PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Comeliness

Jon_Dahl
2012-01-05, 05:02 AM
Initial Attitude of the Diplomacy-skill is very interesting. It's basically DM fiat all the way. I'm really, really fine with that, but I'd like to have an optional system representing the initial reaction. So, behold... The return of Comeliness :)

There are two kind of Comeliness. Handsomeness and Beauty.
Both are calculated separately and only the highest score counts.

HANDSOMENESS - add the following scores together:
Con-modifier/2 (round down)
Str-modifier/2 (round down)
Cha-modifier
Manly and stylish clothing or armor min. -1 or max. +1. Usually +0.
Plate-armor +1 / Masterwork plate-armor +2 (not cumulative with "clothing"-bonus or penalty)
Slightly & visibly scarred +1
Disfigured or an aberration min. -1 or max. -4
Different race -2 (standard PHB-races) or -3 (others)
Enemy race -4 (not cumulative with "Different race")
Race that has Str-bonus but no Cha-penalty +1
Divine Grace or Unearthly Grace +1
-1 per age category above Adulthood

BEAUTY - add the following scores together:
Dex/2-modifier/2 (round down)
Con/2-modifier/2 (round down)
Cha-modifier
Elegant and beautiful clothing min. -2 or max +2. Usually +0.
+1 per 1 gp of make-up. Max. +2 (make-up must be renewed daily with a successful Disguise DC 10)
+1 per 50 gp jewelry. Max +4
Slightly & visibly scarred -4
Disfigured or an aberration min. -2 or max. -8
Different race -2 (standard PHB-races) or -3 (others)
Enemy race -4 (not cumulative with "Different race")
Race that has Dex-bonus but no Cha-penalty +1
Half-elf +2
Divine Grace or Unearthly Grace +1
-2 per age category above Adulthood

Halve the Beauty or Handsomeness if your INT is less than 7.

RESULT:
-1 or less = Unfriendly
0 - 9 = Indifferent
10 or more = Friendly

NOTE: Social status is not counted in Comeliness; it's a separate issue.

Debihuman
2012-01-09, 08:31 PM
This is probably too complex. Comeliness in 2nd edition was just another stat. In 3.x you simply choose how you look. Being good-looking really shouldn't have much of an in-game effect except for perhaps when trying to attract a member of the opposite sex, and even then it is only one factor.

Debby

Isair
2012-01-09, 08:41 PM
If you want an additional stat, you can seek out the Appearance stat of the Book of Erotic Fantasy. Yes, sounds pervert, but it may be useful depending the kind of game you are playing (I have players having to roll to see if their character was pregnant or not, for example).

In any case, the book has a good 3rd edition adaptation of beauty. It works exactly like an additional stat whose only game-related effects are some social skills. With it, Charisma no longer represents Personality and Beauty, losing the second trait for the Appearance score.
If you are really interested in an additional stat to represent the character's beauty, I suggest looking it up.

Zale
2012-01-09, 10:40 PM
So if you're stupid, you get less attractive?

Which means touch of idiocy makes you uglier! :smalleek:

Isair
2012-01-10, 05:39 AM
Well, with the basic 6 ability scores, Charisma does represent both personality and physical beauty. It was always the most controversial stat. After all, you could be beautiful but have a weak personality that is easily to influence and manipulate, or you could be damn ugly and have a strong personality.
Worst of all is that if you say your negative Charisma score is due to being ugly, you don't gain bonuses to Intimidate and lets face it, an ugly character can be more intimidating than a good-looking one.
And, by the basic rules, anything that messes up your Charisma, is messing both your personality and beauty, yes.

Ashtagon
2012-01-10, 06:40 AM

Smart is sexy!

Maybe it means you know how to brush your hair?

Jon_Dahl
2012-01-10, 06:54 AM

Well, I was just trying rule out animals and creatures with near-animal intelligence.
Such as a dog can't be especially beautiful or handsome.

Touch of Idiocy won't make you uglier, but that blank stare of your eyes will damage your comeliness.

This can be done differently, of course... I'm more than willing to hear suggestions :)