PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Death to the Undead! The Utimate Battle Commences

Machinekng
2012-01-05, 08:19 PM
After getting into an arguement with my brother over the realism of a zombie apocalypse, and then the potency of vampires, I made the ultimate challege.

My 10-man 10th level undead-slaying dream team against his vampire led zombie horde.

To be fair, I have restricted myself to builds based off popular undead-slaying characters from fiction.

Abraham van Helsing- (Dracula)
Gabriel van Helsing- (Van Helsing)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer- (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Ash Williams- (Evil Dead)
Simon Belmont- (Castlevania)
The Ghostbusters- (Ghostbusters)
Durkon Thundershield- (OotS)

Here are my questions:

1. What should the rules be for my brother's undead horde, specifically its make-up?

2. How should the battlefield be set up, and what should the rules of engagement be?

Also, for my personal strategy:

1. Which classes and PrCs should I asign to the characters? I already have this much figured out:
Abraham van Helsing- Archivist
Ash Williams- Gunlinger
The Ghostbusters- Artificers
Durkon Thundershield- Cleric
But I'm kinda lost for the rest of them.

2. Any reconmendations for other undead slayers would be much appreciated (I'm kinda leery about including all of the ghostbusters.)

EDIT: Pre-established rules

-No wizards/sorcerers. That means no Lichs for him.
-No leadership.

legomaster00156
2012-01-05, 08:36 PM
You should try to pick up the Oath against Undead (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-against-undeath) Paladin archetype. Artix von Kreiger (of the Battleon games) is an excellent character to base it off of. (http://video.battleon.com/artix-youtube.htm) He is a Human Paladin 10 (at least), no questions asked.

Personality: He is very enthusiastic about slaying undead. Very. He will frequently leap into action before he makes a plan, and before anyone else does, either. He is not stupid, however, and recognizes the efficiency of tactics such as ambushes. He is good-hearted, of course, or he would not have taken this role in the world.
Stats: STR -> CHA -> CON -> DEX -> INT -> WIS.
Necessary equipment: He wears Full Plate armor, enchanted with Ghost Touch to avoid the nasty attacks of the incorporeal. He wields a Longsword in two hands, enchanted with Undead Bane (and possibly Holy, too). He carries Holy Wasabi (translate as Holy Water) on his person at all times. He has two Potions of Cure X Wounds (whatever you can afford). He has a red cape, for which a Cloak of Charisma would likely be optimal. He often uses a non-masterwork Warhammer in an emergency. He does NOT wear a helm.
Necessary feats: Anything and everything that could help to defeat undead. He has displayed apparent uses of Power Attack and Cleave. He is quick to leap into action, so Improved Initiative may be appropriate. Dodge (the Pathfinder version!) and Mobility may also be good choices, given his ability to quickly move from one foe to the next. He does not appear to care much about his innate healing ability.
Prepared spells: Machinekng, meet Light Lance. Light Lance, meet Machinekng. You are going to be the best of friends. Artix will often use this spell as a weapon, and has not yet been shown using it as a light source. Other than that, focus on buffs that will either protect you from or aid you in defeating the undead.

Madara
2012-01-05, 08:39 PM
How about instead of zombies you use wrights, because they simulate the zombie apocalypse type more? For limits on his army...
1. He gets a total of 70HD worth of mindless undead and 40HD worth of intelligent undead to start.(You have a ten man team of 10th level? Madness)
2. You start on opposite ends of a city, you being allowed to have a base, and he is outside the walls.
3. He's allowed to attack the commoners and join them, but you can try to save them and have them protect your fortress.
4. I kinda think you need a neutral 3rd person to be GM...
5.The game ends if...
a. He has over 550HD worth of Undead.(His victory)
b. You kill all the intelligent undead he has.(Your victory)
c. Your group runs out of Resources.(His Victory)
d. You get bored...(Tie)
e. A Three Weeks of in-game time passes without your team dying.(Your victory)
f. Your Party dies.(His win)
I think that you need to have the city planned well. It needs to be fairly randomly generated, with random leveled NPCs If it was all low-level commoners, they'd be doomed.... Important for your party to try to capture resources as well as try to stop the enemy from increasing its numbers...
He must have an intelligent Undead give the Mindless orders, they can't just act on their own.

It'd be interesting to have the board submit some builds. It depends on your brother's op-level...We might need to have some people help build strong Undead for his team so the game is even if that happens..

Machinekng
2012-01-05, 08:53 PM
How about instead of zombies you use wrights, because they simulate the zombie apocalypse type more? For limits on his army...
1. He gets a total of 70HD worth of mindless undead and 40HD worth of intelligent undead to start.(You have a ten man team of 10th level? Madness)
2. You start on opposite ends of a city, you being allowed to have a base, and he is outside the walls.
3. He's allowed to attack the commoners and join them, but you can try to save them and have them protect your fortress.
4. I kinda think you need a neutral 3rd person to be GM...
5.The game ends if...
a. He has over 550HD worth of Undead.(His victory)
b. You kill all the intelligent undead he has.(Your victory)
c. Your group runs out of Resources.(His Victory)
d. You get bored...(Tie)
e. A Three Weeks of in-game time passes without your team dying.(Your victory)
f. Your Party dies.(His win)
I think that you need to have the city planned well. It needs to be fairly randomly generated, with random leveled NPCs If it was all low-level commoners, they'd be doomed.... Important for your party to try to capture resources as well as try to stop the enemy from increasing its numbers...
He must have an intelligent Undead give the Mindless orders, they can't just act on their own.

It'd be interesting to have the board submit some builds. It depends on your brother's op-level...We might need to have some people help build strong Undead for his team so the game is even if that happens..

I was thinking more of a Pelanor fields style battle (less complicated, equal or greater epic) with semi-random terrain, although a city-wide battle would be interesting.

We don't have a third party to arbitrate, so it may be bet if there are no NPCs.

Everything else is solid advice. I'll ask my brother if he wants his own strategy thread. He has less experience, and may need the help.

legomaster00156
2012-01-05, 09:01 PM
Alrighty, I've edited my post with the necessary information, along with a link to a video of Artix in action.

Machinekng
2012-01-05, 09:06 PM
Alrighty, I've edited my post with the necessary information, along with a link to a video of Artix in action.

Thanks. I'm not a big fan of battelon, but I'll consider it.

The only reason I even included the Ghostbusters was to deal with incorpreal undead, and I'm more than willing to drop 1-3 of them.

NOhara24
2012-01-06, 08:21 AM
If you can, there's a Turn Undead variant in Complete Divine that substitutes the convoltued PHB mechanic for 1d6/level actual damage. Not that "Turning Damage" crap.

Madara
2012-01-06, 06:55 PM
You should abuse Leadership to get a bunch of commoners with ranks in UMD, and have them spam wands.

Looks like you'll be low on manpower, you wouldn't survive an open combat against undead. He'd have too many moves compared to your team of ten. Especially if he uses skeleton archers..