PDA

View Full Version : Die Roller

Viktyr Gehrig
2012-01-08, 01:27 AM
Is this the right forum for website suggestions?

I like Fudge games, and especially FATE games. Would it be possible to add a Fudge die roller to the Die Roller script? Fudge dice are basically three sided dice labeled "+" "-" and " "; multiple Fudge dice are rolled at one time and then added to a fixed modifier-- the die roller would have to show both the total and the individual die results.

Please? Pretty please? I'll run games with it if you add it.

Eldest
2012-01-08, 01:59 AM
Try rolling "1d3-2" for one fudge due, 2d3-4 for two, and (since you generally use four dice) 4d3-8. I'm in a FATE game right now, so I just learned that trick.

Viktyr Gehrig
2012-01-08, 02:49 AM
Try rolling "1d3-2" for one fudge due, 2d3-4 for two, and (since you generally use four dice) 4d3-8. I'm in a FATE game right now, so I just learned that trick.

Yeah, but then you have to count the dice separately and remember that 1 = -1, 2 = 0, and 3 = +1-- and then calculate your skill mod -8. I mean, it's a workable solution, but it's a terrible kludge.

Circle of Life
2012-01-08, 03:26 AM
I don't play Fudge, so I may be misunderstanding something, but is there a reason you cannot simply use rollv tags (not normal roll tags) with 3-sided dice, with each of the results (1-3) representing one of the three symbols?

Kumori
2012-01-08, 03:40 AM
I don't play Fudge, so I may be misunderstanding something, but is there a reason you cannot simply use rollv tags (not normal roll tags) with 3-sided dice, with each of the results (1-3) representing one of the three symbols?

This is what I was gonna suggest. I second it instead. Might mean a little bit of thinking after each roll, but it's probably the best you're gonna get.

Heliomance
2012-01-10, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but then you have to count the dice separately and remember that 1 = -1, 2 = 0, and 3 = +1-- and then calculate your skill mod -8. I mean, it's a workable solution, but it's a terrible kludge.

No you don't. The -8 bit happens automatically. 1d3-2 will produce -1, 0, or 1. Thus, 4d3-8 will produce a number between -4 and 4, as required.

Viktyr Gehrig
2012-01-10, 01:47 PM
True, but then you don't have individual die results and you still have to add your result to your skill total. I'm not saying it's totally unworkable, just that the functionality of the die roller for Fudge-type games can be tremendously improved-- and that at least one person would really appreciate it if it were.

Temotei
2012-01-10, 04:19 PM
True, but then you don't have individual die results and you still have to add your result to your skill total. I'm not saying it's totally unworkable, just that the functionality of the die roller for Fudge-type games can be tremendously improved-- and that at least one person would really appreciate it if it were.

4d3 will give you individual die results.

Knaight
2012-01-12, 09:03 PM
4d3 will give you individual die results.

However, it won't give you the correct number, so it is merely a kludge from a different direction. The dF is probably used enough for its inclusion to be taken seriously, even though there are workarounds.

Zeb The Troll
2012-01-13, 02:08 AM
I'm not sure I understand the issue apart from "it's not as aesthetic as I'd like". I've never used Fudge, so maybe I'm just missing something.

If you want a total roll, you can use xd3-2x and get a total. Apply modifiers as necessary.

If you want individual rolls, you can use

1d3-2
1d3-2
1d3-2

Add modifiers as necessary.

If you want to just have a final answer with modifiers added in, why can't you just use the aforementioned xd3-2x and tweak it to include the modifiers? So, if you have a +2 modifier on a 4dF roll, you'd just use 4d3-6 and all the work is still done for you.

:smallconfused:

Snowbody
2012-01-13, 09:04 AM
I think his point is that it's not easy to use, and requires that you do additional math. This is a computer program; computers are supposed to do math and other grunt work that's inconvenient for people.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-16, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand the issue apart from "it's not as aesthetic as I'd like".

Well, you know... Math Is Tough. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0cvqT1tAE) :smalltongue: