PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Swordsage Help

Xynphos
2012-01-06, 12:16 PM
Ok so here's the deal:

War campaign

Homebrew accepted, and encouraged

While looking through ToB, I came across this class, and by all means it seems OP, which is ok because my DM wants us to be so he can throw big stuff at us.

Anything from any of the supplements is ok as well.

An suggestions on which spells to take, as manuvers? as stances?

bigstipidfighte
2012-01-06, 12:36 PM
I expect looking at a sorceror guide would help you quite a bit. Sure there'll be a few differences in tactics, but that's probably what AS is closest to, and most of the same spells that are good for sorcerors will be good for them.

The biggest general riules to remember when picking spells are; is the spell useful in a variety of situations? Will it remain useful as you level?

Douglas
2012-01-06, 01:56 PM
Well, first you need to actually flesh out the rules for the class. What's in the book is rather vague and incomplete, and isn't really usable without heavy DM involvement or homebrew.

I have one suggestion for more complete Arcane Swordsage rules linked in my sig.

Manateee
2012-01-06, 02:06 PM
How does your Arcane Swordsage work?

I don't mean to ask for a reference to the vague blurb in the ToB, I mean to ask for the details on the class you're homebrewing:
Do its spell persist, or are they adapted to ToB constructs, like 1-round Strikes/Boosts/Counters or buffs in Stance slots?
Similarly, are things like Touch Spells adapted to Strikes, or are they treated as normal?
Are there prerequisites for learning spells or schools?
Does it get metamagic?
Where do its DCs come from?

Xynphos
2012-01-06, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the tips, and Douglas, your homebrew guide is helpful.

I would also like to mention that I got my DM to approve all schools of magic.

I am thinking about taking enlarge person as a stance.

gkathellar
2012-01-06, 02:25 PM
I strongly recommend douglas' version, as it actually functions, and doesn't tear the game in half by blinking too fast.

Xynphos
2012-01-06, 03:38 PM
So according to douglas' homebrew I could take dimention door as a 3rd lvl maneuver and never have to pay for a horse again?

Re'ozul
2012-01-07, 02:53 PM
Actually no, if I read the requirements for the different forms correctly, dimension door does not fit in any of them.

I think you could take Mirror Image as a lvl 3 Stance though and never be alone again.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-07, 04:30 PM
Actually no, if I read the requirements for the different forms correctly, dimension door does not fit in any of them.

I think you could take Mirror Image as a lvl 3 Stance though and never be alone again.

I would take Displacement as a 3rd level stance. Or Fly.

Xynphos
2012-01-07, 06:56 PM
Yes, Mirror Image does seem like a good idea, as well as fly and displacement, the problem is I have to choose 2 lvl 1 stances by lvl 2 if i go straight arcane swordsage.

absolmorph
2012-01-07, 07:19 PM
Yes, Mirror Image does seem like a good idea, as well as fly and displacement, the problem is I have to choose 2 lvl 1 stances by lvl 2 if i go straight arcane swordsage.
Mage Armor, Disguise Self, Prestidigitation, Comprehend Languages.
I've only gone through the SRD, but that's what I've found so far for level 1 stances.