PDA

View Full Version : Help with a character [3.5e]

Deodarthethird
2012-01-06, 09:26 AM
Okay im completely new to d&d and am in the process of creating my first character.

i rolled 18,18,13,10,9,8.

now im thinking at the moment of an aasimar beguiler or a spellscale dragon sorcerer but im not entirely certain that would work. So far our part has a half-elf ranger, a half-elf rouge,a dwarf barbarian, a dwarf warrior and an air elemental bard (nelphling???) and a healer that hasn't quite decided on what they are (almost as bad as me :smallbiggrin: ). Any Advice or sugestions on where to put the stats? or for that matter which of the two is possiably a better choice?

Rorrik
2012-01-06, 10:34 AM
The 3.5e subforum would probably be of more help to you, but I'd go with the sorc with high charisma for starters. You want to have a reasonable constitution for hp considerations. Otherwise, decide what skills you're going to favor and choose higher rolls for the stats they depend on.

Manateee
2012-01-06, 02:22 PM
Seeing the two Half-Elfs in your party, I'd hesitate to too go too minmaxy. It sounds like you want to go with an Arcane Caster. I'd lean toward a Beguiler to stay more in line with the party power level, and to give yourself some room to run around with the Rogue/Ranger/Bard as a stealthy party element. Generally, it sounds like this party would take best to a limited-list caster.

You might want to watch out for the rouge though. Everyone knows they're overpowdered.

On a side note, I really want to aggregate all the rolls players announce they've gotten in chargen. I have a feeling they'd break probability theory in half. :p

Randomguy
2012-01-06, 04:43 PM
I'd go for sorcerer. It seems in line for party balance (better than wizard, anyway). There's not much point in going beguiler if there's already a rogue and a bard in the party.

Rorrik's right about stats: 18 in charisma, 18 in constitution, 13 in dexterity, 10 in intelligence, 9 in wisdom and 8 in strength.

If you want more skill points, either be human or swap dexterity and intelligence.

Heatwizard
2012-01-06, 05:23 PM
Seeing the two Half-Elfs in your party, I'd hesitate to too go too minmaxy. It sounds like you want to go with an Arcane Caster. I'd lean toward a Beguiler to stay more in line with the party power level, and to give yourself some room to run around with the Rogue/Ranger/Bard as a stealthy party element. Generally, it sounds like this party would take best to a limited-list caster.

You might want to watch out for the rouge though. Everyone knows they're overpowdered.

On a side note, I really want to aggregate all the rolls players announce they've gotten in chargen. I have a feeling they'd break probability theory in half. :p

I'm sure there's a batch of people inflicted with terrible-roll-itis like I am, to balance it all out.

I have suffered for your probability

Binks
2012-01-06, 05:35 PM
I have suffered for your probability

:P. I have yet to roll a single 18 on any PbP character. Mostly use point-buy anyways but just about every time I've rolled for stats they've been terrible (personal favorite, an array (5d6b3 if I remember) with the highest number being 15. Low was a 10, so it wasn't terrible, but it was certainly below average).

I'll second (or third, or whatever) beguiler. It's can benefit from 2 good stats (int/cha) for spellcasting/skills/diplomacy (98% sure it's an int based caster). It shouldn't outshine anyone else, but you'll certainly get to have your own moments. Most importantly of all is that it's a fun class to play, who hasn't wanted to be the guy confusing all the enemies (to death)?

18 int, 18 cha, 13 dex, 10 con, 9 wis, 8 str would work pretty well. You can focus on skills the rogue/bard haven't focused on (if your bard is diplomacy focused and your rogue stealth then get those to a lesser extent and focus on bluff/sense motive, for instance) to limit overlap. If you're really worried about overlap (in a low-op group it's not as big of a deal as a high-op one, so it shouldn't be a problem) then sorc is probably best, or a wizard if you're either A) Staying low level or B) Trying not to abuse it.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-01-06, 07:41 PM
What is the role you envision?

You could go for beguiler and team up with the ranger and rogue (or go charisma and team up with the bard), you could go for the sorcerer buffer/debuffer in the background, or...? Your scores are funny in a way. I would put the 13 in Con. Most people will agree that a con of lower than 12 is a hazard and a con of higher than 14 is a waste of a good score (on a non-melee unit, but even then). Just upgrade it to 14 at lvl 4 or 8.

With your scores, your beguiler/sorcerer idea and the party make-up, I would be inclined to go wizard/arcane trickster, with Dex and Int as high scores. This way you could effectively combine both roles I described above. Your caster level gets a dent but the party is not that optimized that it will hurt, you will still be the most powerfull buffer/debuffer and at the same time you get the skill points and class skills suitable to a sneak. Not to mention a decent AC and chance to hit them buggers with your sneak attack orbs :).

Deodarthethird
2012-01-11, 08:43 AM
What is the role you envision?

You could go for beguiler and team up with the ranger and rogue (or go charisma and team up with the bard), you could go for the sorcerer buffer/debuffer in the background, or...? Your scores are funny in a way. I would put the 13 in Con. Most people will agree that a con of lower than 12 is a hazard and a con of higher than 14 is a waste of a good score (on a non-melee unit, but even then). Just upgrade it to 14 at lvl 4 or 8.

With your scores, your beguiler/sorcerer idea and the party make-up, I would be inclined to go wizard/arcane trickster, with Dex and Int as high scores. This way you could effectively combine both roles I described above. Your caster level gets a dent but the party is not that optimized that it will hurt, you will still be the most powerfull buffer/debuffer and at the same time you get the skill points and class skills suitable to a sneak. Not to mention a decent AC and chance to hit them buggers with your sneak attack orbs :).

well the role i envision is more the magical force behind the party, I personaly am leaning towards the sorcerer in this respect, and all the dragon stuff is just cool so i think i will be taking that if i do, now with that in mind and starting of as a spellscale i was thinking 20CHA, 16CON, 13DEX, 10INT 9STR and 8WIS does this seem okay? (includes racial modifiers)

Ancient Mage
2012-01-11, 10:52 AM
If you want to be more in line of power-level with the rest of the party, go with sorcerer. If you want to be the power-house of the party, go for wizard.

Getting that 20 in charisma is a massive help with the sorcerer's power. The loss of hit points (18 con to 16 con) is bad, but not too terrible. Because of your low dexterity, consider some abjurations to protect yourself, and make sure to diversify your spell list as much as you can.

-Ancient Mage