PDA

View Full Version : [PFS] Crossbow Inquisitor

RndmNumGen
2012-01-07, 06:49 PM
I played my first Pathfinder Society game yesterday after rolling up a Human Inquisitor. When I first made my character I didn't put much thought into later levels, but I had enough fun that I'm interested in continuing the character, though I'm not sure where I want to take it. Here is what I have so far:

Attributes:
10 STR
20 DEX
12 CON
10 INT
14 WIS
7 CHA

Traits: Reactionary(+2 to Initiative), World Traveler(+1 Know: Local)
Feats: Rapid Reload(Heavy Crossbow), Point-Blank Shot

I was planning on taking Manyshot and then Crossbow Mastery at 3rd and 5th, but I'm not sure what to do after that. Deadly Aim maybe? Anyone know what works well with Inquisitors?

DrDeth
2012-01-07, 07:39 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd have a higher WIS, instead of a 20 DEX.

grarrrg
2012-01-07, 07:52 PM
Attributes:
10 STR
20 DEX
12 CON
10 INT
14 WIS
7 CHA

Traits: Reactionary(+2 to Initiative), World Traveler(+1 Know: Local)
Feats: Rapid Reload(Heavy Crossbow), Point-Blank Shot

I was planning on taking Manyshot and then Crossbow Mastery at 3rd and 5th, but I'm not sure what to do after that. Deadly Aim maybe? Anyone know what works well with Inquisitors?

It think you mean Rapid Shot, not Manyshot. You won't have the Bab for Manyshot until level 8.

And while the Inquisitor is a good "do anything" type class, archery is still probably its weakest choice.
Part of the problem with going Archery, is that there are no Teamwork feats that support it.

Going Zen Archer Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/zen-archer) for 2-to-6 levels would net you a LOT of archery feats quickly, and Flurry of Bows (effectively) means you don't have to spend a feat on Rapid Shot.

RndmNumGen
2012-01-07, 08:00 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd have a higher WIS, instead of a 20 DEX.
PFS only goes up to level 12, so I will only ever be able to cast 4th-level spells. I suppose higher DCs could be nice, but mostly I plan on shooting things.

It think you mean Rapid Shot, not Manyshot. You won't have the Bab for Manyshot until level 8.

And while the Inquisitor is a good "do anything" type class, archery is still probably its weakest choice.
Part of the problem with going Archery, is that there are no Teamwork feats that support it.

Going Zen Archer Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/zen-archer) for 2-to-6 levels would net you a LOT of archery feats quickly, and Flurry of Bows (effectively) means you don't have to spend a feat on Rapid Shot.

Hmm... I do see your point about the teamwork feats, though there are some good ones like Enfilading Fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/enfilading-fire-combat-teamwork) and Target of Opportunity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/target-of-opportunity-combat-teamwork). Taking levels of Zen Archer Monk would definitely give me some useful abilities and feats, though it would weaken my spells and delay getting Bane... hmm...

grarrrg
2012-01-07, 08:41 PM
Hmm... I do see your point about the teamwork feats, though there are some good ones like Enfilading Fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/enfilading-fire-combat-teamwork) and Target of Opportunity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/target-of-opportunity-combat-teamwork). Taking levels of Zen Archer Monk would definitely give me some useful abilities and feats, though it would weaken my spells and delay getting Bane... hmm...

Hmm...Somehow I missed the 2 archery teamwork feats.
Either way, you'll have to blow your First freebie Teamwork on something less useful, you still need to meet the pre-reqs of your Team-feats, and of the 2 you listed, one requires Bab 6, and the other needs "one other teamwork feat". *le sigh*

My Other Suggestion is to Dip like there's no tomorrow!
*warning: Other Suggestion not suitable for small children. please consult a physician before use of Other Suggestion. do not taunt Other Suggestion. do not use Other Suggestion while operating heavy machinery*
Zen Monk 2 nets you 2 feats.
Fighter 2 nets you 2 feats.
Ranger 2 nets you 1 feat.
Rogue 2 nets you 1 feat (as a Rogue Talent)
Might as well throw some Druid or maybe Expert in there while we're at it.
Actually now that I think about it, some Commoner might really make the build tick....

DrDeth
2012-01-08, 01:02 AM
PFS only goes up to level 12, so I will only ever be able to cast 4th-level spells. I suppose higher DCs could be nice, but mostly I plan on shooting things. ..

From the PRD:

"Monster Lore (Ex): The inquisitor adds her Wisdom modifier on Knowledge skill checks in addition to her Intelligence modifier, when making skill checks to identify the abilities and weaknesses of creatures."

"Cunning Initiative (Ex): At 2nd level, an inquisitor adds her Wisdom modifier on initiative checks, in addition to her Dexterity modifier."

DrDeth
2012-01-08, 01:08 AM
My Other Suggestion is to Dip like there's no tomorrow!
*warning: Other Suggestion not suitable for small children. please consult a physician before use of Other Suggestion. do not taunt Other Suggestion. do not use Other Suggestion while operating heavy machinery*
Zen Monk 2 nets you 2 feats.
Fighter 2 nets you 2 feats.
Ranger 2 nets you 1 feat.
Rogue 2 nets you 1 feat (as a Rogue Talent)
Might as well throw some Barbarian or something in there while we're at it.

And each time you dip, you lose spell progression, Bane progression, and esp Judgement progression. You also lose one HP per level.

Better archer, worse Inquisitor. When you dip like this, you never should enter the Inquisitor class in the 1st place, just go Fighter.

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 02:17 AM
"Monster Lore (Ex): The inquisitor adds her Wisdom modifier on Knowledge skill checks in addition to her Intelligence modifier, when making skill checks to identify the abilities and weaknesses of creatures."

"Cunning Initiative (Ex): At 2nd level, an inquisitor adds her Wisdom modifier on initiative checks, in addition to her Dexterity modifier."

The bonus to ID monsters is nice but not that big a deal. He ended up putting the points Dex, so the loss in initiative is offset.

Though I agree with your second post: better off just going straight inquisitor.

RndmNumGen
2012-01-08, 03:27 AM
Not to mention dipping Monk or Rogue will lower my overall BAB, and with something like Bane I'll be wanted to get those iterative attacks in earlier. It may be worth it to dip Fighter for the bonus feats, but I'm still hesitant. Ranger probably wouldn't be worth it, as it's just like fighter but I get a favored enemy instead of the first bonus feat.

So yeah, I'm thinking just straight Inquisitor for now, unless there is a particular reason I will want to get a feat ASAP. As far as teamwork feats go, I was considering taking Escape Route (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/escape-route-combat-teamwork) for my third level feat; it doesn't really help my archery, but it does provide mobility and helps me get out of troublesome situations. Are there any better options?

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 05:08 AM
Lookout (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lookout-combat-teamwork)is useful. The extra shot to avoid being surprised is nice (though you probably have the perception in the group already), but the real prize is the potential to take a full round action in the surprise round.

grarrrg
2012-01-08, 01:54 PM
And each time you dip, you lose spell progression, Bane progression, and esp Judgement progression. You also lose one HP per level.

Better archer, worse Inquisitor. When you dip like this, you never should enter the Inquisitor class in the 1st place, just go Fighter.

And yet, no one inferred from the lengthy disclaimer that it was intended as a mere jest?

DrDeth
2012-01-08, 09:25 PM
And yet, no one inferred from the lengthy disclaimer that it was intended as a mere jest?

Ok, then sorry, :smallsigh::smallredface:but you know with all the Munchkins around here more or less suggesting the same thing, it's kinda hard to tell. Maybe next time, use a smiley. :smallbiggrin:

grarrrg
2012-01-08, 10:39 PM
Ok, then sorry, :smallsigh::smallredface:but you know with all the Munchkins around here more or less suggesting the same thing, it's kinda hard to tell. Maybe next time, use a smiley. :smallbiggrin:

It has now been edited for greater clarity of meaning.
(still no smilies though)