PDA

View Full Version : [PFR] Sword & Board Paladin - Low Dex

Vanzanze
2012-01-08, 01:36 AM
I currently have a relatively difficult problem that I'm hoping one of you chaps has a workaround for. My Pathfinder Paladin (Warrior of Light version) has low Dex (10), and therefore does not qualify for TWF. However, I very much want him to be a shield basher anyway, and have taken Improved Shield Bash as a result. I just spend one round on one weapon and the next round on the other.

Outside of leveling to 6+, is there a way that I can make a 2nd-level 10 Dex Paladin viable as a Sword & Board combo guy at 3rd level?

I mean, he feels like less of a follower of Iomedae only being able to get off one attack per round ...

Circle of Life
2012-01-08, 01:42 AM
If you're allowed 3.5 material, the Agile Shield Fighter feat is like TWF, but with a shield bash for the offhand, and doesn't require 13 Dex.

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 01:54 AM
Off the top of my head, the only thing I can suggest is taking a 2-level dip in Ranger to grab TWF as a combat style feat (you don't need to meet the prereqs but you'd be limited to medium or lighter armor).

You'd really be hurting the progression of your pally powers, though, so I'd advise you to bite the bullet and put up with a single attack until level 6.

Vanzanze
2012-01-08, 02:02 AM
If you're allowed 3.5 material, the Agile Shield Fighter feat is like TWF, but with a shield bash for the offhand, and doesn't require 13 Dex.
I'll have to ask my DM this. We actually just had a minor discussion about wishing there were "special weapon feats" (like the axe/sword, etc. combinations in 3.5) for just these occasions. It's worth a shot, for sure.

You'd really be hurting the progression of your pally powers, though, so I'd advise you to bite the bullet and put up with a single attack until level 6.
I was also afraid someone might say this. In that case, I suppose I'm REALLY regretting that we're on the Medium advancement tables. *laugh*

--

Also, while I'm here, I just have to say that these forums (fora?) have saved my butt on more than one occasion. Thank you all for being here, from the bottom of my heart.

fryplink
2012-01-08, 10:56 AM
Also, while I'm here, I just have to say that these forums (fora?) have saved my butt on more than one occasion. Thank you all for being here, from the bottom of my heart.

Didn't know anything on this forum could be so important.

Anyway, what are your other scores and how did you determine them, for when you can't get the right feats with your scores, try to change your scores. Also how lenient is your DM concerning these things?

Vanzanze
2012-01-08, 11:40 AM
Didn't know anything on this forum could be so important.

You'd be surprised.

Anyway, what are your other scores and how did you determine them, for when you can't get the right feats with your scores, try to change your scores. Also how lenient is your DM concerning these things?

Rolled for stats, a 6-set at a time, with the ability to keep rolling sets until I got one I wanted. IIRC, I had 18, 14, 14, 12, 11, 10.

STR 18, CHA 14 (+2 for human), CON 14, INT 12 (I like skills), DEX 11 (because I'm in heavy armor), WIS 10 (since I'm a non-spellcasting variant, and therefore, do not need Wisdom).

Now, at the beginning, I willingly forfeited 2 points of Wisdom because I wanted to play a buffoon (we're RPers for serious) who thinks everyone behaves just like the characters in "The Eleven Acts of Iomedae," and therefore believes everything he hears. He's also a farm boy who basically "heard the call" one day whilst shoveling horse dung and never looked back.

I might could talk him into allowing the two points I gave up to come back as DEX ... which would qualify me for the bare-minimum on everything.

I'll keep everyone posted.