PDA

View Full Version : Psych Research Results(in progress)

Protecar
2012-01-07, 11:26 AM
Hey all, I know it's been forever since this study so you may or may not remember if you participated but here's a quick rundown of some(but by no means all) of our findings:

You might be interested to know that neuroticism volatility tended more towards superstitious ideas while those who ranked high in intellect strayed away. Want more? Send me some questions and I'll see what I can answer. :smallbiggrin:

Fiery Diamond
2012-01-11, 01:20 PM
You realize that without having any prior idea what you're talking about, there's no way that I'm going to figure out what you're talking about? Because it's true, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm going to suspect until proven wrong that this thread has nothing to do with what's claimed, but is in fact some kind of experiment itself. Probably relating to curiosity or gullibility or something. Which makes me slightly hesitant to ask questions, lest I unwittingly be sucked in.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-01-11, 06:00 PM
I think he is referring to this earlier thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187528).

Protecar, would it be possible for us to see the results/disertation? I assume that this is for some form of dissertation. I am rather intrigued (and not sure how I missed this in the first place).

Morph Bark
2012-01-11, 08:05 PM
Hey all, I know it's been forever since this study so you may or may not remember if you participated but here's a quick rundown of some(but by no means all) of our findings:

You might be interested to know that neuroticism volatility tended more towards superstitious ideas while those who ranked high in intellect strayed away. Want more? Send me some questions and I'll see what I can answer. :smallbiggrin:

What about those high in both neuroticism volatility and intellect?

Fiery Diamond
2012-01-13, 07:57 PM
I think he is referring to this earlier thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187528).

Protecar, would it be possible for us to see the results/disertation? I assume that this is for some form of dissertation. I am rather intrigued (and not sure how I missed this in the first place).

In that case, I'll ask the questions that came to mind: what the hell is neuroticism volatility? What counts as superstitious ideas? How did you measure intellect? Strayed away from what?

Don Julio Anejo
2012-01-14, 01:10 AM
There's a million similar studies out there. General consensus is that while there is a statistically significant relationship between intelligence (high vs. low) and superstitious beliefs (present vs. absent), with intelligence and beliefs negatively correlated, however most such studies are also ripe in confounds. Example: high intelligence => more likely to go to college and develop an empirical or skeptical point of view.

Also, most studies I'm familiar with do not consider agnosticism as a superstitious belief, or put it in a separate category which is another confound, but I'll shut up about this now as it's skirting forum rules.

Not familiar with neuroticism vs. beliefs studies, but cool conclusion. Makes sense in hindsight too, but can't really discuss why.

Protecar
2012-01-31, 01:34 AM
Several valid points and questions. Unfortunately, I'm away from my information. I plan to give you all the dirty details as soon as I can though. I just forgot to check this thread for a while. :smallredface:

The one question I can answer off the top of my head: Neuroticism: Volatility is a subset of what's known as the Big Five of personality. It's the idea that your emotional/mental state tends to register a little on the erratic side. That's a gross simplification but I can go into greater detail later(perhaps tomorrow when I'm not running low on steam).

If you're interested in the scales used to ascertain this info I can also cite those tomorrow if I get a chance to jump on here.

Don Julio Anejo
2012-01-31, 02:31 AM
If you're interested in the scales used to ascertain this info I can also cite those tomorrow if I get a chance to jump on here.
Please :smallsmile:

As for neuroticism, I can't discuss why it would be related without breaking forum rules on religion, I've already agreed with you on this.