PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Style Feats

Volos
2012-01-07, 08:15 AM
After one enters a stance employed by a fighting style a style feat embodies, is there any condition, effect, or situation caused by an outside force that can cause one to drop or end the stance? (Style Feats, Ultimate Combat, pg 78) Example: A monk is first to act in combat, he has all three of the Crane Style feats. He uses a swift action on his turn to adopt the stance from the Crane Style. Does he remain in this stance until he dies and/or combat ends? Or is there a way an outside force can cause him to drop the stance? It would seem, by the reading of the Crane Style feats, that it takes no action on his part to auto-counter one melee attack per round. So even if he were paralyzed, he could turn aside one melee attack per round.

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 03:02 PM
1) Beyond obvious things like killing, paralyzing, or knocking the PC unconscious, I can't think of a way to neutralize the style once adopted (though, IFAIK, those conditions don't explicitly end the style).

2) WRT your example, the crane wing only works if the character is fighting defensively or using total defense, has one hand free, is aware of the attack, and is not flat-footed. A paralyzed character can't meet the first of those conditions (and arguably the second, since a paralyzed hand isn't really free to do anything). So even if the monk is technically in the crane style while paralyzed, they're getting no benefit from it.

Volos
2012-01-07, 03:07 PM
1) That was what I was thinking. Pazio should take a second look at this, perhaps making it drop when certain combat manuevers are successful against the character in question. Oh well.

2) That is true, I forgot the requirements for Crane Wing. The Crane Style is just really mean against Melee attackers. Crane Style plus Improved Trip and you have yourself a monk that is practically immune to melee.

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 03:20 PM
Monks can use some nice things. By the time you invest 3-feats (4 from a non-monk), I'd expect to get something pretty nice back. Most of the style feats aren't worth the cost anyway.