PDA

View Full Version : Have a silly campaign idea, suggestions welcome

danzibr
2012-01-06, 09:59 PM
So I was talking to a few people in my D&D group (my wife and brother) and we somehow came up with a silly campaign. All the campaigns we've done in the past have been serious, so it might be a nice change.

Basic plot: the players are buddies of various races which are typically thought of us undesirables, like orcs and goblins. They chill in a (cursed!) cave and are always hungry. One day they decide to get them some good eatin', local cow. They kill the cows and are happy and full. Later, several farmers (each with their trade weapon, the BBEG having a boom stick) hunt them down and kill them. A short while later the party raises as undead (they can choose their template). The campaign becomes revenge.

Everyone would know this walking in, though they'd still have to play through it. They'd all be given a 16 for Con at character creation, and if they choose a template which would otherwise make them mindless, they would not become mindless.

To add to the silliness, every time they kill a farmer, they power up like in DBZ or something (maybe the farmers stole some body parts?). For those with crappy progression like mummy, ghoul/ghast, vampire spawn, et cetera, they'll get 3 levels (so to speak), while someone who is just a skeleton would get 1 for their class and maybe a free template/some stat boosts.

I haven't thought about this too much, but I think it'd make for a good fun campaign. Any suggestions?

HunterOfJello
2012-01-07, 05:59 AM
Are you interested in using races + free templates that then use a normal class progression or were you going to use the progressions from Savage Species? It sounds like Savage Species could be your friend for this.

Also, undead don't have con scores.

The idea sounds interesting and possibly fun. Especially if the farmers had requested aid from a local city that has finally shown up by then. That way there could be more substantial enemies to fight than level 6 commoners.

danzibr
2012-01-07, 08:20 AM
Are you interested in using races + free templates that then use a normal class progression or were you going to use the progressions from Savage Species? It sounds like Savage Species could be your friend for this.

Also, undead don't have con scores.

The idea sounds interesting and possibly fun. Especially if the farmers had requested aid from a local city that has finally shown up by then. That way there could be more substantial enemies to fight than level 6 commoners.
It would be up to the character. If someone's playing as a wizard I imagine they'd just pick up the skeleton template and keep progressing as a wizard, but others might want to do the level progression thing (I was looking at Libris Mortis, though it's kind of lacking). Due to the level progression thing sucking, they'd probably get 2-3 levels at once, but 3 levels as an undead whatever is probably better than 1 class level (well, depends, I guess), so I'd likely throw on a template.

Yeah, they were going to be given 16 Con so that they don't put any points in then feel cheated when they lose it.

Also, I like the help from a local city. Adds a bit more to it. For the farmers, I was not going to have them be commoners, kind of add to the silliness. Each farmer would have his or her signature weapon, the weakest with a hoe or something, second strongest with a pitchfork, strongest with the boom stick. There will be a somewhat natural order to kill them in, but not entirely lock them down. The farmers will be like bosses of dungeons. Once you get past their minions (animals and farmhands and whatnot), you have to face off against the big guy/gal himself/herself.

Riverdance
2012-01-11, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a cool idea.
If you wanted to try a new game with the potential to get incredibly funny/ridiculous you could try Old School Hack (google it). It's very rules light and easy to learn, and is very well suited for less serious games. The only tricky bit would be statting the undead.