PDA

View Full Version : Looking for enchanted revolver ideas...

Yipyioh
2012-01-05, 09:44 PM
One of my friends is going to be starting a Shadowrun campaign soon with a setting more akin to the Dresden Files. My character is essentially a mystic adept Indiana Jones. His main weapons are going to be a pair of revolvers handed down through my family (the women of my mother's family were all Lara Crofts in their time) originally found my my great grandmother in WW2. She was a British spy who infiltrated the Eagle's Nest and found Hitler's secret stash of magical artifacts and such (yes I made this all up on the spot when I made a backstory) and snagged a brace of Webly break-top British revolvers before she left and they became family heirlooms. I want them to have some sort of special properties or enchantments but less generic than something like adding fire damage or making the bullets magical. I come to you looking for ideas! Any comments and ideas are welcome!

Das Platyvark
2012-01-05, 10:08 PM
Some sort of Russian Roulette deal?: ( You put in however many bullets you want: the less you use, the more powerful it'll be, but the greater the chance that you get an empty cylinder.)

Ravens_cry
2012-01-05, 10:11 PM
Through and through.
These bullets pack a punch, and will keep going and going. Be careful where you aim at though.
Disenchantment.
Sometimes a friend takes a right turn, treating foe as friend and friend as foe. The solution?
Shoot them with one of these babies, forged from cold iron and engraved with runes of dispelling.
You can apologize after.

J-H
2012-01-05, 11:20 PM
Steadiness - makes the revolver accurate at longer ranges under worse conditions than normal

Seeker bullets - Some bullets can be made to slightly track their targets in flight (extra accuracy, or higher critical chance)

Elemental damage bullets

Once per day, magically reloads itself

Concealment - Can be made to "disappear" so that the character appears weaponless

Magical Night Sights (no/reduced accuracy loss at night)

7-shot 6-shooter

Heirloom Call - Can be magically summoned to the character's hand from anywhere within eyesight. Handy if captured, caught unawares, etc.

bansidhe
2012-01-06, 08:02 AM
Each of the six chambers can hold one spell like or special round,all differant,must be fired in order and cannot be reloaded till all six are fired.

Also,no way is a WW2 British hero going too carry more than one revolver!,its unsporting and not the done thing,don'cha know!

Also thick about a Webley-Fosbery revolver,the first automatic revolver!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=webley+fosbery+revolver+image&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qrp&pwst=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NfEGT9OxAcWF8gO-h-S4Ag&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=578

The other hands for a good left hook or your umbrella or swaggerstick!

:)

Ravens_cry
2012-01-06, 08:57 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=webley+fosbery+revolver+image&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qrp&pwst=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NfEGT9OxAcWF8gO-h-S4Ag&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=578

The other hands for a good left hook or your umbrella or swaggerstick!

Are you sure you want a gun that is associated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz) with Sean Connery in an orange diaper?

bansidhe
2012-01-06, 11:27 AM
I know,I know! :).but in my younger days I did do target pistol shooting and was privileged too be lent one at a few sessions,shoots beautifully and believe me,looking at it from the business end it looks even more intimidating!,that bore looks huge!

Binks
2012-01-06, 11:33 AM
7-shot 6-shooter
Seconded. Get the GM to allow the ammo capacity to be higher than the visible ammo capacity, as the gun can magically reload itself somehow. Fun, useful, and hilarious as you get to be Dirty Harry all the time. "I can't remember if I fired 5 shots or 6, but luckily this 6 shooter holds 7 shots, so it doesn't matter."

You also get to pull plenty of 'I know something you don't' moments, which are a staple of Indiana Jones style adventuring. You fire off 6 shots then hold your gun up to the intelligent enemy, who remarks that you're out of ammo. Bang. 'Now I am' :P.

bansidhe
2012-01-06, 11:36 AM
That the Le-Mat revolver,6 rounds normal and a centre mini shotgun 16 guage round!:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2012-01-06, 11:39 AM
I know,I know! :).but in my younger days I did do target pistol shooting and was privileged too be lent one at a few sessions,shoots beautifully and believe me,looking at it from the business end it looks even more intimidating!,that bore looks huge!

Good point.
But.
Still.
Zardoz.
I remember reading a H. Beam Piper story where a Paratime traveller was found out by another because they reacted when a gun was pointed at them, despite impersonating someone from a timeline where they didn't exist natively.

Alex Star
2012-01-06, 12:38 PM
The classic movie gun enchantment should be.

6 Shot Revolver with a reducing penalty to hit after being reloaded.

(NOTE: Please adjust +/- values to suit your campaign power level)

6 Shots Left = -2 to hit
5 Shots Left = -1 to hit
4 - 2 Shots Left = Normal Chance to hit
1 Shot Left = +5 to hit

Special Effect: Dramatic Accuracy

If the gun fails to hit with it's last shot one more bullet magically appears in the chamber. This round gets an additional +5 to accuracy, is not subject to range penalties, and does an additional xdx Damage (x being a value consistent with the game world for bonus damage).

GungHo
2012-01-06, 02:26 PM
For any game:
Ability to "cook" rounds for special effects. Let's say gun usually does 1d6 damage (I know that's way low even in Shadowrun, but just using an example)

Big Bang - If one shot is 1d6, you can expend all six for 5/6d6
Scattergun - AoE cone for 3 shots @ 2d6
Penetration - Ignore armor soak modifiers for 2 shots @ 1d6
Knockback - Push enemy back a number of squares for 2 shots @ 1d6

More in tune with Shadowrun:
Gun's possessed by machine spirits. Piss 'em off and it will malfunction, howl when you try to sneak, or do other things to undermine you. Placate them and they'll grant you success dice, disrupt enemy riggers, and otherwise assist you. Pleasing the spirits could be as simple as keeping the gun clean and using it proudly to a little more ridiculous in keeping it in a plushy holster to something crazy like having to kill someone with it every day.

You can get a Street Shaman to exorcise the gun, but then it becomes a regular old gun... until some wandering demon notices that there's still a conduit open... and then all sorts of hell breaks loose.

Anderlith
2012-01-06, 04:44 PM
Well in Shadowrun an enchanted weapon can't pass an enchantment on to it's projectiles.
Here's some idea's that could work
--The guns turn into blades. Something the size of a dirk or gladius.
--The guns turn into some innocuous item, a pair of pens or coins or matching cuff links shaped like tiny guns
--The guns turn into a pair of finely crafted clockwork toys that can function autonomously. I.e. A toy soldier & a dog
--The guns make no noise
--The guns can't be touched by supernatural creatures, including metahumans. This also makes them do more damage to supernatural creatures when you pistol whip them. They are perhaps made from a holy artifact like the Spear of Longinus
--The guns weigh nothing & can float in the air on command. This can be pretty awesome with some creativity
--The guns will accept any form of bullet ammunition. You don't have to worry about caliber. This probably will not let you extend the ammo capacity unless your GM lets you.
--The guns are inhabited my a pair of gruff gunmen's spirits. They may or may not act like Statler & Waldorf, or have other enchantments
--The guns when wielded as a pair create a ward of protection around the wielder.

stack
2012-01-06, 04:46 PM
There was a comic book with a number of evil, enchanted revolvers. One struck with the force of a cannon, one caused flame to leap from the ground, one could summon dirt-golems of everyone killed by it, one granted immortality, etc. Can't recall the name.

Nepenthe
2012-01-06, 10:16 PM
My favorite is to enchant the handle of gun with "Merciful" or the equivalent (extra damage when used non-lethally), then sneak around pistol-whipping everyone.

Or have electricity arc between the gun and a fired bullet. It's even more fun with a delay.

*bang*
"Ha! You missed."
*bzzap*
"Oh, did I?"

Traab
2012-01-06, 11:46 PM
Conjured bullets. They only stay solid in your gun or your ammo pouch, (whatever you want to call it) Otherwise, you have a 10 count before they vanish and reappear in your pouch. Never run out of ammo, but you cant just keep firing forever as the bullets just reappear in your pouch, not your gun. Nice way to not leave behind evidence since all the cops will see is a dead body with holes in it, but no traces of what made them.

Xuc Xac
2012-01-06, 11:53 PM
The gun does not need to be reloaded until someone asks something like "How many shots do you have left?" When that happens, the answer is always "One." Luckily, the last bullet hardly ever misses.

turkishproverb
2012-01-06, 11:55 PM
Element-linked bullets could work

Ice-Shatters target
Fire- Like a super-incindiary round
Air: Extra range
Earth: penetration

deuxhero
2012-01-07, 12:41 AM
Well in Shadowrun an enchanted weapon can't pass an enchantment on to it's projectiles.
--The guns make no noise

Problem is a lot of that is the bullet's noise.

--The guns can't be touched by supernatural creatures, including metahumans. This also makes them do more damage to supernatural creatures when you pistol whip them. They are perhaps made from a holy artifact like the Spear of Longinus

No no no.

Excalibur!

Anderlith
2012-01-07, 06:46 AM
Problem is a lot of that is the bullet's noise.

No no no.

Excalibur!

I see your point, but the way I see it, the gun is muffled & no sound is created inside of it. Yes the bullet's powder is ignited, but if it is within the gun then the sound is suppressed. as well any clicking from internal parts

Cirrylius
2012-01-07, 08:49 AM
Excalibur!
GRRRR beat me to it. I was thinking of Roland's pistols.

How about this? Excalibur penetrated the stone... X-caliber penetrates hard cover.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-07, 08:58 AM
I see your point, but the way I see it, the gun is muffled & no sound is created inside of it. Yes the bullet's powder is ignited, but if it is within the gun then the sound is suppressed. as well any clicking from internal parts
Only would work with subsonic rounds however. Otherwise you get a sonic boom from the bullet.

Hazzardevil
2012-01-07, 09:39 AM
How about the bullets don't use regular caliber bullets.
They use bullets made from Excalibur after it was thrown into the lake when shot come flying back into the gun one round later. If someone is in between you and the bullets, they take damage as if shot again.