PDA

View Full Version : Build Analysis: Claw Bardlock

Snowbluff
2012-01-07, 05:19 PM
Ok... here's my take on the build: Warlock 6/Bard3/HLlock3/LegacyChamp8 (Subbing Bard for Harmonious Pally, if that kind of pally counts as bard music, like a bard)

Rule:

2 Flaws
4d6 (drop lowest) stats
Level 7
Freedom on books, don't break things.

So... what I have so far:

Race: Dragonborn (RotD), grants Dragonblood, sucks considerably less than Spellscale, as I don't know spells, Con loss sucks, and I can tack on any extra stat mod's I want with Dragonborn (thinking lesser Aasimar for +2 cha added to -2 dex, +2 Con)

Another good option is to take Silverbrow Human (Dragon Magic). Thanks, Treblain!

Feats:
6: Beaststrike (assuming certain thinks the DM will allow Pally to count as bard, etc.)
3:Elderitch Claws? (Starting notice I cant possibly qualify for half these things at once)
1: The other song-feat. (I don't qualify Cuz I don't know Bardic Music yet if take WL first to get Eldritch claws. Fortunately, I own a Lute. Supposedly that'll give me Bardic Music.)
Flaw1: Imp Unarmed (PHB :P). I need it for Beaststrike.
Flaw2: Was going to put Shape Soulmeld (MoI) here for HFlock (Don't dispute it, I am just telling you it's here). I don't actually need it until level 10, but nothing else fits here.
Human: Whichever song feat that feat fits here.

Snap Kick (ToB) will go in my 9th level feat slot, it looks like. Seems to be the only reason to take Beaststrike, anyway. Unless I am supposed to make melee attack with my fists or extra damage, iterative attacks, etc.

Also, I bought Heywards Hall for Skill Focus: Perform

Alternative option: Convince my DM skill boosting feats should give Skill Ranks. Take Heartfire Fanner (Dragon #314) for levels 7-9, apply caster levels to WL (I need 6 in WL to apply for HFlock). HFF also grants 2 (fighter?) bonus feats at 1 and 3 (ECL 7 and 9). I don't know HFF's

Tell Bard and Pally levels to suck it, which will make this build not half as hilarious (Need to fluff myself as bard or pally). Take 2 level in generic warrior. Use one feat for Negotiator, the other in Magical Apprentice from PGtF, qualify by once being correct race (RAW say no, but nowhere in Dragonborn does it say your brain melts and you forget where/how you spent your life beforehand), beg DM for forgiveness. WL doesn't normally qualify as casting spells, but this should, allowing so you to qualify for HFF.

Aso, take one level in fighter.

For this build, use you Human feat for Skill Knowledge (UA), so you can meet the prerequisites for HFW (You need Knowledge: The Planes)

I still qualify for Beast Strike this way. Fighter's feat, maybe use if for... idk, something has to go here. Least Legacy counting as a Fighter would would be nice.

For HFF, use the feat at ECL 9 for Snap Kick, ECL 7 fighter feats needs something, too. Use it for Beast Strike, so you can take Song of the Heart(Ebberon again) at 6th level.

Then, do some math. 3 WL + 3 HFlock + 3 HFF + 6 Legacy (as in 6 level at 8)= 12. At twelfth WL level, you get neither more Eldritch Blast, more Invocations, for 2d6 more HF Blast. UNACCEPTABLE. You need power levels! Powergaming, powerblasting, powerhitting, powersneakattack! One million Sneakattack! Example: 2 levels in generic Expert can grant 5d6 sneak attack by dropping 7 and 8 of Legacy Champ, for only 1 level lost in HF Lock. It's things like this that make my think no one actually plays using Weapons of Legacy.

I think I'll go with that last method. Tried my best to give all sources. My analysis of the Claw Bardlock is that it's hyperactive, trying to do too much at once, resulting in a feat based mess. Feats are where it fails. So hard. Dropping claws or Inspire Courage would result in something less messy, complicating, and cringeworthy. That being said, theoretically (well, more like "actually") the extra damage d6 from from Hellfi- er... DRAGONfire Inspiration should be pretty good for the whole party.

So! What do you think?

What should I do with these fighter bonus feats?

Who made this original concept? Isn't it ridiculous?

Whats the BaB on HeartfireFanner? Please tell me it's full!

And how do you format the spoiler box on this thread?

Zale
2012-01-07, 10:56 PM
<Posting for the sake of posting in a way that adds nothing to the thread at all>

Which is what I do nine times out of ten, anyway.. :smallcool:

Snowbluff
2012-01-07, 10:58 PM
<Posting for the sake of posting in a way that adds nothing to the thread at all>

Which is what I do nine times out of ten, anyway.. :smallcool:

You know I've always like the people with the Bard for their avatar the most. You, Schneekey, etc. I think I might have mine changed to the bard while I wait for someone to make me a personal one. :smallsmile:

Zale
2012-01-07, 11:02 PM
Bards are awesome, aren't they?

Snowbluff
2012-01-07, 11:04 PM
Bards are awesome, aren't they?

Yep. Why do you think I am trying this? :smallbiggrin:

Treblain
2012-01-08, 01:54 AM
IIRC, Inspire Competence is a prereq for Song of the Heart, so you can't trade it out if you want SotH. Sorry.

Also, while HFW is inexplicably not deemed evil by RAW, you might want to check with your DM about Hellfire and Words of Creation in the same build.

If you need another feat, you can be Silverbrow Human (Dragon Magic) to get the dragonblood subtype.

Snowbluff
2012-01-08, 01:24 PM
IIRC, Inspire Competence is a prereq for Song of the Heart, so you can't trade it out if you want SotH. Sorry.

Also, while HFW is inexplicably not deemed evil by RAW, you might want to check with your DM about Hellfire and Words of Creation in the same build.

If you need another feat, you can be Silverbrow Human (Dragon Magic) to get the dragonblood subtype.

OKay, I'll move of the heart... actually, my current build has 1 level in HFF, which makes me function as a 5th level bard, I'll push some feats around. I'll do somework to make the Paladin version work better.

My DM is okay with it. Generally, my super care bear attitude and building in the interest of buffing my party makes this sort of thing fine with my DM.

Oh... my... god. I can't believe I forgot about Silverbrow human. *facepalm* I'll fix some these later today.