PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gunslinger (Pistolero) Tactics

Arutema
2012-01-05, 12:31 PM
I may soon be replacing my current character in a Curse of the Crimson throne game with a Halfling Pistolero, and I'm wondering whether to prioritize damage per shot or number of shots. Character should start at level 5.

Number of shots gives me more chances to add Dex to damage, but requires expensive alchemical cartridges to get off a full attack.

The GM has graciously houseruled the Vital Strike feat chain into one feat that scales with BAB. So it may be cheaper and just as effective to to pile extra damage dice onto a single shot at full BAB and spend my move actions reloading ordinary ball and powder.

Starting feats are:
(1) Gunsmithing,
(1) Point-Blank Shot
(3) Precise Shot
(4) Extra Grit
(5) Rapid Reload (pistol)

Future feats (suggestions needed!):
(7) Vital Strike?
(8) Deadly Aim?
(9) Far Shot?
(11) Signature Deed (Up Close and Deadly)
(12) ???
(13) ???
(15) ???
(16) ???
(17) ???
(19) ???
(20) ???

Crasical
2012-01-05, 01:44 PM
My knowledge for gunslingers is hazy at best, but don't you get Dead Shot in two levels to do most of what Vital Strike does?

Also, are you not crafting your own ammunition? It's only six gold for a paper cartridge if you make your own, and that's actually a little cheaper than masterwork arrows.

deuxhero
2012-01-05, 02:00 PM
There is one big advantage for vital strike: With PF's concentration rules, you can ready an action against casting and use it (Dead Shot is a full round and can't be readyied)

Targeting touch AC helps with mage armor/shield/ect, but you still suffer against miss chance spells, so if there is something in PF and works for ranged attacks (blind fight only works for melee) to deal with them, take it.

If you aren't going to do anti casting don't take it.

Edit: Elven accuracy is blind fight for bow elfs. Ask your DM if you can use it for guns.

The Random NPC
2012-01-05, 03:52 PM
I'm just going to leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213035) here.

Infernalbargain
2012-01-05, 09:02 PM
One of the big purposes of going pistolero is getting double Dex to damage (pistol training does not replace guntraining) at which point you'll want to take advantage of that by going for maximum attacks. If you can get enough bonuses to hit, then dual wield double-barreled pistols.

Arutema
2012-01-06, 02:33 AM
I'm just going to leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213035) here.

Read it before I posted. Lacks the kind of feat ant tactics advice I'm looking for at the moment.

One of the big purposes of going pistolero is getting double Dex to damage (pistol training does not replace guntraining) at which point you'll want to take advantage of that by going for maximum attacks. If you can get enough bonuses to hit, then dual wield double-barreled pistols.

It's already a houserule-heavy game. There is no way my GM is going to let that interpretation of RAW stand.

Bhaakon
2012-01-06, 04:41 PM
My advice would be to multi-class after level 11. Preferably into something that gets SA progression. A vivisectionist-archetype alchemist is my preference, because the vestigial arm discovery lets you dual-wield pistols more effectively (you need a free hand to reload, so without the extra limb, you'd have to drop of the guns after you'd spent the first 12 shots).

I'd say that you should be going for more shots per round in order to maximize your up close and deadly/SA damage. It's tough to swallow the 6 GP/shot at low levels, but it becomes much less of a hassle as the game goes on and WBL explodes.

Arutema
2012-01-07, 05:02 AM
No thanks on growing a freakish extra arm just so I can dual-wield, as I doubt I'll be able to fit the two-weapon fighting feats in anyway.

Now a rogue dip might work.