PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Being Ryu (Breath of Fire)?

Argoti
2012-01-06, 12:27 PM
So after a recent session in which my DM took us to a valley with Woren as one of the two main races (the other being Air Genasi) I've had an itch to make a BoF style character as my next one should my current character die and... well, while Rei would be awesome I think Ryu would be more fun. So, any ideas? Thinking maybe Binder or Dragonfire Adept?

Argoti
2012-01-06, 02:56 PM
If it helps, we have access to any printed material, and, pending review, of course, some homebrew (Our newest member is a Grappling Fighter/Luchador (http://dndwiki.com/wiki/Luchador_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29)). We're level 9 (well, most of the party, My character {Dark Whisper Gnome Beguiler} and our Artificer {Warforged Artificer [think the DM gave them an LA+1]} have not caught up after LA buyoff YET). He does things a bit different than standard (My HiPS just came online at level 8) but he is pretty reasonable.

Also looking more toward BoF3 Ryu, as that's the game I'm most familiar with (Watched/read a couple LPs of and played a small part of BoF4 and, attempted to play Dragon Quarter)

tyckspoon
2012-01-06, 04:17 PM
Hmm. Ryu's baseline form is relatively easy to do; you want a competent physical fighter with acceptable ability to heal. Crusader or a divine-based gish are the obvious routes. Binder and Incarnum could also work, but then, you can do dang near anything in those two subsystems. D&D being what it is, anything that provides you a decent healing ability is almost certainly also going to drag in a bunch of other abilities, so it's largely a choice of deciding which powers you want to match with the core abilities (if you really want to do BoF 3, that at least can be easily justified; they're the other things you learned from observing monsters/were taught by your Master.)

Dragon transforms are largely outside the capacity of current D&D rules, IMO, especially in the type and variety used in BoF 3. Accurate and effective representation of this would require homebrew, and probably a class/racial class devoted to the Dragon Clan. (Rather, I should say there are some mechanics that might give you something similar - the 'power armor' exploit use of Astral Construct comes to mind, if allowed - but it's somewhat difficult to do both that and baseline Ryu in the same build.)

Argoti
2012-01-06, 04:36 PM
Probably will have a base of Crusader, as healing is a thing we are sorely lacking (GM rolled up a Staff of Fire but changed it to Healing since our cleric stormed off {After not so gradually going from LG to CN} and our Paladin doesn't play often and not for the whole session when she does) and figured homebrew might be the best fit for the dragon aspect but want to stick as much as I can to published, Any good homebrew that might represent already posted? This forum probably preferred, think my DM reads these forums (uses a lot of terminology I see on here)

*Edit*
Would definitely have to clear with DM but maybe a Race with Dragon Wildshape as an ability work?

deuxhero
2012-01-06, 11:39 PM
Wildshape Ranger with some feat or PrC for dragon forms.

Argoti
2012-01-07, 12:16 AM
Yeah there is the feat for it, 15 ranks Know:Geog though... but if nothing else that does work. Doesn't need to be true dragon form even (why I was thinking DFA in first post) but would be nice

deuxhero
2012-01-07, 12:51 AM
I think Frozen (AKA Cyro-hydra) Wildshape can be gotten earlier.

Edit: Hydra is huge and the feat requires it be in your size limits.

RagnaroksChosen
2012-01-07, 09:22 AM
I know it may not be optimal but a sorcerer with the draconic bloodline and then the draconic breath thing is alot of fun.

not ryu esc but definetly fire breathing esc,.