PDA

View Full Version : aaaaaaaaaaarrrgghh!!!

dehro
2012-01-05, 04:14 PM
... and breathe..

apologies.. I've kinda had enough crap for one day.
firstly, my place got robbed last week..
which is not exactly as bad as it sounds, but still..
basically I live in what we call "the residence" 3 small appartments in a large garden overlooking quite a view.. as the birds fly about 100 metres from where my dad lives with his family. we rent 2 of the flats out, whilst I live in the third one. I didn't have much worth stealing, namely a TV, my Ipod, my camera, my xbox and it's relative games (I had luckily taken my laptop with me and keep my PC at my dad's place which is where my office is).
so.. all in all, about a 1000 euros worth of stuff stolen. those morons even took the time to go through the xbox games and only take the good ones, leaving behind 3-4 very crappy ones (also, fable 3, which shows they at least have good taste)..
the main problem has been that to steal 1k € worth of stuff they caused damages for 2-3 grand..in broken glass and window frames.
so this morning I had to deal with a glass supplier leaving us in the lurch for a full week.. in between chasing customers who aren't paying (but still apparently have money to go on holidays).. so I already wasn't in the best of moods when my day took a turn for the worse.

since 6 months ago I totalled my car and had to keep it in storage for this long for legal reasons, I had had it dropped at the back of the garden/field surrounding my place. today was the big day in which I'd get rid of the thing.. so as the tow truck gets through the gate I wonder about it's size..it's about the biggest you can get before the one that tows actual trucks.
as the tow truck moves in position, in a slightly inclined piece of field, I hear the guy mutter something like "let's hope it hasn't rained recently" as he loads the totalled car on the back of his truck.
it had
yesterday
the reason for his observation became clear as soon as he started the engine to leave. his front right wheel apparently had managed to find the only bit of shallow ground in the entire fricking garden.. burrying itself as he tried to rev up the engine.
as it turns out, this truck has traction only on the back left wheel. who knew that was even possible?
my dad, brilliant as ever, comes to the rescue with his range rover. he's towed a few cars out of ditches with it before..
not this time..the truck is too heavy and to unload my wreck off of it isn't possible because of it's current position.
so..the tow truck calls up a colleague who comes with another tow truck..a smaller one!!!
after much swearing and labouring and more swearing, we somehow manage to finally get the original tow truck out of the ditch it had dug itself in.
it's dark now.. (yes, I took pictures of the tow truck being towed by another)
at this point it's driver has the brilliant idea to try and get out of the garden by taking the steepest route... in reverse!.. and of course fails miserably and is forced to maneuver up and down a few times, finally managing to gtfo, meekly followed by the smaller tow truck.
at this stage I have run out of swearwords..which, in italian, and in my case has only happened once before, in circumstances involving a pretty blonde and a string of bad decisions.
as I look upon the remains of our garden/field, all I can see is a web of tiremarks of what used to be grass (well..grass and other stuff that shouldn't be growing there, we haven't really given the field the best of cares)... and is now mud and uprooted assorted green stuff.
it's dark, cold and both me and my dad are fed up with it all, and just glad to be done.
so we go home and have dinner.
then I realize I've, at some stage, lost the remote to the gate.. we go out looking for it and can't really find anything in the dark, despite torches and stuff. of course this happens on the one night when I really have been all over the damn field, so there's no way to limit the search to a specific area.
we give up and decide to do this by daylight.
I say something in the way of "if the trucks haven't driven right over it, which is entirely possible, it should be ok, as it's a dry night"

it is now an hour later

it is raining

Asta Kask
2012-01-05, 04:24 PM
:eek:

Errr.... have you offended some god recently? Spoken ill of Athena or Hermes?

*hug*

Bhu
2012-01-05, 04:29 PM
hugs from kitteh! :smalleek:

dehro
2012-01-05, 08:11 PM
:eek:

Errr.... have you offended some god recently?

I clearly must have :smalleek:

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 08:18 PM
Well, on the bright side, it sounds like one of those stories you'll one day be able to look back upon and laugh. "Hey dad, remember that one time..." sorta thing.

But at the moment, yeah, that sucks. Sorry man. >.<

DonutBoy12321
2012-01-05, 10:49 PM
We all have those days. You just gotta keep going.
My sincerest condolences.

Howler Dagger
2012-01-05, 10:55 PM
*takes off typhon disguise and hugs dehro*

dehro
2012-01-06, 11:00 AM
new day, rather sunny and relaxed (it helps that it's national holiday).. also, I found the remote to the gate.
it was thoroughly stamped into the ground by one of the trucks, and rained on.. but I managed to fix it through the careful use of a hair dryer a knife, a screwdriver and a mug of hot chocolate. (McGyver has nothing on me)

Alex Star
2012-01-06, 02:29 PM
I managed to fix it through the careful use of a hair dryer a knife, a screwdriver and a mug of hot chocolate. (McGyver has nothing on me)

Really only McGuyver if you used the screwdriver to chip off a piece of the mug which you then used the knife to whittle into the shape of a tool that you used to dismantle the hair dryer to scavange for parts which you then used the steam from the hot chocolate to make the metal more malleable as you inserted the new electrical parts from the scavanged hair dryer into the remote thus rendering it useable again.

This is what you did right?

dehro
2012-01-07, 04:48 PM
ayup...blindfolded of course:smallwink:

Asta Kask
2012-01-07, 04:55 PM
In Sweden and Denmark days when everything goes wrong are called "Tycho Brahe days" after the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe) The man was so hated by the ordinary citizens of Ven put up a spirited resistance 300 years later when the state wanted to erect a statue to him. So a "Tycho Brahe day" is a day that's as bad as having Tycho Brahe visit you.

dehro
2012-01-08, 07:09 PM
miracles do happen, apparently.. I just found, in the last box of rubble left from the break-in, my photo camera which I thought stolen..looks like the thieves missed it too.. and people say I should tidy up a bit. I'm never cleaning my house again...
what's next? are they going to bring back my xbox and tell me they only took it for servicing, or am I being too optimistic?

Anxe
2012-01-09, 01:02 AM
Perhaps your Xbox developed the red ring of death while the thieves were taking it and they can no longer use it?

grimbold
2012-01-09, 10:44 AM
and i thought midterm week was rough :smalleek:

Hattish Thing
2012-01-11, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry for youre loss. :smallfrown: