PDA

View Full Version : Mage:Ascencion help

Andreaz
2012-01-07, 08:33 AM
Hi!
I'm absolutely new to the Mage game, and I'll join a table for Ascencion. I want to make something along the lines of a martial artist mixed with investigator.
There are two big things I am in doubt, one of which is rather subjective
1) What spheres and kinds of magic should I do to enable those two aspects of my character's competencies?
2) How the hell can non-vulgar magic even be done for such types?

Timeras
2012-01-07, 10:38 AM
1) What spheres and kinds of magic should I do to enable those two aspects of my character's competencies?
I think there was an Entropy effect (possibly called Dim Mak, it's been a while) that let a mage recognise weaknesses and could be used to increase the damage of an attack, because you hit a vulnerable spot. Might be usefull for the martial arts part. For investigation you could use Life to examine bodies (can also be used to cause damage or heal). Mind could be used for lie detection.

2) How the hell can non-vulgar magic even be done for such types?

All effects that enhance perception (including Dim Mak) are coincidental, because nothing obvious happens. Other effects might require an explanation, depending on the situation.

Andreaz
2012-01-07, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I've seen using correspondence to make sure a car drift ends in the position you want so that the ensuing crash gets big, as well as using life to get myself so deadly (at their eyes) sick that someone has to open the cell and check, or fudging dice with forces to win gambles repeatedly.
My problem is more linked with combat itself. When the slightest touch of "I will punch you harder" comes up, things go vulgar.

Kish
2012-01-07, 10:46 AM
Unless your Storyteller has it in for buffing, I'd think it would be easy to use coincidental magic to enhance martial arts. Just make sure you stay in the Bruce Lee range rather than the Spiderman range.

Timeras
2012-01-07, 12:22 PM
My problem is more linked with combat itself. When the slightest touch of "I will punch you harder" comes up, things go vulgar.

I just reread the section about Dim Mak in my rulebook (second edition): "Using his knowledge of Entropy, an Akashik mage identifies the weakest parts of an inanimate structure or living body. By identifying these pressure points and then physically striking them, he inflicts one extra health level of damage for each succes scored when evoking the magickal Effect.
Nothing vulgar about this. It is an Entropy 1 Effect.

Andreaz
2012-01-07, 12:38 PM
Thanks, I'll go with that definitely. Probably gonna use time to make my attacks harder to defend against too, now that I think about it.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-01-07, 12:48 PM
If he's got enough Time, he could be able to 'get lucky' in terms of dodging hits by knowing where an opponent is going to try and land a blow in advance.

Andreaz
2012-01-07, 01:51 PM
If he's got enough Time, he could be able to 'get lucky' in terms of dodging hits by knowing where an opponent is going to try and land a blow in advance.
Defensive Precognition!

JeenLeen
2012-01-08, 11:27 PM
You should ask your Storyteller/DM how he's doing Spheres and Paradox. If you read the general description of the Spheres, and then read the rotes under them separately, you'll see plenty that don't make any sense as an internally consistent metaphysics.

For example, if Prime 5 is where you can start manipulating Life Patterns, then the level 1 or 2 rote where you can shock and maybe stun someone by messing up their flow of Quintessence makes no sense as a level 1/2 effect. It might be equally powerful to most level 1/2s, but metaphysically that makes no sense. (Dim Mak makes more sense as Entropy 1 does have letting you see the specifics of such things.)

I'm not arguing for one way or another, or for consistent metaphysics or not (though I have my preferences), but just reading the book won't give you a good enough perspective unless you know what your DM is going to do with it.

As for dox, just think of what, if you saw it, you would be able to easily rationalize away (assuming you are an example of a fairly average Sleeper.) In our game, any effect to increase accuracy is coincidental (Entropy 2), you can use Forces 2 to generally add 1 or 2 damage to any attack, and Life 3 can change Dex/Sta by 1. Low damage via Mind 3 works, but if it's high the universe notices someone blacked out randomly and doxes you. If you get shot, maybe the wound isn't as bad as you thought; heal 1 or 2 damage, but leave a bit. If it's bashing damage, you can probably get away with more.

A favorite of mine is having vials of water I coincidentally transmute into acid. Acid is the same color as water, so when it burns, whoever sees it must reckon it was always acid.

For your character, Akashic Brotherhood makes the most sense for your Tradition. I believe you can easily, with bonus points, get to Arete 3 with Spheres of 3/2/1. (You can get higher if you really min/max.) Since Mind is your specialty Sphere as an Akashi, I recommend Mind 3 / Life 2 / and Correspondence 1 (raise to 2 soon.) Mind 3 gives you a lot of info-gathering powers and lets you coincidentally influence minds, as well as a weak damaging power. Life 2 lets you heal yourself, basically, which is important for not dying. Corr 1, by the book, gives you insane senses for everything around you; my DM said you have to combine it with Matter 1 to sense through walls and such, but by the book you don't. With Corr 2, you can scry, letting you see wherever. Entropy 2 or Forces 2 could also work for increasing your accuracy or adding a little damage. Forces 2 also lets you do stuff like make yourself more stealthy (manipulate shadows or sound), usually coincidental. (Also allows flight, invisibility, and crazy damage if you go vulgar.)