PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hustlin Crusader needs crunchy help!

XiaoTie
2012-01-07, 12:53 AM
Hello playground!

I come to you with a simple request, but first, some context:

Come next Thursday I'll be playing in a new game; great concept, great setting, great players. It all sounds good, doesn't it? That's because it is.

Here is the catch: it is a level 15 game and the players know what they are doing with them numbers that plague my weak opti-fu mind. What I need is, basically, pretty much all the crunchy bits that will fit inside the fluffy exterior that I have in mind. The only numbers I have that are set in stone are the skills.

Now, let's make it even more clear, so you guys can help me :D :

The character is a human (goliath numbers, free LA, human looks) warrior that wields a Duom (1d8 medium damage, reach weapon that can attack people adjacent to you with only a -1 penalty IF you have already used the normal reach during this turn) and a shield (it needs to be animated, since the weapon is two-handed).

What I want: "Tankyness", as in, hold the lines as the shooty people open several new holes in the enemies. It has to hold up to what I imagine is a good level of optimization.

CRUNCHY DETAILS:
<>Level 15, Crusader (minus the religion part due to fluffiness)
<>32 point buy
<>Goliath race (Not set in stone (badumpsh), per se, but I'd like to keep the "Huge dude" with "Huge weapon" thing. We can hybrid two LA 0 races, or get a free LA +1 race, or a LA +1 template on top of a race)*
<>Duom and Shield (Yes, I know spiked chain is good, but I wanted some kind of reach weapon that looks like a spear. But if you have a better exotic weapon that is also a spear and easily attacks adjacent enemies, all the better)
<>Preferably some heavy armor
<>Good AC (the other "tank" of the party has 44 AC and a crapton of HP)

So, hum, I think that is pretty much it. Let me know if you need some more info.

Edit: "You get a discount of 1 LA, so you can take an LA3 race and end up only having LA2" DM. What I said above still stands, but he also said this. So. Yeah. XD

Edit 2: Almost forgot

Allowed Sources

All 1st party WotC books and web materials

The following is available only on a case-by-case basis:

Setting-specific material (Forgotten Realms, Eberron)
3.0 and "3.25" materials that do not have official updates to 3.5
Magazine materials unless reprinted in Dragon Compendium or other book
3rd party and homebrew material

Urpriest
2012-01-07, 01:52 AM
As a Goliath, you may want to exploit Knockback rather than (or in addition to) tripping. It's from Races of Stone, and it lets you knock people back as a Bull Rush when you hit them. You may also want a dip in Dungeoncrasher Fighter, both to gain extra damage from this tactic and to offset the weird stance progression Crusaders have.