PDA

View Full Version : Stargate SG-1 RPG, feeling things out

EltonJ
2012-01-05, 01:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Stargate_SG-1_cast_minus_Jonas_Quinn.jpg

a feeler out to see who is interested.

The Stargate RPG provides the one opportunity that really is far reaching. The ability to link every sort of campaign world in some weird mashup. This is not really without precedent.

Harn and Forgotten Realms were close to Earth in some way and were "lost." Tada -- Enter STARGATE SG-1! The SG teams are exploring the Galaxy, and find the gate addresses to Faerun and Harn.

I have:

1. GURPS Fantasy (early edition of GURPS Banestorm).

2. Forgotten Realms (I placed the Stargate on the Chessentan/Unther border).

3. Dragon*Star

4. Eberron

5. Star*Drive Campaign Setting (all the worlds of the Verge, with a Stargate!)

6. Blue Planet (I can put a Stargate on Poseidon!)

7. L5R (now that would be an interesting place to visit. How would the Jade Empire react to the appearance of the Tau'ri?)

Plus a lot of other areas I can just dream up. So, who is nominally interested?

Insider
2012-01-05, 02:37 PM
Interesting... A sort of mother-of-all RP systems? It reminds me Amber DRPG, where you could play in all settings you (and DM) could possibly imagine.
One advantage of your idea over ADRPG is that instead of gods the PC's would be contempolary men and women, roles in which we have a lot of experience:smallbiggrin: Or if you want to place Stargate team as villains and invaders it would be a interesting intelectual effort to understand their motives.

IMHO Stargate was wonderful movie, but it was a bit overdone in series, which left a lot of bad aftertaste.

archon_huskie
2012-01-05, 02:39 PM
I feel I should add that there IS a Stargate RPG system already.

http://www.stargate-rpg.com/

EccentricCircle
2012-01-05, 04:17 PM
The only problem I can see is the existance of magic in many of the worlds you mention. While Stargate has what at first glance looks a lot like fantasy settings it isn't a magical world, but rather works on the principle that "any suficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
how would this interface with a setting like the forgotton realms where the way magic works is well defined in the weave and the existance of the gods.
even if you make the gods out to be ascended and the weave an advanced piece of technology that they created you run into the problem of the gods behaving a lot more like Ori, which would conflict with the series canon?
Eberron would be easier due to the lack of actual gods, and the fact that I can see powerful beings like the Quori working as Stargate aliens, if the way their dream state works was shifted from being a fantays to a science fiction concept. (I.e. they are a race of ascended beings, rather than beings native to a higher plane)
It sounds like a great idea. but I'd be careful to make sure that the continuities can match up.

Heliomance
2012-01-05, 08:43 PM
I feel obliged to point out that, as sidhe is pronounced shee, the joke in your signature doesn't work.

EltonJ
2012-01-05, 09:40 PM
The only problem I can see is the existance of magic in many of the worlds you mention. While Stargate has what at first glance looks a lot like fantasy settings it isn't a magical world, but rather works on the principle that "any suficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

how would this interface with a setting like the forgotton realms where the way magic works is well defined in the weave and the existance of the gods.
even if you make the gods out to be ascended and the weave an advanced piece of technology that they created you run into the problem of the gods behaving a lot more like Ori, which would conflict with the series canon?

The RPG gets around this with the rule that Science Rules. Arcane and Divine Magic can be adequately explained away by application of quantum mechanics. Ad nauseum. The Gods, if they ever see one, would probably be Goa'ulds.

Eberron would be easier due to the lack of actual gods, and the fact that I can see powerful beings like the Quori working as Stargate aliens, if the way their dream state works was shifted from being a fantays to a science fiction concept. (I.e. they are a race of ascended beings, rather than beings native to a higher plane)

Exactly.

It sounds like a great idea. but I'd be careful to make sure that the continuities can match up.

Takes careful planning, but science trumps all in this case.

Emmerask
2012-01-05, 10:32 PM

Though a bit later there definitely is something very akin to magic (Q like powers etc ;)) (if we talk about the series not the movie)

archon_huskie
2012-01-06, 07:11 PM
Eight Chevron addresses. Ascended beings in different galaxies do not seem to be aware of each other. Thus you can have "Gods" with "Magic" without breaking SG cannon. They just have to be in a different galaxy.

A few years after SGU ended, Dr. Rush manages to bring Destiny to Earth. He reports to Stargate Command about a few of the galaxies he traveled through that merit more research. He gives them the gate addresses and an alien ZPM to power the gate.

Or you could give Rodney McKay and Samantha Carter a mild heart failure by having magic be real.

EccentricCircle
2012-01-07, 06:21 AM
I feel obliged to point out that, as sidhe is pronounced shee, the joke in your signature doesn't work.

I'm aware of the correct pronunciation. and accept that it only works as a written joke, but nonetheless felt it was funny enough to put in my signature. that said you can see from the other jokes in my signature that the standard for getting put there isn't especially high...