PDA

View Full Version : Familiars that don't breathe

FearlessGnome
2012-01-07, 07:02 AM
So for an epic game I'm applying for, I plan to have an underwater base. I intend to make the water unbreathable. Sadly, this is proving an inconvenience for most familiars. Are there any non-undead familiars that don't need to breathe? Alternatively, are there any undead familiars that kick ass (Or can be made undead and still kick ass)? I'm hesitant about undead ones because I'm not sure how the Fleshwarper's Aberrant Familiar ability would work with an undead.

Helldog
2012-01-07, 07:17 AM
If you're epic, you should have more than enough gold to buy an item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) who'll solve the problem. And if you're a caster (you should be if you have a familiar) then you should have a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/waterBreathing.htm) for it.

FearlessGnome
2012-01-07, 07:27 AM
Yes... However, magical solutions can be Disjunctioned or suppressed. As this is what I intend to do to any invader, I'd prefer not to be vulnerable to the same tactics myself.

Shadowleaf
2012-01-07, 07:56 AM
I think your best bet is to have your Familiar Shapechange into something that doesn't breathe and simply keeping it at bay until initial rounds of dispelling has been spent.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-07, 07:57 AM
An item familiar ring of telekinesis?
A oddly shaped SCUBA suit?

CTrees
2012-01-07, 08:45 AM
Well, Improved Familiar + a homunculus, certain mephits (water, ooze, etc.) or a small elemental will do it - those either don't breathe or can breathe water. Some of the dragons breathe water, too, I believe. Anyway, Handbook here (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html) (I'm less familiar with the breathing needs of the more exotic options).

Ravens_cry
2012-01-07, 10:44 AM
Apparently, Stormwrak has some underwater familiars, including an octopus and an eel.

Darrin
2012-01-07, 11:14 AM
Well, Improved Familiar + a homunculus, certain mephits (water, ooze, etc.) or a small elemental will do it - those either don't breathe or can breathe water. Some of the dragons breathe water, too, I believe. Anyway, Handbook here (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html) (I'm less familiar with the breathing needs of the more exotic options).

Also, Clockwork Minder (MM4). Very fragile, but has hands and from what I can tell nothing that says it can't speak.

Dragon Familiar (Draconomicon) would probably get you the strongest familiar. I think green and black can breath underwater? Topaz dragon (MMII) has the water subtype and Water Breathing (Ex). I'm not sure how you get around unbreathable water, though.

nyarlathotep
2012-01-07, 12:44 PM
None of the outsider familiars need to breath, so lantern archon, quasit, imp, etc are fine.

Nanoblack
2012-01-07, 01:21 PM
Well you can make pretty much any familiar a non-breathing entity with the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat out of Libris Mortis. Though it will change its type to undead.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-07, 03:08 PM
I intend to make the water unbreathable.

How exactly are you planing to do this anyway? I'm don't know any methods to accomplish this.

CTrees
2012-01-07, 03:20 PM
None of the outsider familiars need to breath, so lantern archon, quasit, imp, etc are fine.

Are you sure? That's what I thought, but when I double checked the SRD, outsiders explicitly need to breathe unless stated otherwise (but not eat or sleep, if they're not native). Might be being blind, but I couldn't find anything which said the handful of outsider familiars I checked (including the lantern archon and imp) don't need to breathe.

Machinekng
2012-01-07, 03:26 PM
How exactly are you planing to do this anyway? I'm don't know any methods to accomplish this.

I think there's an epic level spell in Stormwrack that does just that.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-07, 03:33 PM
Seas of blood does not prevent them from breathing but only damages them? :smallconfused: The only method I can think of is somehow flooding the entire place with aboleth mucus.

CTrees
2012-01-07, 03:47 PM
(re: unbreathable water) The entire ocean is mineral oil? Or alcohol >_>

Actually... I could have a lot of fun with an adventure on the elemental plane of earth, only to have the party encounter a lake of mineral oil. Surprise aquatic adventure! :smallbiggrin:

Treblain
2012-01-07, 04:09 PM
Guardian familiars (CW) are constructs.

FearlessGnome
2012-01-07, 04:59 PM

Well, if possible, I'm going to put the base in an area that is already Airless (As per page 13, Stormwrack) So not so much "make it" as just get it for free.

Randomguy
2012-01-07, 06:19 PM
I think any familiar would survive in a belt of many pockets, even underwater. I'm not sure, though.

There's an alchemical item that lets you breath in water. It's called an Auran mask, from complete mage. It only lasts 10 minutes though.

FearlessGnome
2012-01-10, 03:51 AM
Hm. Dragon mag 280 has a feat for making normal familiars constructs, but I seem to remember there being a later issue with actual new construct creatures that could be gotten with an Improved Familiar type feat. Any idea which issue that might be? Google fails me.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-10, 06:04 AM
Dragon 341

Temotei
2012-01-10, 06:08 AM
Seas of blood does not prevent them from breathing but only damages them? :smallconfused: The only method I can think of is somehow flooding the entire place with aboleth mucus.

Well, if possible, I'm going to put the base in an area that is already Airless (As per page 13, Stormwrack) So not so much "make it" as just get it for free.

Another possibility is making a spell to do just that, though it won't likely be free.

Psyren
2012-01-10, 09:51 AM
You could always be a Psion/Erudite - psicrystals don't breathe, and you can make all the same epic powers that casters can.

FearlessGnome
2012-01-10, 07:07 PM
Dragon 341

Thank you, that's the one.

Curious. I think the Salvage Rat is the only creature I've come across able to burrow through metal.