PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here worked as a tax preparer?

Bhu
2012-01-05, 02:17 AM
I'm considering taking a part time job as a tax preparer, and I'm told unless I goof up the EIC I'm not liable for any problems. I'm assuming this is bull. So I thought I'd ask if other hae done it to see what I might be getting into.

Renegade Paladin
2012-01-05, 05:25 PM
I prepare my own taxes, and have to say it's dead easy, at least for a single adult with no dependents. But I've never worked as one, and wouldn't know about any liability.

I do know that questions of liability are something to ask a lawyer, not an Internet forum. So there's that.

Bhu
2012-01-05, 10:05 PM
forums are substantially less spensive and kitteh is bwoke :smallwink:

Jimorian
2012-01-06, 01:40 AM
But when answering your question could result in an infraction, you're likely to remain in the dark here. :smallwink: (I don't know the answer, either.)

Zen Monkey
2012-01-06, 09:49 AM
From what I understand, it's a fairly simple job. At most of the major firms, you're just walking customers through a series of questions. Enter each answer into the computer, and it gives you the end result. Training takes anywhere from a weekend to a week of evenings, according to the advertisements.

Incidentally, this is why I only used a professional tax preparer once. I saw what little work they did and couldn't understand why I'd pay someone to do such a simple thing again. I thought they'd be full of tax secrets to help me get ahead, but they really just walk you through filling out a few forms.

Bhu
2012-01-06, 03:41 PM
But when answering your question could result in an infraction, you're likely to remain in the dark here. :smallwink: (I don't know the answer, either.)

Aah I didn't realize that...my thanks to those who have responded!

I've kind of been fibbed to by employers a lot so I just kinda wanted to make sure this one wasn't another scammer.

Zen Monkey
2012-01-06, 03:47 PM
Since these jobs typically don't require you to be a certified accountant or have a series 6 or 63 license, you would probably be told not to offer any sort of financial or legal advice to customers. It's more like a tutor, helpling someone complete their own homework. If they provide you with faulty information, which you then use to help them complete forms, I don't imagine you'd be liable.

As far as scams and reliable employment, if it's one of the seasonal employees brought in by a major (publicly traded) company, then it's probably legitimate. If it's some guy running a business out of his house, more caution may be required.

Bhu
2012-01-06, 06:44 PM
It's a franchisee for one of the big 3 companies so I'm prolly okay then. I'm just a little paranoid after getting the bait and switch at so many interviews.

Though I'm told as of next year the irs requires us all to be certified so it looks like I'll be having to get a license or something of some kind.

Bouregard
2012-01-09, 07:21 AM
From what I understand, it's a fairly simple job. At most of the major firms, you're just walking customers through a series of questions. Enter each answer into the computer, and it gives you the end result. Training takes anywhere from a weekend to a week of evenings, according to the advertisements.

Incidentally, this is why I only used a professional tax preparer once. I saw what little work they did and couldn't understand why I'd pay someone to do such a simple thing again. I thought they'd be full of tax secrets to help me get ahead, but they really just walk you through filling out a few forms.

Sadly this depends of your country. While I don't know how difficult it is in the USA I can understand asking a professional in Germany.

Two fun facts:

There are three possible ways to tax a christmas tree that are all valid depending on the situation.
And 70% of all books written about taxes are written in german.