View Full Version : shadow conjuration

kabreras
2012-01-05, 05:57 PM
I have a problem with this spell.

I understand the basics of it when i use it against someone but lets say i want to do a shadow conjuration to call a phantom steed or a leomuld secure shetler.

I know that they are shadow so i disbeleve them...
What happend next ?

sonofzeal
2012-01-05, 06:10 PM
"Against disbelievers, they are 20% likely to work"

Toliudar
2012-01-05, 07:27 PM
I believe that you are underestimating our ability to maintain cognitive dissonance - the holding of two different, and indeed mutually contradictory ideas as true, simultaneously. I see nothing wrong with a caster being able to create an illusionary elephant, and then ride that elephant into town.

Alternately:

Nothing FORCES you to make a will save against your own spell. You automatically succeed if you do make that save, but it's not required.

Jack_Simth
2012-01-05, 08:20 PM
I know that they are shadow so i disbeleve them... This step was a bad choice.

And yes, it was a choice.

You seem to be looking at Proof that it's not real (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrowsandIllusionsDisb elief), and assuming that the lack of a need to make a saving throw means you can't forgo it (voluntarilyGivingupaSavingThrow). However, the exact relevant texts:

A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw.(emphasis added)

A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality. (emphasis added)

You don't need to make the saving throw, as you have proof... but that doesn't mean you're not entitled to one, which you can willingly forgo, and accept the spell's full results.

After all, shouldn't D&D players, of all people, know the benefits of willingly suspending disbelief?

kabreras
2012-01-06, 01:44 AM
so for shadow conjurations that affect myself i can just pretend they are not shadow by not making the save ?

Aharon
2012-01-06, 02:52 AM
That is one interpretation.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice
something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw.

could also reasonably interpreted as "He doesn't need a saving throw to notice something is amiss", i.e., he automatically notices something is amiss.

Plus, as sonofzeal already pointed out, it's still 20% likely to work for you.

Kantolin
2012-01-06, 12:19 PM
Personally, since it /is/ partially real, I think of it as focusing on the real portions of the spell so they work.

Which can lead to a 'don't look down' sort of scenario, which is interesting enough. Just focus on the real portion of it.

Either way, if you were to disbelieve it for any reason, you'd have a 20% chance of it effecting you. So you might want to summon ~5 shadow conjured mounts instead.

Binks
2012-01-06, 12:58 PM
Just use the classic cartoon logic (or hitchhiker's guide) and make sure you're distracted right as you start riding the shadow elephant. As long as you don't remember it's not real you can ride it, but as soon as you remember you fall.

Having an ally that can juggle something that shouldn't be juggle-able as you go is optional but beneficial.

darksolitaire
2012-01-06, 01:05 PM
"I am mighty wizard. I know that if I believe so, these illusions work as if they were real."

Telonius
2012-01-06, 04:15 PM
Have a high bluff check and a low sense motive. Tell yourself, "This is a real phantom steed!" Then, enjoy the ride. :smallbiggrin: