PDA

View Full Version : Go Ahead and Run! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 03:03 AM
Commentary:
I was feeling restless tonight, and so I decided to do some more quote-based homebrew. Quote-based homebrew is where I form an idea for a class, spell, or feat based around a single bad ass quote I've heard. I spent about fifteen minutes trying to come up with something for a different quote, but it didn't work out.

So then as I was sitting here, stumped, Stark's line from Bleach Soul Resurrecion came to me. And I got the idea for this guy who tracked people that ran away from battle, but I thought, "how would that be useful"? Then it hit me: Fear effects suck because the stronger ones make people run away!

And here we are. Hope you've enjoyed it, and a little insight into my process. Seriously, it started with this quote, and I sat down and wrote ten levels about it. I assume. I'm actually typing this commentary before I've written a single ability. Have no idea what the prerequisites are gonna be yet, but it's a safe bet that Intimidate is gonna be a class skill...:smallbiggrin: Man, you know, this is the best part of homebrewing actually. The whole thing is like a game. You set an objective for yourself, like "I want a fear-based PrC", and then you have no rules or limits. You just have to make it to the other side. It's a lot like D&D itself actually, with the PEACHers being your teammates who help you out along the way. (People that spell-check are like bards using inspire competence. It's just a +2 bonus, but you're better off with it than nothing at all)

Okay. Well, if you guys excuse me, I have to actually write this class now. All I need is a name...Ooh, I know! How about...

The Hunter

Prerequisites: To become a hunter, you must meet the following prerequisites-

Feat: Track
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks, Survival 8 ranks
BAB: +3

HD: d8
Class Skills: The hunters class skills are Bluff, Climb, Craft, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim and Use Rope.
Skill Points: 6+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Speed Bonus

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|As Fast As You Can, Evil Eye| +10'

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|You Won't Escape|+10'

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Thrill of the Hunt +2|+20'

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|I Can Smell Your Fear|+20'

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Behind You!|+30'

6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Terrify, Thrill of the Hunt +4|+30'

7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Are You Afraid?|+40'

8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|Hunter's Pounce|+40'

9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|Thrill of the Hunt +6|+50'

10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Shocking Presence|+50'
[/table]

Class Features: The following are the class features of the hunter:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hunters gain proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, as well as with light armor. A hunter may also choose one exotic reach weapon or exotic ranged weapon and gain proficiency with it. Hunters prefer to keep their prey at a distance, as they are never satisfied with an easy kill. NPC hunters generally choose the whip as their exotic weapon proficiency, or the bowgun if they were already proficient with the whip.

As Fast As You Can (Ex): A hunter's presence is as unsettling as a dragon. Hunters live for the chase, they enjoy toying with their prey, and the look in their eyes is not one of hatred or malice, it is one of excitement. A hunter looks at her prey like a piece of meat, or a rabbit that might actually be able to last long enough to keep her entertained. When a hunter makes an Intimidate check to demoralize an opponent, she may, at her option, cause the creature to become frightened instead of shaken (but only if her Intimidate check succeeds). If she does so, the duration of the frightened effect is 1 round per class level, instead of 1 round. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Evil Eye (Ex): A hunter doesn't need to put much effort into startling her prey. All it takes is a glance...A hunter may make Intimidate checks to demoralize creatures as a swift action instead of a standard action, and it only requires that the creature be within 60 feet of her and able to see and hear her. She need not threaten her targets in melee.

Speed Boost (Ex): A hunter moves faster than her prey. She always lags a bit behind however, just to give them time to think they've escaped before she charges in for the kill. A hunter receives a +10' bonus to her land speed while Tracking or following a creature that is frightened or panicked. This bonus increases by an additional +10' at 3rd level, and every odd level after that, to a maximum of +50' at 9th level.

You Won't Escape! (Ex): A hunter doesn't need to follow a creature's tracks, but it certainly does give her something to do while she lets the bumbling creature put some distance between them. However, she's not unprofessional. Business is business, and if her prey needs to die, she won't let it get away. Starting at 2nd level, a hunter may move at her normal speed while following tracks without taking a penalty to her Survival check. She only takes a -10 penalty to her Survival check when attempting to Track a creature while moving at twice her normal land speed (instead of the normal -20 penalty)

Thrill of the Hunt (Ex): Nothing gets a hunter's blood flowing more than the excitement of a chase, and the thought of the final blow. Starting at 3rd level, a hunter receives a +2 morale bonus to her attack and damage rolls made against frightened or panicked creatures, as well as a +2 bonus to her Survival checks made to Track those creatures, and a +2 bonus on Intimidate checks made against those creatures. These bonuses improve to +4 at level 6, and +6 at level 9.

I Can Smell Your Fear (Ex): When a creature gets scared, it secretes a special hormone. That hormone has a specific scent. To a hunter, that scent is more addictive than any substance in the Book of Vile Darkness. Starting at 4th level, the hunter gains the scent extraordinary quality, but can only pick up the scents of creatures who are shaken, frightened, or panicked. She can catch scents of shaken creatures up to 30 feet away, or 60 feet if they are upwind (15 feet if they are downwind). Stronger fear, such as a frightened creature, can be detected at twice the range, while overpowering fear, such as a panicked creature, can be detected at three times the range. A hunter can even follow tracks of a creature stricken by fear, similar to the normal scent ability.

Behind You! (Ex): The hunter's favorite part of the chase is the part where she traps her prey, keeping a safe distance for a while, then charging forward, having them cry out in desperation, before opening their eyes to see the hunter is not there! But where is she... A hunter at 5th level or higher can use the Hide skill while being observed, but is only able to mask her presence from a creature preoccupied with fear. This ability works like the Hide in Plain Sight class feature of the ranger, except that it works in any terrain, but only against creatures who are currently shaken, frightened or panicked.

Terrify (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, whenever a hunter makes an Intimidate check to demoralize a creature, she may, at her option, render them panicked instead of shaken. If she chooses to do this, the duration of the effect is 2 rounds per class level, instead of 1 round. The hunter may still use her As Fast As You Can ability as well. (She can either shaken, frighten or panic a creature with a successful Intimidate check). This is a mind-affecting fear ability.

Are You Afraid? (Ex): Even creatures whose minds are shielded from influence know when someone's bluffing, and when they are actually going to kill you, and that's when survival instincts kick in. Starting at 7th level, creatures with an Intelligence score that are immune to [mind-affecting] or [fear] effects are not immune to the hunter's As Fast As You Can or Terrify abilities. Instead, they are treated as if they had a +4 racial bonus on their saving throws (and modified level checks to resist Intimidate) against fear.

Hunter's Pounce (Ex): When the hunter is done playing with her food, she doesn't really want to waste time fighting against it. Starting at 8th level, whenever the hunter makes a charge attack against a frightened or panicked creature, she is able to make a full attack action at the end of the charge.

Shocking Presence (Ex): Starting at 10th level, whenever a hunter successfully demoralizes a creature, she may attempt a second demoralize check as a free action against all other enemies within 60 feet of her who can see and hear her. This ability cannot trigger off itself.

Hanuman
2012-01-05, 03:16 AM
Ozodrin compatable PrC huh huh?

I was kind of surprised that the class is all chasing, no ambushing. I was imagining more of a sudden striker, shock and awe ambush fighter with nifty chase features, something that lines up well with combat trapsmith whether you have advantage or they do... but this seems like it's 100% about playing the upper-hand which encourages players to powergame as the whole theme you're setting up assumes they are never outmatched?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 03:19 AM
Ozodrin compatable PrC huh huh?

The Ozodrin? That Tooth and Tentacle thing? I haven't really looked at it in a while, but I suppose so...

Domriso
2012-01-05, 11:54 AM
Whoo! Hunters! I like how you made the class. Interesting abilities and it would be terrifying for most encounters. I might use it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 12:05 PM
Whoo! Hunters! I like how you made the class. Interesting abilities and it would be terrifying for most encounters. I might use it.

Thank you. :smallbiggrin: I'm glad you liked it.

Hanuman
2012-01-05, 10:24 PM
The Ozodrin? That Tooth and Tentacle thing? I haven't really looked at it in a while, but I suppose so...
Ozodrins are amazing chasers, they're a beatstick who has a perfect disguise feature, they get automatic high-DC or shaken, a brutal intimidate and they can hunt you faster than you can run, sea, sky, through ground, into timestop and antimagic dimensions, they are beasts and they are natural ambush hunters to boot.

Heliomance
2012-01-05, 10:38 PM
Panicked for two rounds per class level? Really?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 10:41 PM
Panicked for two rounds per class level? Really?

As an 11th level feature, yes. Considering that fear has been online for 4 levels already, and affects all creatures in a cone, and has a partial effect on a failed save, I'd say it's totally fair. (Fear also has close to the same duration by level 15, only short 5 rounds, assuming you're playing a wizard who has absolutely no ways to boost his caster level)

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-01-05, 11:08 PM
I would love to use this in tandem with an Avenging Executioner. Intimidating an opponent, then sudden striking the crap out of them? I love it!

absolmorph
2012-01-06, 12:39 AM
I love Seraphi Homebrew (TM).

Seriously, this class is wicked. I want to play it.
Also, Mike_The_Mystic, I actually thought of the Avenging Executioner when I saw this, too; the abilities mesh incredibly well.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 12:42 AM
I love Seraphi Homebrew (TM).

Seriously, this class is wicked. I want to play it.
Also, Mike_The_Mystic, I actually thought of the Avenging Executioner when I saw this, too; the abilities mesh incredibly well.

Will be adding that to my sig, right after I finish replying. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for your praise. I really do like [fear] effects, and this class just basically wrote itself after I came up with the initial idea.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-06, 11:37 AM
Commentary:
I was feeling restless tonight, and so I decided to do some more quote-based homebrew. Quote-based homebrew is where I form an idea for a class, spell, or feat based around a single bad ass quote I've heard. I spent about fifteen minutes trying to come up with something for a different quote, but it didn't work out.

So then as I was sitting here, stumped, Stark's line from Bleach Soul Resurrecion came to me. And I got the idea for this guy who tracked people that ran away from battle, but I thought, "how would that be useful"? Then it hit me: Fear effects suck because the stronger ones make people run away!

And here we are. Hope you've enjoyed it, and a little insight into my process. Seriously, it started with this quote, and I sat down and wrote ten levels about it. I assume. I'm actually typing this commentary before I've written a single ability. Have no idea what the prerequisites are gonna be yet, but it's a safe bet that Intimidate is gonna be a class skill...:smallbiggrin: Man, you know, this is the best part of homebrewing actually. The whole thing is like a game. You set an objective for yourself, like "I want a fear-based PrC", and then you have no rules or limits. You just have to make it to the other side. It's a lot like D&D itself actually, with the PEACHers being your teammates who help you out along the way. (People that spell-check are like bards using inspire competence. It's just a +2 bonus, but you're better off with it than nothing at all)

Okay. Well, if you guys excuse me, I have to actually write this class now. All I need is a name...Ooh, I know! How about...

What do you think of Soul Resurrection, Seraphi? I rather liked it...got final mode Ichigo already, and I only got the game for christmas. :smallbiggrin:

As for the class proper, I have no experience PEACHing, but I rather like it. Then again, I love Seraphi Homebrew in general...particularly your brawler(Quantum Punch Defense FTW. :smallsmile:)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 12:57 PM
What do you think of Soul Resurrection, Seraphi? I rather liked it...got final mode Ichigo already, and I only got the game for christmas. :smallbiggrin:

Well, this isn't the first time I used a Soul Resurrection quote for a class. (My hell rager's title is called "This is the Power of Hell!", which was of course inspired by Skullclad Ichigo, who is AMAZING)

As for the class proper, I have no experience PEACHing, but I rather like it. Then again, I love Seraphi Homebrew in general...particularly your brawler(Quantum Punch Defense FTW. :smallsmile:)

Thank you good sir! I wish I could sig that, but unfortunately I've run out of space...x.x

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-06, 01:03 PM
Well, this isn't the first time I used a Soul Resurrection quote for a class. (My hell rager's title is called "This is the Power of Hell!", which was of course inspired by Skullclad Ichigo, who is AMAZING)

Thank you good sir! I wish I could sig that, but unfortunately I've run out of space...x.x

Indeed he is! Other than Final Mode, he's my prefered Ichigo model...sad, in a way that I don't like his normal mode. :smallbiggrin:

Damn, and I was so looking forward to being quoted in a signature. :smallbiggrin: No big.

...Say Seraphi, do you take requests for homebrew?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 01:32 PM
Damn, and I was so looking forward to being quoted in a signature. :smallbiggrin: No big.

Yeah, well, unfortunately I've got too many quotes already...

...Say Seraphi, do you take requests for homebrew?

Indeed I do! Any requests can be PMed to me.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-06, 01:51 PM
Yeah, well, unfortunately I've got too many quotes already...

Indeed I do! Any requests can be PMed to me.

A testament to how awesome your work is. :smallsmile:

I will do just that then!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 02:18 AM
I was kind of surprised that the class is all chasing, no ambushing. I was imagining more of a sudden striker, shock and awe ambush fighter with nifty chase features, something that lines up well with combat trapsmith whether you have advantage or they do... but this seems like it's 100% about playing the upper-hand which encourages players to powergame as the whole theme you're setting up assumes they are never outmatched?

Sadism is about facing, frightening, torturing, and killing things weaker than you. A worthy opponent would be too much of a challenge for a true sadist. He'd do it, he just wouldn't get any pleasure or fun out of it.

Besides, precision-strikers, ambushers, and other stalker classes who really can't hold their own in a fair fight piss me off. This is a class for a ranger, not a rogue.

Hanuman
2012-01-08, 03:42 AM
Sadism is about facing, frightening, torturing, and killing things weaker than you. A worthy opponent would be too much of a challenge for a true sadist. He'd do it, he just wouldn't get any pleasure or fun out of it.

Besides, precision-strikers, ambushers, and other stalker classes who really can't hold their own in a fair fight piss me off. This is a class for a ranger, not a rogue.
Sounds like the class flavor is personality-specialized rather than fitting an archetype or granting specific powers, which is fine.

Power is subject to change, creating a situation that causes something or someone to be weaker than you is a good setup for people with deeply troubling issues-- devious and indirect means are used all the time in crazy or disturbed individuals who drug or capture perfectly capable people to torture or rape.

I donno, I guess hunter kind of rings differently to me, balancing methodical preparation that becomes an adrenaline rush on initiation after the initial hit doesn't outright kill.

Here's a scene from the movie Hanna (2011), Hanna is one of my favorite fictional characters-- she's a girl who was raised in the woods all her life, I do recommend watching the movie directly as the trailers are misleading and is outright propaganda.
Hanna 2011: "Deer Kill Scene" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nffzd84DrsA)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 03:47 AM
Sounds like the class flavor is personality-specialized, which is fine.

Power is subject to change, creating a situation that causes something or someone to be weaker than you is a good setup for people with deeply troubling issues-- devious and indirect means are used all the time in crazy or disturbed individuals who drug or capture perfectly capable people to torture or rape.

I donno, I guess hunter kind of rings differently to me, balancing methodical preparation that becomes an adrenaline rush on initiation after the initial hit doesn't outright kill.

Here's a scene from the movie Hanna (2011), Hanna is one of my favorite characters-- she's a girl who was raised in the woods all her life, I do recommend watching the movie directly as the trailers are misleading and outright propaganda.
Hanna 2011: "Deer Kill Scene" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nffzd84DrsA)

I believe you are putting too much stock into the name. The name of the class, "the hunter", does not refer to the profession. It refers to the verb itself, at its very core.

Here's a quoted definition:

hunt [huhnt]
verb (used with object)
1. to chase or search for (game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing.
2. to pursue with force, hostility, etc., in order to capture (often followed by down ): They hunted him down and hanged him.

That's the idea of the class. Instead of fighting someone one-on-one, you force your prey to run from you, and then you chase him down and slaughter him like a wild animal. It has nothing to do with an actual modern hunter or trapper.

Hanuman
2012-01-08, 04:48 AM
Yes, I agree the same as an avenging executioner class is based on a personality loosely based on an avenging execution, but has no real ties to an actual executioner and it's role in history or society, it's personality based same as the role of your Hunter portrays a specific individual's flavor rather than a traditional archetype.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-16, 02:01 PM
I would love to use this in tandem with an Avenging Executioner. Intimidating an opponent, then sudden striking the crap out of them? I love it!

What book is Avenging Executioner in?

Hanuman
2012-01-16, 02:18 PM
Complete scoundrel, it works great in tandem with SAN heavy campaigns!

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-22, 10:33 AM
Aw, I thought I had finally found a class based off the game Monster Hunter, but I guess I'll have to make it myself. Still, even if you make a class based around being stupid, it would still (most likely, about a 83.7142 percent chance) be incredibly awesome.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-22, 11:15 AM
Aw, I thought I had finally found a class based off the game Monster Hunter, but I guess I'll have to make it myself. Still, even if you make a class based around being stupid, it would still (most likely, about a 83.7142 percent chance) be incredibly awesome.

I have 3 classes that are completely not serious, actually. (If that's what you meant by a class based around being stupid). They are the common hero (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209500), the bear master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201778) and the bro (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216305). Haha, but a class based on Monster Hunter would be interesting.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-22, 11:27 AM
Actually, I've tried to make that kind of class a few times, but the hard part is deciding which monsters flesh and bone does what. Also, it's ideal to use a piecemeal armor system for monster hunter games. It can be found on the internet, or in Pathfinder's ultimate combat. If nobody else makes it I'll do it after I finish my other two projects.

Major_Muffin
2012-01-23, 02:57 PM
This is cool, I like it.