PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Low Level "Helpless" Spells

Thurbane
2012-01-06, 11:38 PM
I'm trying to think of some low level (1st-3rd) spells which can render an opponent helpless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless); off the top of my head, Sleep, Color Spray and Hold Person fit the bill.

What others (core and non-core alike) are there?

Obviously, damaging spells that drop opponent below 0hp, and ability drain/damage to zero fit the bill, but I'm looking for other methods.

Cheers - T

deuxhero
2012-01-06, 11:41 PM
If you want to be technical, -1 to -9 without the right feats or abilities is helpless, so antyhing that does damage.

Thurbane
2012-01-06, 11:43 PM
If you want to be technical, -1 to -9 without the right feats or abilities is helpless, so antyhing that does damage.
You know, I almost put that exact disclaimer in my post, but I didn't bother...

Ditto for ability damage/drain/penalty (other than Con) that brings an ability to 0.

SirFredgar
2012-01-06, 11:50 PM
You know, I almost put that exact disclaimer in my post, but I didn't bother...

Ditto for ability damage/drain/penalty (other than Con) that brings an ability to 0.

Shivering Touch is a 3rd level spell from Frostburn that does 3d6 dex damage, which can completely debilitate most low to mid dex opponents in one shot. It has a little brother that does 1d6 at level one. It is also generally considered broken.

Edit: It looks like after re-reading your last post you were not looking for spells like this, my bad.

Edit 2: There is also Wrack, out of Complete devine. Renders subject Blind/Helpless for Rd/Lvl, and shaken for 3d10 minutes after. Cleric 3, Wizard/Sorc 4. There... now I contributed.

Ernir
2012-01-07, 12:17 AM
Deep Slumber is, of course, the level 3 Sleep.

Clutch of Orcus (SpC) is kind of like Hold Person, but requires concentration, and deals a bit of damage.

Ray of Stupidity is instacoma against low-int critters. Like all animals, and some magical beasts.

deuxhero
2012-01-07, 12:30 AM
A grapple makes someone helpless going by the helpless description (I'd get lost in the grapple rules if I checked them) so summoning spells can.

Silva Stormrage
2012-01-07, 02:27 AM
Ghoul Touch Paralyzes an opponent for a couple rounds.

Worira
2012-01-07, 03:31 AM
Charm Person, ask them to take a nap or similar request.
Sepia Snake Sigil, although it's not the best battlefield spell and costs 500gp to cast.
Suggestion, again with the napping.
Halt Undead, although you won't be getting a coup de grace off on them.

For druids, there's:
Charm Animal is technically a different spell, so for completion's sake that.
Hold Animal, again with the technically being a different spell.

sonofzeal
2012-01-07, 04:57 AM
Heartache (Book of Vile Darkness pg97 - helpless 1 round)

1st level spell.

You're welcome. ;)

Andreaz
2012-01-07, 08:14 AM
A grapple makes someone helpless going by the helpless description (I'd get lost in the grapple rules if I checked them) so summoning spells can.

No. Grappling alone never makes an opponent helpless, nor does pinning.

deuxhero
2012-01-07, 11:10 AM
When "held, bound" is listed as what makes someone helpless.

Got to love the grappling rules.

Andreaz
2012-01-07, 12:40 PM
It doesn't have its own trope for nothing. The immobilized part of helpless goes a step further than a pin...

KicktheCAN
2012-01-07, 01:00 PM
Ghoul Glyph is a (small) AoE spell that paralyzes with no save.

Thurbane
2012-01-07, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies...some spells I didn't know about and/or forgotten about. :smallbiggrin:

Devmaar
2012-01-07, 08:11 PM
Bladesong (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010126a) is a second level spell that dazes

Bladeweave (SpC) is similar but not as good.

Thurbane
2012-01-07, 08:13 PM
Cool, but I don't believe dazed = helpless, since the dazed condition still allows the victim to defend itself.

Still, I'd not seen that first spell before - nifty little gem for a gish! :smallbiggrin:

sreservoir
2012-01-07, 08:19 PM
Cool, but I don't believe dazed = helpless, since the dazed condition still allows the victim to defend itself.

Still, I'd not seen that first spell before - nifty little gem for a gish! :smallbiggrin:

pretty damn close to helpless though, seeing as they can't take any actions. for 1 round/level, daze as free action, no save.

Devmaar
2012-01-07, 08:34 PM

Oops, good point:smallredface:

dextercorvia
2012-01-07, 08:37 PM
Awaken Sin, SpC, Cleric3/Pal2, Nonlethal damage, stun, possible wisdom damage

Electric Loop, SpC, Sor/Wiz 2, Damage and stun

Great Thunderclap, SpC, Sor/Wiz 3, Stun, deafen, prone

Ice Lance, SpC, S/W 3 Druid 3, Damage, Stun

Stun/=Helpless, but denied dex to AC, drop everything, and no actions.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-07, 08:39 PM
Stun/=Helpless, but denied dex to AC, drop everything, and no actions.

And an additional -2 penalty to AC on top of that.

dextercorvia
2012-01-07, 10:18 PM
If you specifically need helpless, like for CdG, etc:

Ghoul Gesture, Hunger 3, RTA Fort or Paralyze, Sicken if pass.

Pupeteer, Bard3, Can force Suicidal action, if they pass the will save, they are helpless.

Edit: Bands of Steel, S/W 3, Ref or Immobilized.