PDA

View Full Version : Advise on my Warblde

Morbis Meh
2012-01-05, 09:35 AM
Good day playgrounders!
I recently just sacrificed my last character to prevent a party TPK and now I am rerolling as a level 7 Human warblade (much to my DM's chagrin ). Anyways, I am making him into a battlefield control monster and need some advise. Now before anyone says play a Crusader I just want to say that I have already done so before and would really prefer playing as an AoO warblade. My feats are as follows:
(H)EWP: Spiked chain
(1) Combat expertise
(3) Improved trip
(Bonus) Ironheart Aura
(6) Stormguard Warrior

Now for level 9 my feat choice for my bonus feat will be combat reflexes but I am at a loss for my actual feat. I was thinking of hold the line but that's too situational... I was also wondering if I should take leadership at level 6 and hold off in storm guard until 9I so I can pick a cleric cohort to buff me. Any advise is welcome and I might take a 2 level crusader dip ro pick up Thicket of blades but who knows. Here are my stats in case you I were wondering:
Str:16
Dex: 12
Con:16
Int:14
Wis:10
Cha:8

Greenish
2012-01-05, 09:40 AM
Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).

Big Fau
2012-01-05, 09:40 AM
Your 9th level feat should be Stand Still (for BC) or Karmic Strike (for Damage output; combine this with Stormguard Warrior).

Warblades are capable of using Battlefield Control quite well; they are only really missing out on Thicket of Blades or Setting Sun throws (which is a different type of BC). Dual Stance is extremely good for a BC-focused Martial Adept (although it comes extremely late-game).

Ithandor
2012-01-05, 09:43 AM
I would say you'll need Combat Reflexes sooner than 9. How set are you on Ironheart Aura/Stormguard warrior? I'd consider Jotunbrud (PGtF) if you have access to it, and taking CR for your first Warblade bonus feat.

You could go Crusader 1/Warblade 6. If you went Crusader again at level 8, that would get you Thicket of Blades, which is huge.

For future feats, you could get Mage Slayer at 9, Blindfight with your Warblade bonus at 11, and Pierce Magical Concealment at 12 (around the time the stance Hearing the Air becomes available, very nice combo).

Just my 2c, hope some of it is useful :smallsmile:

FMArthur
2012-01-05, 10:34 AM
Multiclassing isn't necessary to cherry-pick singular maneuvers or stances off of a martial adept's list when you happen to be a different martial adept class already.

Buy a 1500gp Devoted Spirit Amulet for a single Devoted Spirit maneuver of up to 3rd level, and take Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades. They're just part of your Warblade repertoire now.

Morbis Meh
2012-01-05, 11:20 AM
Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).

I don't know about that one.. I would have to ask my DM for a ruling on that one but I have thought about it.

Combat reflexes is merely there to satisfy the requirement for robilar's gambit which will further enhance combat rythmn/channel the storm. Beyond that combat reflexes isn't very good due to my low dexterity mid.

The devoted spirit amulet sounds like a great idea I just may do that... but are you sure that I qualify for martial stance because I don't actually know the maneuver I am just able to use it.

As for karmic strike, I don't qualify because I don't have dodge and this late I don't want to wait (we are slow at leveling and may not go much higher anyways)

Big Fau
2012-01-05, 11:57 AM
As for karmic strike, I don't qualify because I don't have dodge and this late I don't want to wait (we are slow at leveling and may not go much higher anyways)

In that case, can you dump EWP (Spiked Chain) and go Unarmed Strike+Guisarme? Same effect, but your damage output takes a minor hit (something you can make up for easily with the Stormguard Warrior feat).

You can even get Improved Unarmed Strike without it costing you a feat via a Ring in Dragon Magic or other sources.

Morbis Meh
2012-01-05, 12:46 PM
Hmmm I don't have any extra money to blow in a ring and my dm is extremely stingy in loot... I could always substitute with armor spikes, which you can add on breastplates.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-05, 12:46 PM
Why don't you simply take 2 levels in Fighter or Passive Way Monk?
Yeah I know they are rated tier 5, but feats are good. It's just a little dip.