PDA

View Full Version : Spellsword 3.5 help needed

zeboss
2012-01-05, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to make a 3.5 spellsword with a little more spell options than a straight up duskblade, well still retaining melee effectiveness.

Yitzi
2012-01-05, 09:14 PM
You want something specifically based off this (http://www.iourn.com/dnd/classes/prestigeclasses/spellsword.htm) class, or just some flavor idea? (And if the latter, what idea or you looking for?)

zeboss
2012-01-05, 10:13 PM
I am just trying to make the most effective spellsword I can, also just so you know by spellsword I don't mean the prestige class (although it could be used) I mainly just mean something that can effectively use weapons and cast spells

bobthe6th
2012-01-05, 10:48 PM
Dusk blade is about what you want... or warmage, as it gets full casting and 3/4 casting. Maybe toss a feature or two full BAB. Spell blade from CW and abjurant champion from CM (I think might be CW) on a warmage/fighter could work aswell.

But really how much do you want to brew'? A full 20 base class is a bit of work...

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-05, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=bobthe6th;12483103or warmage, as it gets full casting and 3/4 casting. [/QUOTE]

Warmage gets 1/2 BAB, and it doesn't have many spells that are good for a gish type.

Out of the books, I'd take a look at the Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer)from Unearthed Arcana. Full casting, d8 HD, medium BAB, a little bit of armor and a martial weapon.

If you want to improve the versatility of the Duskblade, I would take the original chassis, reduce the spells/day and spells known to Bard levels, and grant full access to the Sorcerer/Wizard list. Boom! It might be a little bit more powerful, in which case I would go ahead and drop the BAB to medium-- you'll still be quite effective after the buffs are in.

bobthe6th
2012-01-05, 11:10 PM
ah I forgot, as I have been using this warmage fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131346). admittedly it isn't weapon focused per say, but that is more the fact it is a full caster then ability.

Yitzi
2012-01-06, 12:23 AM
So you want a spellcasting weapon-user. Now for the big question: How do you want those two features to interact? Do you want the spellcasting to support the weapon use (effectively a Gish class)? Do you want the weapon use to support the spellcasting (similar to the Spellsword PrC's Channel ability)? Or do you just want them to be two totally different sets of options, serving simply to grant more options to the class?

Also, do you have any particular preferences regarding whether the weapon side should be melee, ranged, or good at both?

zeboss
2012-01-06, 10:23 PM
I'm thinking mainly just to have as many options for any scenario as possible, however i would want them to interact a little, such as channeling spells through my weapon. As for my weapon, it would probably just be melee, because spells should be able to handle the ranged battles.

zeboss
2012-01-08, 12:06 AM
Yeah so just to be clear i'm trying to make a versatile caster/warrior it shouldn't be completely optimized but it should be a little bit above average. There are no specific classes or races I am adamant about having so really anything that works is fine.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-08, 12:14 AM
Yeah so just to be clear i'm trying to make a versatile caster/warrior it shouldn't be completely optimized but it should be a little bit above average. There are no specific classes or races I am adamant about having so really anything that works is fine.

So, ah... do you want a homebrew solution, or a by-the-books answer?

Yitzi
2012-01-08, 08:20 AM
Perhaps the best approach is to take the Eldritch Knight and give him some sort of channeling ability similar to the Duskblade or Spellsword.

zeboss
2012-01-08, 11:35 AM
So, ah... do you want a homebrew solution, or a by-the-books answer?
The build should be using actual classes, but my DM doesn't give us any multiclass limitations, so really you could use anything.

bobthe6th
2012-01-08, 12:59 PM
I think then your seeking should go to the 3.5 section. you'll get more build ideas.

gkathellar
2012-01-08, 01:01 PM
The build should be using actual classes, but my DM doesn't give us any multiclass limitations, so really you could use anything.

Head over to the 3.5 subforum. Homebrew is for creating new stuff.

zeboss
2012-01-08, 01:20 PM
Alright, thanks for the tip