PDA

View Full Version : Request: I Will Use All My Power to Kill You! That is How I Will Prove I Exist!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 04:43 PM
The Sandshaper

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss145/Hilde92/gaara.jpg

"Gaara of the Sand. A guy so deadly he makes red hair and pale skin look sexy as hell."

Prerequisites: To become a sandshaper, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Feats: Earth Sense, Sandskimmer
Skills: Survival 8 ranks

HD: d8
Class Skills: The sandshaper's class skills are Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local Wasteland Region), Listen, Profession, Spot, and Survival.
Skill Points: 4+Int mod per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Sand Control, Shield of Sand

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Uncanny Pimp Slap

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Desert Coffin

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Armor of Sand, Tremorsense

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Sand Shuriken

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2|Improved Uncanny Pimp Slap

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|Desert Funeral

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+2|Desert Tsunami

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+3|Form of the Shukaku

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+3|Great Desert Funeral
[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A sandshaper is proficient with all sand-based natural weapons he gains from this class.

Sand Control (Ex): A sandshaper is able to shift, swirl and shape sand easily. He gains the granted power of the Sand Domain, except his ability is usable at-will, but once he attempts to use it (whether he succeeded or not) he must wait 5 rounds before using it again. A sandshaper may also transform some sand into a powerful whip. He must use all 8 cubic feet of sand to do this. The whip is under the sandshaper's control, with 5' reach. When not attacking, it towers over him, ready to strike. The whip moves with the sandshaper, and occupies the same square as him.

Additionally, a sandshaper may attack with any sand that he is standing on or shaping. Treat this as a normal attack routine with a weapon, including iteratives for high BAB, except that the sandshaper uses his Charisma modifier to hit the creature instead of his Strength modifier. A normal sandswipe deals 1d6 points of slashing damage, with bonus damage for the sandshaper's Charisma modifier.

A sandshaper's whip deals 1d12 points of slashing or bludgeoning damage, plus 1 1/2 times his Charisma modifier, and the sandshaper can also use it to Bull Rush or Trip his opponents, using his Charisma modifier in place of his Strength modifier. A sandshaper who Bull Rushes with his sand whip may not move with the creature he Bull Rushes. If he fails his Trip attempt with a sand whip, his opponent does not get to try and Trip him. The whip is treated as a Large creature for Size purposes. A sandshaper's whip receives an enhancement bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and Trip and Bull Rush checks equal to 1/2 the sandshaper's class level, minimum 0. Starting at 2nd level, the whip is also treated as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Shield of Sand (Ex): The sandshaper is constantly protected by the earth, whether he wants it or not. As long as the sandshaper is standing on sand, he receives a deflection bonus to his AC equal to his class level.

Uncanny Pimp Slap (Ex): The earth will let the sandshaper fight his one-on-one battles how he pleases, but if someone tries to gang up on him, they best think again. Mother Earth doesn't let someone bully her babies. Uh uh. Starting at 2nd level, any creature who attempts to flank the sandshaper (that is, move into a position where it would grant and gain a flanking bonus on attack rolls made against the sandshaper) while the sandshaper is standing on sand provokes an attack of opportunity from the sandshaper, even if the sandshaper is flat-footed (this class feature overrides the rule that a character may not take attacks of opportunity while flat-footed). He must make such an attack with his sand (either a swipe or the whip) and if he hits on his attack with a whip, he automatically initiates a Bull Rush or Trip as a free action without requiring a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity.

Desert Coffin (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a sandshaper may attempt to grapple a character using sand. To do this, he must be within 30 feet of the creature he wants to grapple, and both he and his target must be standing firmly on sand. The sandshaper makes a ranged touch attack using his Charisma modifier (he is using the sand under the creature's feet, so he does not take a -4 penalty for firing into melee) in place of his Strength modifier. If he hits, he can initiate a grapple check with the enemy creature. The sandshaper uses his Charisma modifier in place of his Strength modifier for grapple checks, and his sand is treated as Huge for Size purposes.

If the sandshaper succeeds his grapple check, the enemy creature is grappled and immobilized. The sandshaper is not considered grappled, and may fight other creatures and retain his Dexterity modifier to his AC. However, each round that he does not maintain the grapple or make grapple checks, he must make a Concentration check opposed by the grappled creature's grapple or Escape Artist check as a swift action. Failure means the creature breaks free.

As a move action, the sandshaper may lift a creature he has grappled into the air. Doing so requires a grapple check with a -5 penalty, but if he succeeds, the creature floats in the air, trapped in sand. The sandshaper can lift it up to 20 feet off the air with each attempt, and can keep lifting it higher and higher if he likes. The maximum height a sandshaper can lift a creature in this way is 100 feet. Lifting a creature confers no particular benefit, but if the creature breaks free of the grapple it will take falling damage unless it can fly.

A creature grappled by sand cannot breathe and begins to suffocate if it normally requires air. A creature grappled by sand cannot speak and has 100% failure chance with all spells or abilities that have a verbal component.

The sandshaper also gains a constrict attack with his sand grapple. His constrict attack deals 1d8 points of damage plus 1 1/2 times his Charisma modifier.

Armor of Sand (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a sandshaper can mold some sand onto his skin and let it soften blows against him. This requires at least 4 cubic feet of sand, but after it is put into place, it lasts for 24 hours. While a sandshaper is covered in his Armor of Sand, he gains DR X/- where X is equal to his class level. The Armor of Sand feature does not require use of the Sand Control feature, nor does it count against the limit of sand the sandshaper may control at once with that feature.

Tremorsense (Ex): Also starting at 4th level, a sandshaper gains tremorsense out to 30' while standing on sand.

Sand Shuriken (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, a sandshaper may form sand into sand projectiles that allow him to attack at range. A sand shuriken deals 1d4 points of slashing damage, plus the sandshaper's Charisma modifier, and requires a ranged attack roll to hit, using the sandshaper's Charisma modifier in place of his Dexterity modifier. A sandshaper may form sand shuriken as a free action, allowing for multiple attacks in a single round. A sand shuriken has a range of 60 feet.

A sandshaper may take a penalty on his attack rolls in order to carefully aim his shuriken for a creature's eyes. To do this, he fires a single shuriken as a standard action with a -4 penalty to hit. If he hits, the creature must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 sandshaper's character level+his Charisma modifier) or be blinded for one round.

Improved Uncanny Pimp Slap (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, the sandshaper's Uncanny Pimp Slap ability no longer requires an attack of opportunity, allowing it to be used multiple times per round. Additionally, the sandshaper now has the option of attempting to grapple a creature he hits with it, as per the Desert Coffin ability, instead of Tripping or Bull Rushing them.

Desert Funeral (Ex): At 7th level, a sandshaper may cause his Desert Coffin to implode, crushing his opponent into dust with pure force. To do this, the opponent must be floating at least 40 feet off the ground. As a full-round action, the sandshaper may cause the sand to squeeze so tightly it just bursts in and then outward, dealing 12d6 points of bludgeoning damage to the creature being grappled.

The grapple attempt ends immediately, and the creature begins to fall if it cannot fly.

Desert Tsunami (Ex): At 8th level, a sandshaper may, as a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, cause all enemies within 60 feet who are touching the ground (if they are standing on sand) to make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the sandshaper's character level+his Charisma modifier) or fall prone, and then be engulfed by sand. The sand pins them, and they are grappled automatically (no attempt to resist, which means no freedom of movement as well)

A creature may then begin to attempt to escape grapple on its next turn (automatically succeeding if it is under the effect of freedom of movement). This ability is otherwise identical to Desert Coffin (no speaking or verbal components, no breathing, constrict attack), except the sandshaper may not lift any creature into the air. A sandshaper who has used Desert Tsunami may attempt to constrict all creatures he has pinned with a single grapple check.

Form of the Shukaku (Ex): Starting at 9th level, a sandshaper may use his Control Sand ability to cover himself in sand until he resembles a monster. This uses up all 8 cubic feet of sand the sandshaper is allowed to control. In this form, the sandshaper gets a pair of natural claw attacks (1d6 plus Charisma if Medium), and a secondary natural tail sweep (1d12+1/2 Charisma, if Medium). He receives a +4 bonus to his Charisma score, and uses his Charisma modifier in place of his Strength modifier for all attack rolls made with his natural weapons.

This form lasts for 3 rounds + 1 round per point of (newly improved) Charisma modifier. After this, the sandshaper is fatigued for 1 hour and cannot use any of his class features which require sand control of any kind (including attacking with sand and his Sand Shuriken, as well as Desert Coffin/Funeral/Tsunami) until his fatigued condition ends.

Great Desert Funeral (Ex): Starting at 10th level, a sandshaper may unleash the desert's fury on all his enemies at once. This ability functions like Desert Funeral, except it only works on a creature pinned by Desert Tsunami, and it simultaneously crushes all creatures currently pinned by Desert Tsunami. It requires a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, and after it ends, creatures are no longer pinned.

Zale
2012-01-06, 04:47 PM
You put Sandskimmer on class skills.

Looks awesome, by the way.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 04:49 PM
You put Sandskimmer on class skills.

Looks awesome, by the way.

Whoops. Fixed. Thanks.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-06, 04:54 PM
...Must play...must play...must play. :smallsmile:

Seriously, this is...wow. ...A desert campaign would be perfect for this guy, but even without, he's something I must play...and soon. Here's hoping my next DM approves of homebrew.

5/5 Seraphi...as if there was ever any doubt. :)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 04:56 PM
...Must play...must play...must play. :smallsmile:

Seriously, this is...wow. ...A desert campaign would be perfect for this guy, but even without, he's something I must play...and soon. Here's hoping my next DM approves of homebrew.

5/5 Seraphi...as if there was ever any doubt. :)

Why thank you! I take requests very seriously after all. :smallsmile:

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-06, 05:39 PM
Why thank you! I take requests very seriously after all. :smallsmile:

:smallsmile: I can see that!

TravelLog
2012-01-06, 08:39 PM
Sand Control: Love it. And not getting tripped back is beautiful.

Shield of Sand: Whoa. This can become nasty pretty fast. 10 levels plus a decent Charisma score easily translates to a +15 deflection. Might be good to tone it down a little, but YMMV.

Uncanny Pimp Slap: Of course, of course...WHAT!? Waay out of left field on this one. It's a good ability but the name threw me a bit...

Desert Coffin: Nice. The only thing that gets me is "his sand is treated as Huge for Size purposes" paired with "If the sandshaper succeeds his grapple check, the enemy creature is grappled and immobilized. The sandshaper is not considered grappled, and may fight other creatures and retain his Dexterity modifier to his AC."

That's fan-freaking-tastic. Melee does need nice things though, so I'll leave it to you to figure if it's a bit much. Probably fine all things considered, since the creature gets a chance each round and the Sand Shaper needs to devote a swift to it.

I do feel you need a certain amounts of sand to lift it though. You should qualify how much sand is needed to lift it how high.

"A creature grappled by sand cannot breathe and begins to suffocate if it normally requires air. A creature grappled by sand cannot speak and has 100% failure chance with all spells or abilities that have a verbal component."

This is too good. Considering the Sand is treated as huge, and wizards will probably have bad saves against grapples, this becomes OHKO very quickly. Especially since Desert Coffin comes at 8th level.

Maybe make Desert Coffin multiple class features?

Armor of Sand: Defense is nice.

Tremorsense: Expected and appreciated.

Sand Shuriken: Should be a swift action and not a free action. Or at least an immediate.

Improved Uncanny Pimp Slap: Silly name, powerful ability.

Desert Funeral: Nice. You need to specify the action required though.

Desert Tsunami: Really really good. Especially since they also now have 100% spell failure. Particularly if this is paired with something to boost grapple checks. *Shiver* I would have figured this was the capstone.

But wait!

Form of Shukaku: Cool, and arguably worse than Desert Funeral, but still nice though.

Grand Desert Funeral: Cool.

Nice job! This'd be fun in a desert campaign...:smallamused:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 08:50 PM
Uncanny Pimp Slap: Of course, of course...WHAT!? Waay out of left field on this one. It's a good ability but the name threw me a bit...

Have you seen Gaara fight? Someone gets close to him and they get smacked away by a giant sand hand.

Desert Coffin:

"A creature grappled by sand cannot breathe and begins to suffocate if it normally requires air. A creature grappled by sand cannot speak and has 100% failure chance with all spells or abilities that have a verbal component."

This is too good. Considering the Sand is treated as huge, and wizards will probably have bad saves against grapples, this becomes OHKO very quickly. Especially since Desert Coffin comes at 8th level.

Yes, because lord knows, wizards having a terrible chasis should justify the rest of the world balancing their abilities around that. Look, wizards are bad in melee, or close range in general. If they walk into close range they deserve what they get.

Sand Shuriken: Should be a swift action and not a free action. Or at least an immediate.

It's a free action to form one, not to throw it. Otherwise, you would only be able to throw one per round (similar to the feat Rapid Reload for light crossbows)

Desert Funeral: Nice. You need to specify the action required though.

Already did

Desert Funeral (Ex): At 7th level, a sandshaper may cause his Desert Coffin to implode, crushing his opponent into dust with pure force. To do this, the opponent must be floating at least 40 feet off the ground. As a full-round action, the sandshaper may cause the sand to squeeze so tightly it just bursts in and then outward, dealing 12d6 points of bludgeoning damage to the creature being grappled.

The grapple attempt ends immediately, and the creature begins to fall if it cannot fly.

Emphasis mine.

TravelLog
2012-01-06, 08:52 PM
Have you seen Gaara fight? Someone gets close to him and they get smacked away by a giant sand hand.

I have not. I'll check out YouTube...*Comes back* You were not kidding.

And I did say melee needed nice things.

Wow seriously though, he's nuts.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 09:08 PM
I have not. I'll check out YouTube...*Comes back* You were not kidding.

And I did say melee needed nice things.

Wow seriously though, he's nuts.

Indeed. There are few words in the English language to accurately describe it. "Uncanny Pimp Slap" definitely works, though.

Pyromancer999
2012-01-06, 11:43 PM
Hmmm....seems pretty excellent, although people might mistake it for the PrC in Sandstorm.

Rapidghoul
2012-01-06, 11:53 PM
I like it a lot. I might actually modify the sub-boss in my campaign right now (the party is in a desert looking for a magical macguffin) to incorporate some of this stuff.

Minor thing: Desert Coffin and Great Desert Funeral don't have the class levels listed in the descriptions.

Great class though :smallbiggrin:

zegram 33
2012-01-07, 02:36 PM
how do you do this?
this is brilliant!

"form of the Shukaku" looks pretty weak compared to the abilities that come before, especially since it effectivley puts him out of the fight for an hour once it ends.
cant think of any non op way to rectify that though...maybe make him huge, to increase melee damage and also let him grapple things much easier?

desert funeral also looks pretty good, but having to succeed on 2 grapple checks at a -5 seems like quite a tall order, but I could be wrong there.

also: i know its the done thing to base powers off of charisma, but for Gaara it.....really doesnt suit. since probably a good portion of his combat would be via sand powers, I can imagine him having a pretty huge charisma, and having a gaara-class as party face is...strange to me. thats more "feel" than an actual issue with the class though.

other than that, very cool!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-07, 02:40 PM
how do you do this?
this is brilliant!

"form of the Shukaku" looks pretty weak compared to the abilities that come before, especially since it effectivley puts him out of the fight for an hour once it ends.
cant think of any non op way to rectify that though...maybe make him huge, to increase melee damage and also let him grapple things much easier?

Eh, Form of the Shukaku is just for a sandshaper who wants to do melee.

desert funeral also looks pretty good, but having to succeed on 2 grapple checks at a -5 seems like quite a tall order, but I could be wrong there.

Indeed. For some creatures, you'll just want to go ahead and constrict every round, but for a Medium sized creature with only 3/4 BAB, you'll probably beat his grapple check easily, even with a -5 penalty, since you get a +8 size bonus.

also: i know its the done thing to base powers off of charisma, but for Gaara it.....really doesnt suit. since probably a good portion of his combat would be via sand powers, I can imagine him having a pretty huge charisma, and having a gaara-class as party face is...strange to me. thats more "feel" than an actual issue with the class though.

other than that, very cool!

Charisma is Force of Personality. Gaara's personality is very forceful. Intimidate is based off Charisma, which Gaara has down-pat.

It's certainly not about Intelligence. Gaara wasn't an idiot, but he was no Neji or Shikamaru. And it's not Wisdom either, no, Wisdom is for divine powers and commanding the elements through your own thoughts is not divine.

zegram 33
2012-01-07, 04:52 PM
a) i forgot about the size bonus
b) ahh, i forgot intimidate!

i officially retract all complaints
:smallbiggrin:

TelteWaywalker
2012-01-08, 06:10 PM
I could so see this working with someone with your The Pyromaniac PRC to make glass objects for sale. Or it can be twisted to be snow-based not sand-based. Either way it is an awesome class.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 06:16 PM
I could so see this working with someone with your The Pyromaniac PRC to make glass objects for sale. Or it can be twisted to be snow-based not sand-based. Either way it is an awesome class.

Indeed. It would be simple to adapt it to snow-based instead. And thank you.

Alex Star
2012-01-09, 01:36 PM
So first off lets start by classifying sand and it's properties..

I propose the scientific definition.

Geologists define sand as rock particles that range in diameter from 0.0625 to 2 millimeters. An individual such particle is known as a sand grain. Smaller particles, from 0.0625 down to 0.004 millimeters are defined as silt. Larger particles range from 2 to 64 millimeters. In the United States, sand is categorized according to its size. Very fine sand is 1/16 to 1/8 mm in diameter, fine sand is 1/8 to 1/4 mm, medium sand is 1/4 to 1/2 mm, course sand is 1/2 to 1 mm in diameter, and very course sand is 2mm to 64mm in diameter.

Furthermore what VOLUME is required for it to be defined as "Sand". Is a small hourglass (such as with use in a board game) enough? A bucket? a single granule? Can different types of sand be mixed together and retain the same properties within the construct?

The second bit of clarification needed before this class can be played is does man made sand count?

I propose that only NATURALLY created sand (ie: Sand created using natural methods. this does not mean that the natural environment can not be simulated, accellerated, or even created magically, only that the sand can-not be made of some type of synthetic material.)

Third, what are the properties of sand that cause it to be altered?

I see that the Sandshaper has Concentration as a class skill which made perfect sense to me, up until the point where it wasn't used in a single one of the abilities. What about trying to control the sand during a strong wind, what about if it gets wet, or assuming the possibility of a desert campaign (as many have mentioned) what about inside of a sandstorm?

What kind of penalties and checks might be required in these situations? I'm fairly sure if I walked up to Gaara while he was focusing on creating his big Desert Funeral which provokes AoO's and kicked him square in the nads it might have an effect on his ability to produce the effect.

Finally, and now we finally get onto the glaring weakness of the class.

So yeah a Wizard can kill pretty much anything and this guy is not as powerful as a wizard so we won't worry about even comparing those two. But my single class fighter just got some DR... and so far as I can tell you have no way of bypassing it. You use a natural weapon that I can't even imagine how you could plan on having enchanted that can't be made of a different material than it currently is (are you going to carry around a jar of Cold Iron Sand+1?) Is it even possible to put a +1 Enchantment on a Desert? This isn't a small problem, it's a class breaking weakness. Lets even say that your DM allows you to enchant some jug of sand with a +1. You can't carry 8 Cubic Feet of Sand, dry sand weighs about 100lbs PER CUBIC FOOT!

I propose the following basic solution.

Extradimensional Storage space is what you need right? So you open up your bag of holding (Might want to consider making this a Level 1 class feature where you get this special item (like a with those classes that have signature weapons, where if it gets destroyed you gotta recreate it and whatnot).

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-09, 01:47 PM
First of all, a single-classed fighter wouldn't get into this class until 14th level, which means he wouldn't get DR until he was level 18. (Due to the Survival prerequisites and the way cross-class skills work)

Secondly, if you get kicked in the nads or the sand gets wet or there's a sandstorm, you lose control of your sand. You don't get Concentration checks to maintain it. That's it. You have to have perfect control, and if you don't, you fail. Concentration is one of the most broken skills in the game because it takes all the weaknesses of a spellcaster and lets them ignore them for a pitifully low check. That's not what I'm doing here. If you have any kind of issues with your sand, you fail. That's all that matters.

As for enchanting sand, first of all, you never enchant natural weapons with any kind of other material anyway. Barring kensai, there is no way to do it. Secondly, the sand whip already gets a +1 enhancement bonus per class level without you needing to do anything about it. So at level 10, your sand whip is already +5, for free.

And you're right about not being able to carry 8 cubic feet of sand...unless you get a portable hole or a few bags of holding. That's why this class is really only good for a desert campaign.

userpay
2012-01-10, 03:42 AM
Well there is that endless jar of sand from Sandstorm which, personally, I'd consider counts as standing on sand at least for certain abilities. Otherwise pour sand from it into an endless bag as I'm willing to bet pouring sand out of the bag will get quicker results/more sand than actually triggering the jar with one action.

gkathellar
2012-01-10, 05:36 AM
And you're right about not being able to carry 8 cubic feet of sand...unless you get a portable hole or a few bags of holding. That's why this class is really only good for a desert campaign.

Can't Gaara make his own sand, though? Why not include an ability like that?

Daftendirekt
2012-01-10, 11:03 AM
I know Gaara's supposed to be nearly impossible to hit, but CHA mod + class level seems ridiculously high. With just 20 CHA and all 10 levels in this class, that's a +15 deflection bonus to AC.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 11:49 AM
I know Gaara's supposed to be nearly impossible to hit, but CHA mod + class level seems ridiculously high. With just 20 CHA and all 10 levels in this class, that's a +15 deflection bonus to AC.

True. I'll drop it down to Class Level.

Can't Gaara make his own sand, though? Why not include an ability like that?

Yeah, he can do that, but I think that would make the class just a bit too strong. It'd be like "You only do well on your Favored Terrain. Here, have an ability that turns any terrain into your favored terrain!" you know?

wiimanclassic
2012-01-10, 06:03 PM
Have a crap load of tiny balls of sand as densely packed as possible in alot of places?

Story Time
2012-01-10, 06:39 PM

What about...say...a giant gourd with some kind of weightlessness added to it? :smallbiggrin:

Interesting class to read. Thanks for posting it.

userpay
2012-01-11, 05:03 PM
As I said before there's a jar or something in Sandstorm that has endless sand. Maybe add in a blurb specific to it in relation to its potential interaction with this class?

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-14, 08:54 PM
The name is already done, see Sandstorm (TM) (although the awesomeness of Gaara combined with the might of your hombrew overwhelms the poor little spellcaster class). also, wears Earth Sense, I can't find it.

Edit: Curse you, now whenever I read Naruto or watch it all Gaara says is Pimp Slap! Again and again!

Edit 2: Nevermind, found Earth Sense in RoS

Deepbluediver
2012-01-14, 09:02 PM
Uncanny Pimp Slap (Ex): The earth will let the sandshaper fight his one-on-one battles how he pleases, but if someone tries to gang up on him, they best think again. Mother Earth doesn't let someone bully her babies. Uh uh.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh god...can't breathe....so...much...laughing....

Improved Uncanny Pimp Slap (Ex):
*snerk*
/dies

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2012-01-14, 10:33 PM
Nice. I don't follow Naruto, but I think I might like playing one of these.

eftexar
2012-01-14, 11:18 PM
The hit points and a high fortitude save seem a little out of place for the style of class. Being that this class relies on defending itself and immobilizing opponents, they just seem a little out of place. Instead of giving him d8 hit points why not give him d6s (or d4s if you want to be character accurate). He is already difficult to hit, dr 10/- is pretty good, he can push people away as attacks of opportunity, and can stop people from moving.

I'm still worried about him getting struck by spells though, so changing shield of sand to a mechanic other than AC might be a good idea. Maybe an opposed attack roll. This would also allow him to block spells (rolling against caster level for example). As of now this is a glaring weakness for a relatively defense based class.

Edit > AC is a bit of problem as it is either too strong or too weak (but that's another issue in itself). Anyways great class. Gaara has always been cool.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 11:25 PM
The hit points and a high fortitude save seem a little out of place for the style of class. Being that this class relies on defending itself and immobilizing opponents, they just seem a little out of place. Instead of giving him d8 hit points why not give him d6s (or d4s if you want to be character accurate). He is already difficult to hit, dr 10/- is pretty good, he can push people away as attacks of opportunity, and can stop people from moving.

The d6 hit dice does not exist in my homebrew unless the character has spells. Ditto for the d4. As for the good Fortitude save, it's an Earth-based class. Earth just has the feeling of strong and Constitution written all over it.

I'm still worried about him getting struck by spells though, so changing shield of sand to a mechanic other than AC might be a good idea. Maybe an opposed attack roll. This would also allow him to block spells (rolling against caster level for example). As of now this is a glaring weakness for a relatively defense based class.

An opposed attack roll against a fireball or a call lightning? Doesn't make sense. Spells are spells, people die from spells. That's just how it is.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-24, 01:10 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh god...can't breathe....so...much...laughing....

*snerk*
/dies

Thank you, thank you. I know, I'm hilarious. :smallbiggrin: