PDA

View Full Version : Being undetectable/untraceable

aza9999
2012-01-07, 04:24 PM
Ok, the story is that im a princess on the run from bad guys who have probably already killed my parents and now want me dead.

What methods can i use to hide?

My character was always a bit of a tomboy so she's been dressing more masculine and has cut her hair short, but a belt of masculinity would obviously be better.

Once you have gotten the gender change from a belt of masculinity/femininity is it detectable? Is there any aura or magically detectable way to tell that your gender has been changed, or that you are under the effect of a curse? Would it have any effect on scrying attempts (they're looking for a princess, not a prince, i figure it should at least give penalties).

The belt should take care of people recognising my in a mundane manner, but what other methods are there to prevent magically locating me?

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-07, 04:31 PM
Line your clothes with lead. A nice added bonus is a inability to procreate.

Or get a hat of disguise.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location works well as well.

Liberal use of the mundane disguise skill and a change of outfit can work wonders.

If you're rolling in money(you're a princess after all!) get a weirdstone to lock down all teleportation and divination in a mile wide radius. No scrying and dying for you wizards!

aza9999
2012-01-07, 04:54 PM
I had to escape in the middle of the nite and am on the run incognito, so dont have access to great wads of cash (although we're starting to make a bit through adventuring)

The Big Bad will most likely either be, or have access to a powerful mage, so any magic (like non-detection) that has an opposed caster check will need to be pretty powerful.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-07, 05:01 PM
Nystul's Magic Aura can be used to suppress the aura of magic your magical items possess, making it difficult to use Detect Magic to spot you. There is no caster level check, it simply registers as non-magical.

It's a first level spell, and has a duration of days/level.

As for the rest, it's impossible to say which of the many tactics would work for you without a character breakdown.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-07, 05:01 PM
Line your cloths with lead, seriously, it really works (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#scrying)

Lead sheeting blocks a scrying spell, and you sense that the spell is so blocked.

aza9999
2012-01-07, 05:19 PM
currently a 2swordsage/3scout, with rest of my levels planned to be scout/swordsage, possibly a couple ranger levels thrown in (to get skirmish to apply to favored enemies through swift hunter feat)

We have a bard, warblade and shugenja in the party, all level 4/5 (its an oriental themed campaign).

The lead sheeting is probably not practical for clothing :smallbiggrin:, but it does raise the possibility of using it on things like buildings/carriages when i need to hide out.

We've had a couple parties of bad guys who are looking for me come across the party, but at the moment no indication if they were sent there by a mage directing them or if they just stumbled across us through mundane searching.

Word has come out from the palace since the nite we escaped saying that "there was a small fire and the princess ran away, and now the king is looking for the princess" with a reward offered so there are more than just the bad guys looking for us.
Of course no one has actually seen my parents since that night, and there was no mention of the ninja assassins that slayed a ton of the royal guard (hmmm thats not suspicious at all :smalltongue:)