PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Heresy, of the Dark variety

jbr712
2012-01-06, 05:54 AM
Apologies if this is a little long, I don't have the best judgement for posting things like this. A group of us got together today for our usual L5R gaming day. Two of our players couldn't make it so we decided to try something else. Our GM brought out his Dark Heresy books and we made a party of 3: an Imperial Psyker, an Imperial Guardsman, and a Scum. Character creation brought the first oddity of the game: I played the Void Born Psyker and had the highest Strength, Ballistic Skill and Fellowship in the group. Having the highest Willpower was more important but less surprising given the background.

Alright, so character generation done we move on to the adventure. We land on this barren mining planet which was having some... issues. The local populace had recently revolted and were promptly crushed by the iron boot of the Imperial Guard - silly revolutionaries. The Scum hears something and wonders off while the Guardsman and I go to meet with the Commissar who will explain what the Hell we're doing on this God forsaken planet. The Scum apparently heard laughter coming from a tent, he went to investigate and found a corporal in a straitjacket tied to a wooden post ranting about eyes and tentacles - perfectly normal things when dealing with Chaos, but not what we necessarily the sort of thing we expected to be encountering at the moment.

Fast forward a bit, we meet with the Commissar who explains the situation: a number of insurgents went into the mine after the Imperial Guard beat the tar out of them, 12 squads of guardsmen went in after them, when they returned shortly thereafter, many casualties had been suffered and the mines were blocked off. So we're supposed to go into the mines and cleanse it. Not being one to shirk our duties *cough* we head to the quartermaster to pick up some spelunking gear and head on our merry way.

Inside the cave we quickly come across a fissure which we must cross, climbing is the easiest way to do so and we attempt it. The scum and I both fail in spectacular fashion, but are saved by a lucky strength test by the guardsman. After the fissure, we enter what I will refer to as the "March of Failure" if this situation ever gets brought up again. There are corpses in the mine, lots of them. Enough that suddenly opening a door and seeing mounds of corpses requires us to roll against fear. Naturally, two of the three of us fail. The guardsman and the scum fail in spectacular fashion - failing by at least 60 each - and are so panicked that they bolt down the corridor and are compelled to keep running once they find more corpses and fail yet another roll against fear.

The March of Failure is continued by the scum when he finds a large glowing crystal. This glowing crystal did not seem to like us, as when the scum found it sticking out of the ground it began to "pulsate angrily" and sent a daemon at the scum. Big surprise, things go wrong in the mine and a daemon is part of it, if not the entire problem. Prior to seeing the daemon, both the guardsman and the scum had accrued some insanity, they were around 4 and 6 respectively. By the end of dealing with the daemon the scum had reached 10 and the guardsman was at 6. The psyker is now the most sane member of the party at 2 insanity points which he got during character creation.

First round after summoning, I run up to a point where I can see the daemon. The daemon knocks our cripplingly terrified scum to the ground, and the guardsman begins to panic (having seen him and failed his roll against fear).

Second round: daemon attacks the guardsman after he tried to shoot the daemon. The scum is still paralyzed and will be for a little while after this round. I level my laspistol at him and fire my hot shot round. Hit him in the arm, roll damage and get to use Righteous Fury. Because of multiple Furies and the hot shot round, a psyker one-shot a daemon with a laspistol.

We collect a number of artifacts from the area and deliver them to our leader, we tell the Commissar to shut down the mine, thus crippling the sector's economy, and one of our party is starting to go insane.

Some details were glossed over, but that was mostly time spent trying to get the other two members of the team to calm down with varying levels of success. That is the gist of my first experience with the game. You will note one thing: the psyker never became afraid during the entire encounter nor did he gain any insanity points. The psyker has 44 willpower and more balls than a driving range.

Is this the sort of thing I should expect down the line? If so, then I'll be only too happy to continue - though it would be nice if my teammates would develop a little spine :smalltongue: I'd like to hear a few of your stories, frustrating and awesome would both be nice for getting better acquainted with what I should expect during my time serving the Emperor.

king.com
2012-01-06, 10:10 AM
Sounds like you played the free adventure available for Dark Heresy. Its small and a little too simple (standard issue Dark Heresy is more about the investigation thing rather than a point and shoot game) but its not to bad at demonstrating the elements at work.

That demon you fought though was not a full demon, it was a partially materalised lesser demon, thats a frame of reference, a full blown demon is unstoppable for regular humans to deal with.

As to whats coming? Dark Heresy is a game of Action, Investigation and Horror. You play poorly trained, ignorant, poorly funded and equiped agents of Imperial Inquisition. You are tasked with finding, stopping and removing some of the dangerous creatures in the galaxy from infecting the civilian population and acting against the God Emperor of Mankind. This is a universe where battleharded, genetically engineered super soldiers are regularly cut down by superior opponents.

Theres a reason why most Dark Heresy characters immediately wet themselves at being who exist based upon their connection to raw, mind-altering terror. It means as players you must scratch and claw your way at every tiny glimmer of light in this otherwise oppressing, grim dark universe. I won't have it any other way and it sounds like you enjoyed yourself aswell.

I'll post a story or two later.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-06, 10:50 AM
Sounds like a perfectly average day in the life of an acolyte. You done good.:smallbiggrin: