PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips and/or Adventure Packs.

Noirdeathe
2012-01-05, 10:52 AM
Hi guys, I thought you lot might be able to help me.

I'm planning on running my first ever D&D game for a small group of friends (3-4) who have also never, ever played D&D (luckily however they have tried the boardgame and are fans of the likes of Arkham Horror and Munchkin).

I was wondering if anyone had some good, easy to run adventures at hand? I think the campaign setting I am using is effectively 3.0 or 3.5 or failing that, some tips on how to get the most out of it?

I think I've got all the kit for it (books, squared mat, dry-wipe markers, etcetc) as well as a few adventures that I found online but if anyone could suggest anything else, that'd be a massive help.

Thanks!

Yora
2012-01-05, 11:03 AM
Start simple. You are all learning the game, so some caves with monsters in each one will be more than enough for the beginning. Long stories with lots of places and interesting people can come after you done that once or twice and know how things work.

Try to get enough dice. Having once die for everyone is nice to have. However, you'll mostly be using d20, d8, and d6. The other dice will be needed so rarely that its usually enough to have just one shared by everyone.

Noirdeathe
2012-01-05, 11:07 AM
Start simple. You are all learning the game, so some caves with monsters in each one will be more than enough for the beginning. Long stories with lots of places and interesting people can come after you done that once or twice and know how things work.

Try to get enough dice. Having once die for everyone is nice to have. However, you'll mostly be using d20, d8, and d6. The other dice will be needed so rarely that its usually enough to have just one shared by everyone.

Check on the dice there, I went out of my way during Christmas to pick them up. That and about 300 + plastic figures for representation, hah.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-05, 12:02 PM
I suggest Red Hand of Doom. Do some minor local stuff first, yknow, kill the kobolds, retrieve treasure, etc, etc. Read through the adventure module beforehand, and set things up so they already know the area a bit when they're high enough to go into the actual campaign.

Noirdeathe
2012-01-05, 02:42 PM
I suggest Red Hand of Doom. Do some minor local stuff first, yknow, kill the kobolds, retrieve treasure, etc, etc. Read through the adventure module beforehand, and set things up so they already know the area a bit when they're high enough to go into the actual campaign.

Thanks for that! I picked up a copy of the Red hand of Doom, Temple of Elemental Evil and Keep on The Borderlands (I think). If you can think of any other good low level adventures, please don't hesitate to tell me!

Kerrin
2012-01-07, 11:35 PM
The Shattered Gates Of Slaughterguard is a good starting module. It contains a local setting in a valley with cities, towns, and villages, along with a history that forms the background and setup for the adventure.

The adventure is a three part story with exploration and lots of fighting in three dungeons. There are some story and roleplaying bits in between, along with openings for you to add as many more as you'd like between the three dungeons.

The adventure takes th characters from first level through fifth or sixth, which would put them in about the right spot for The Red Hand Of Doom as a follow up.

LansXero
2012-01-08, 01:50 AM
While the above suggestions are really nice, they are either dungeon-crawly or very involved affairs.

I recommend Death in Freeport; its not a very traditional D&D adventure (no dragons and no real dungeon), but its low level, easy to run as is, roleplay/plot heavy, and a lot of fun. Or was for me at least. Best of all, its a trilogy of self-contained adventures, so you can either continue and turn it into a campaign or just run the first. Its available online from Green Ronin's site, I believe.