PDA

View Full Version : Rub me the Right Way (Like a Genie in a Bottle)

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-06, 07:46 PM
So after having completed my first Pathfinder Session, I must say I quite enjoyed it. That being said, I had some interesting experiences. Now through some weird time-space doo-hicky, I wound up looking at various Genies; Janni, Djinn, Shaitan, Efreeti and Marid. Now I began to really like these and my character at the end of the campaign got ghosted (Most Literally) and so I'd like to try a different character. Introduce the Suli (Suli-Jann) race. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/monsters-as-pcs#TOC-Suli Basically it's a Genie-Esque Humanoid, But I didn't want to stop there. Now there's two classes that special in Genies the Daivrat (Genie Based Arcane Caster, similar to an old caster found in a Dragon Magazine the name of which escapes me) and the Genie Binder (An Arcane or Divine Genie Summoner)

Both can be found Here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/daivrat
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/genie-binder

Now the question is which is better. Both seem to be able to cast fairly well and both can summon creatures decently. The end question is which is better. The Daivrat can be entered at Level 8, and the Genie Binder at Lv 12. And if playing an Arcane Caster you could go Wizard 7/Daivrat 4/Genie Binder 5/ Daivrat 4 and it get a cool Mini-Genie as a Familiar. However this bears little need for mention as Arcane Classes and I do not see eye to eye. So a Cleric 11 or Oracle 12 for entry.

Alright, so this train of thought ends in a great question.
Is there a way to get a good Genie themed class without having to wait until later levels (Current best thought being an Ancestor Oracle going Genie Binder) Also the Genie Binder has a benefit to deal with each of the elemental Genies, (Djinn-Air, Shaitan-Earth, Efreeti-Fire and Marid-Water) but what about the Janni? They represent all of them (and are technically the weakest, but there should be some effect, all I can think of is applying the seals to them as if they weren't genies.

TLDR:
What is the best Genie Themed build in Pathfinder (Preferably Non-Arcane)?
What effect would a Genie Binder have on a Janni?

daemonaetea
2012-01-06, 08:45 PM
I know you said Pathfinder, but just in case your group allows some 3.5 stuff as well...

The Sha'ir is a base class caster that specifically gets its spells through negotiations with genies. According to Wikipedia it was originally printed in Dragon magazine, and later included in the Dragon Compendium. Normally I wouldn't bring up 3.5 stuff since you didn't ask for it, but this seems like exactly what you're looking for.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-06, 09:06 PM
I know you said Pathfinder, but just in case your group allows some 3.5 stuff as well...

The Sha'ir is a base class caster that specifically gets its spells through negotiations with genies. According to Wikipedia it was originally printed in Dragon magazine, and later included in the Dragon Compendium. Normally I wouldn't bring up 3.5 stuff since you didn't ask for it, but this seems like exactly what you're looking for.

That's the Daivrat now. They turned it into Pathfinder, checken der link.

Metahuman1
2012-01-06, 10:06 PM
I'm inclined to Say Wizard or Cleric, MAYBE Oracle.

BTW: If you have the feats and aren't a Wizard, try talking to the GM about porting in the Obtain and Improved Familiar feats to spend after your into your PrC(s) so that you can still get that mini Genie Familiar.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-06, 10:30 PM
I'm inclined to Say Wizard or Cleric, MAYBE Oracle.

Already listed in the long form.

BTW: If you have the feats and aren't a Wizard, try talking to the GM about porting in the Obtain and Improved Familiar feats to spend after your into your PrC(s) so that you can still get that mini Genie Familiar.

It's not so much for the mini-familiar as the ability to have a Genie Entourage.

ArcGygas
2012-01-06, 11:23 PM
Well, in case you missed them, there are a couple of Bloodlines for Sorcerer that come from the Genies (catch them here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/sorcerer.html)).

And, if you take the Eldritch Heritage (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/ultimateMagicFeats.html) feat tree, you could say you are descended from all genies (save Janni, since they don't have a Bloodline).

If you go Sorc, I'd consider PrCing into Genie Binder, but not into Daivrat; due to the Sorcerer's bizarre progression, you'll be a full spell level behind a Wizard of the same level (and who isn't going into the PrC).

But, that's if Arcane is your shtick. It's not for you, so let's see what else we got, eh?

If you want Cleric, and fluff supported by mechanics, say you worship an ideology rather than a deity. That could be Genies. Maybe work with your GM to make a "Summoning" domain and do a Theologian Archetype (Ultimate Magic).

The Theologian Archetype, in case you can't find it, only gets one domain, but your caster level is considered 2 higher for purposes of casting Domain spells.

Failing making a homebrew domain, you can take the Rune Domain, which gives you Lesser Planar Binding as a 5th level domain spell, and if you are the Theologian Archetype, you can (at level 10) apply your "Domain Secret" to it to apply Extend Spell, for free. And if you're absolutely in love with the Daivrat PrC, try to convince your GM to let the PrC's +Arcane Caster apply to Divine.

For Druid, find an Archetype like Storm Druid, and just fluff it as a friend to Djinni. Not a whole lot there, at least that I can find.

And for Oracle? Well, it's more or less in a boat made from the Sorcerer and Druid's boats; Find an Archetype or Mystery and refluff it as you see fit.