PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the things you can smell

Keegan__D
2012-01-07, 02:38 AM
What are some ways (+1/+0 LA) to get scent? I know of the more terrible ones, but haven't ever done a huge deal of research into the subject, so I don't know the good ways to have it.
More interested in a +1 race or template than a feat. I know, I'm weird.

For reference, I'm trying to throw it on a level 3 druid with the two UA variants (lose animal companion, wild shape, spontaneous casting, and armor/shield prof. for rage, fast movement, fast movement again, track, favored enemy, and monk AC).

Curmudgeon
2012-01-07, 03:03 AM
The Half-Minotaur inherited template (Dragon # 313, pages 94-95) gives Scent; +1 LA for a pretty powerful package.

A Cleric with the Bestial domain (Book of Vile Darkness, page 80) gains Scent as their granted power.

The Scaled Horror prestige class (Savage Species, pages 83-84) has this class ability:
Keen Scent (Ex): A scaled horror can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius, provided both the scaled horror and the creature are in the same body of water, and can detect blood in the water at a range of up to 1 mile.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-07, 03:07 AM
1 level of Warblade gets you that Tiger Claw stance that gives you scent.

Curmudgeon: Those three options are disturbingly powerful ways to get a much less powerful ability. I like that. It's like building a nuclear power plant to power a toaster. :smallamused:

Worira
2012-01-07, 03:09 AM
Any possible problems that could arise from that are insignificant compared to what will happen if I don't get my toast.

Keegan__D
2012-01-07, 03:14 AM
I forgot the half minotaur gave scent. Or anything besides ****loads of Str, size, and the title of minotaur. BoVD is banned, and the PrC is way out of reach.
I have yet to implement ToB. How long does a stance last?

Curmudgeon
2012-01-07, 03:23 AM
A stance lasts until you decide to end it, or you pick a different stance.

dgnslyr
2012-01-07, 03:23 AM
A stance's bonus lasts as long as you're in the stance, which is as long as you'd like. You can change stances with a swift action to gain the bonus of a different stance while losing your current bonus, but I think a warblade 1 only gets one stance, so that's not an issue. Once in a stance, it takes no further actions to stay in it.

EDIT: Swordsausage'd

Ernir
2012-01-07, 03:26 AM
I have yet to implement ToB. How long does a stance last?

Until you switch to another stance, become helpless, or will it to end. Some stances have specific ending conditions, but Hunter's Sense (the scent stance) doesn't.

Basically it lasts as long as you want to.

Keegan__D
2012-01-07, 03:32 AM
Wow. I've looked at a few stances. That seems a tad op.
Anyways, DM approved half minotaur, so I'll have an 8-foot dwarf.
Keep with the suggestions, and I'll edit them into the first post. We'll form a list that can be used by future playgrounders. I'll do research through monster manuals.

Ernir
2012-01-07, 03:42 AM
Wow. I've looked at a few stances. That seems a tad op.

Nah, it isn't. It's just more versatile than what melee gets in the other books.

But have fun with your half-minotaur. :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2012-01-07, 03:53 AM
Anyways, DM approved half minotaur, so I'll have an 8-foot dwarf.
Not only will you have Scent, but you're pretty good for dungeon orientation as well. Half-Minotaurs have Minotaur Cunning, which lets them tell which way is North. And Dwarves can intuit depth.

Keegan__D
2012-01-07, 03:58 AM
Not only will you have Scent, but you're pretty good for dungeon orientation as well. Half-Minotaurs have Minotaur Cunning, which lets them tell which way is North. And Dwarves can intuit depth.

Ability scores aside, this is an awesome template.