PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Spell Selection Advice

Xenodarkelf
2012-01-05, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone, i'm currently playing the Savage Tide campaign, we just arrived at the Isle of Dread (for the ones who have already played it) and have been through the first encounters and dungeons.

I'm playing a Grey Elf Wizard (generalist substitution levels) and i'd like some recommendation about the spells i should select to face off things like Tyrannosaurs, Colossal Centipedes and all manner of monsters with over 150 HP.

I'm level 7 atm, Wizard 5 / Incantater 2, i usually make it through with the Manyjaws spell but it doesn't deal enough damage for the kind of stuff we are fighting, any advice on good spells to disable large monsters at this level?
Tks :)

(Oh and please avoid spoiling the adventure if you have played or read it before).

Darrin
2012-01-05, 07:38 PM
I'm level 7 atm, Wizard 5 / Incantater 2, i usually make it through with the Manyjaws spell but it doesn't deal enough damage for the kind of stuff we are fighting, any advice on good spells to disable large monsters at this level?
Tks :)

Well, ray of stupidity can one-shot anything with animal or vermin intelligence, ranged touch attack, no save.

Metahuman1
2012-01-05, 07:57 PM
Grease, Web, Slow. Things that Target Reflex and Will Saves since those should be weaker saves.

Xenodarkelf
2012-01-05, 09:18 PM
The Ray spell is an awesome option tks :) Slow, Grease, Web, Glitterdust have been around for some great battlefield control too, but without using Heighten Spell sometimes the DC is not enough to pass the high base save the monsters get from lots of HD

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-05, 09:29 PM
Ray of Stupidity! Ray of Stupidity! Ray of Stupidity! Ray of Stupidity!!

jiriku
2012-01-05, 09:37 PM
Ray of enfeeblement is a decent choice too, as most of those monsters rely on a high Strength score to be effective in combat. It's reliable, since it targets touch AC and doesn't allow a save. It combos well with web too, since it penalizes the Strength checks made to move through the web. It's a good 1st-level option against monsters that would be likely to save against grease, or that are too large to be greatly inconvenienced by grease.

Enervation is a good choice for most of the same reasons, as well.

Xenodarkelf
2012-01-05, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah i had ray of enfeeblement at early levels, but then the prestige class had me ban one school of magic and i sent necromancy away, forgot to mention that sorry. So no enfeeblements, energy drains or enervations for me :smalltongue:

jiriku
2012-01-05, 09:44 PM
Incantatrix/incantatar doesn't cause you to lose access to your existing spells in the additional banned school. You still have the ability to cast your ray of enfeeblement.

Down the road, if your DM allows use of the retraining rules in the back of PH2 and you find yourself regretting lack of access to certain necromancy spells, don't hesitate to retrain your choice of extra banned school. It's quite advantageous to move it around if you find your banned schools are hurting you badly.