I made a mistake :smallbiggrin:

Also, I found them in the Ultimate Alien Anthology (Revised edition). They have one main hand, and 3 off-hand for the purposes of deciding actions, and are still limited to one without the proper feats, though they DO get Multi-dexterity feat free.

Alejandro
2012-01-09, 10:04 AM
Ask the player why the Codru-Ji have not conquered the entire galaxy by this point, and see what he says.

P.S. I had this issue come up when a player wanted to be a Codru-Ji in Saga edition (much better than revised IMO) and the rules are quite clear there on multiple attacks vs. multiple hands.

Friv
2012-01-09, 10:05 AM
Well, everyone seems to have resolved the crazy-arms problem, so I'm going to chime in on the money issue. You can certainly discuss it with the PCs out of character, or you can roll with it.

Create problems that the players would usually have to run away from, which they can now throw money at to solve. Let them hire a pirate fleet to deal with some enemies, while they go and do whatever their goals are. Let them buy a small colony somewhere, so that they have a secure base to operate out of. Hell, let them start a shipping company; they could spend the money on a ship and crew, and then go ahead and earn a share of everything it ships. (And then they have to deal with pirates, and so on...)

I have other ideas, but they're pretty dependent on era and players. What sort of a group are you running for? Rebels in the Empire era, Jedi in the Old Republic, smugglers chilling out?

Axon_Viking
2012-01-13, 10:46 AM
Thank you everyone for your ideas, this should make the whole game a lot more fun for everyone.

Alejandro, I agree that saga is more refined and works better in a lot of situations, but me and all the players all really don't like the track system for HP.

Also Friv, this is what the players have been doing for now, but I decided to have some kind of catastrophic event that makes their money useless. They are too smart about it, and not ever getting their own hands dirty. It normally results in lots of npc deaths.

Diskhotep
2012-01-13, 07:17 PM
If you have a good group, make them decide what happened to the money. Tell them how much they have left in the way of cash/equipment from the score, and give them the opportunity to create a back story as if it has been a month since this windfall vanished. Then you've got a new common story for the characters that you can spin into new plot hooks. Just reserve the right to veto stories that are ridiculous or leave a backdoor to them getting the fortune back.