PDA

View Full Version : Cantrip slot level nine spells: crafting for cheap

Eisenfavl
2012-01-07, 01:48 AM
Apparently meaningless due to errata. How embarrassing. Still gives a nine level metamagic lee-way, but pointless other than that (which can be easily gained in other ways)
The existance of the Arcane Thesis feat means that you can reduce the level of spells being cast, by applying level 0 metamagic feats. How?

cut due to possible copyright issues. Was quote from D&D tools

Let's say you apply a metamagic such as, oh, Invisible Spell.

As above

So, you can reduce the spells slot by one. Let's assume you have infinite feats, such as by being a level (insert however many feats you need including all item creation feats *3) sorcerer, and a first level wizard. Let's see what feats you can use:

Cooperative Spell
Sanctum Spell (note that to apply the feat you don't need to be IN your sanctum, just to get the standard bonus)
Invisible Spell

Then it get's a bit.... weird.
Apply
Snowcasting to your spell. That give it the cold descriptor, so you can then go:
Lord of the Uttercold
Non-lethal Substitution (cold)
Energy Affinity (electricity)
Energy Substitution (Acid)

We're still out by two levels. That's when epic comes in:
Automatic Still Spell and Automatic Silent Spell.
Specifically, this phrase:

cut due to copyright potentials
Essentially they make still and silent spells of the correct levels 0 level adjustment metamagics. You can get both feats multiple times to eventually include 9th level spells in the list which is effected in such a manner.
Apply Still Spell and Silent Spell.

Now, this makes a level nine spell use a cantrip slot. But how do we preserve caster level as 1?
Remember when I said that it was wizard 1? He knows all level nine spells or below on sorcerer list as a sorcerer, using Spell Knowledge from the errata'd Epic Level Handbook. This means he can (and he does) have arcane thesis for all spells in existence on his list. Using Arcane Disciple for the deity Pun-Pun (yes this require pun-pun to exist. If you can't do Pun-Pun, see if you can find an overdeity like Ao, who almost certainly has all domains), he now has all domain spells on his wizard list. By reading scrolls, he can acquire all sorc/wizard spells on his wizard list. Arcane Thesis and his metamagic feats carry over between classes. He uses his metamagic line to cast spells as cantrips, excluding however many feats he needs to to get them castable as cantrips.

We have achieved caster level 1 and spell level 0.

We still don't have any non-domain divine spells. But that we can easily fix that. Do all this AGAIN for divine, replacing sorcerer with cleric and wizard with archivist. Archivist copies down all divine spells. Cleric gains arcane thesis for all of them. Caster level 1 and Spell Level 0 divine spells.

Now, using all the item creation feats he picked up as a sorcerer, he begins construction.

Magic Items and Metamagic Spells

With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.

Unless someone can correct me, metamagic'd spells placed into items use the spell level of the slot they would otherwise occupy. In this case, cantrip level.

It gets better, and by which I mean it becomes practical to do this as a PC.
Be a first level artificer. Or, any level.
After all, item creation tells us:

While item creation costs are handled in detail below, note that normally the two primary factors are the caster level of the creator and the level of the spell or spells put into the item. A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell.
With the minimum being proven to be 1, all spells in items are minimum caster level 1.
Now to avoid fair use infringement, I won't quote the ability in question, but at first level all artificers (found in Ebberron campaign setting) can emulate spells they don't have for the use of making items. Spells like:
Invisible, Sanctum, ..(other feats).. Energy Subsitution ShapeChange
Which, ironically, will still be effectively level 9 for purposes of DC's.

This means that under item creation rules I can get and BUY a ring of continual Shapechange for, what, 1000gp? The artificer can likely make one with his starting gold if properly optimised.

Discuss, point out flaws, and help me perfect this technique.

NNescio
2012-01-07, 01:53 AM
Shut down by the PHB II errata.

Page 74 – Arcane Thesis [Omission]
Add the following text to the end of the “Benefit”
section: “A spell cannot be reduced to below its
original level with the use of this feat.”

Also, I don't think you should link to D&Dtools like that -- those are copyrighted content not covered by the OGL.

Eisenfavl
2012-01-07, 02:08 AM
That is intensely embarrassing. I had even checked the errata, and missed it the first time.
Technically arcane thesis doesn't prevent the process, just the end result, so using incantatrix, easy metamagic and practical metamagic it's still possible to apply every applicable metamagic in game to all spells on items for free.

The above technique is essential for this, particularly in the case of overcoming persistant and heightened spells.